DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Eagle (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/587453-eagle.html)

Patman 02-12-11 06:57 PM

The Eagle

Channing Tatum plays a Roman leader (Marcus) and Jamie Bell plays a slave (Esca) from Britain in 140 AD. Marcus's father led the 9th Legion (5000 soldiers) into north Britain 20 years earlier, only to never return, and the Eagle (the Roman golden standard that's carried into conquest activities) was lost with this venture. Although saddled with his father's failure throughout his life, Marcus rises through the military ranks, but his heroics land him with injuries and a discharge. Soon enough after his recovery, he takes pity on Esca, who was fighting in a gladiator-like match and overmatched, and Esca becomes Marcus's slave. Marcus goes walkabout with Esca to find out what happened to his father and the 9th Legion and to recapture the Eagle, if he can.

For the most part, the film plays it pretty straight with the look and tone, but it's not overly engaging. Plus Tatum's attempt at a Roman/English accent sounds forced and unnatural. The battle scenes, and close-quarter action scenes were decent, though. If you like this sort of genre of film, I think it'll be mildly interesting.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

mh4268 02-12-11 07:39 PM

Re: The Eagle

I'm seeing this Monday, hopefully will be fun.

GoldenJCJ 02-13-11 10:10 AM

The plot has me slightly intrigued but Channing Tatum's presence knocks this down to a rental for me. I'd have been a lot more excited for this had it starred someone with a bit more talent.

RocShemp 02-13-11 05:19 PM

I have no issues with Channing Tatum and the movie looks good to me. I'll definitely go see it.

Defiant1 02-13-11 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 10636118)
Channing Tatum plays a Roman leader...

That's where you lost me. I never acted in my life and I bet I'm like Daniel Day-Lewis compared to him.

Solid Snake 02-13-11 10:38 PM

....DDL as a Roman Leader? Hrm....wonder what he would do to prepare for that role? I want to see that movie for sure.

JumpCutz 02-13-11 10:59 PM

IMHO Channing Tatum is a dreadful actor with zero charisma.

terrible chong 02-14-11 01:57 AM

Channing Tatum is a block of wood, but I'm a sucker for this Roman legion stuff. Look to the Aquila!

EDIT: I see Tatum's character is named Aquila. That's pretty corny.

Solid Snake 02-14-11 02:15 AM

lol....nice

Ash Ketchum 02-14-11 09:31 AM

If Hercules was in it, I'd go see it.

SuckaMC 02-14-11 10:37 AM

I reeeeeally don't like Tatum. BUT, he really surprised me with his performance in The Dilemma. I didn't even realize it was him at first. I'm not gonna rush out and see this, but his presence doesn't make me as nervous anymore.

TGM 02-06-12 06:10 PM

I caught this on Starz... I actually thought it was pretty good. Channing Tatum has all of the charisma of a fart in a spacesuit, but there were some pretty good battle sequences, and Jamie Bell stole the show. 3/5.

RocShemp 02-07-12 07:06 AM

I liked Tatum in this but it was really the Jamie Bell show. :up:

E Unit 02-07-12 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11105776)
I liked Tatum in this but it was really the Jamie Bell show. :up:

Yep, my thoughts exactly. My wife called this movie "Gladiator Lite", which I have to agree with. I did enjoy it though. Still scratchign my head at why/how Channing Tatum is getting such big roles.