DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", Part One of Planned Trilogy [4-15-11] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/587442-ayn-rands-atlas-shrugged-part-one-planned-trilogy-%5B4-15-11%5D.html)

Count Dooku 02-12-11 03:11 PM

Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", Part One of Planned Trilogy [4-15-11]

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6W07bFa4TzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://filmpopper.com/wp-content/upl...er-199x300.jpg

The film adaptation of Ayn Rand's massive novel Atlas Shrugged is coming to theaters in April. This is part one of a planned trilogy about the collapse of society after government control over business forces industrialists to withdraw from activity.

Always listed as one of the best-selling and most influential books of the second half of the 20th Century, plans for a film version of the Rand novel have been around for decades but none have come to fruition. Over the last decade, there was speculation that Angelina Jolie's casting as the idealized heroine Dagny Taggart would be the push necessary to get the movie made. One obstacle to the production was the acknowledgment that to do justice to the story, the project would have to be either a TV mini-series or a multi-part film series like The Lord of the Rings.

The version of Atlas Shrugged to be released this April is a decidedly different affair than the one envisioned by Rand fans. The film's budget is just $15 million (estimated) and there are no big names attached to the project.

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/ne...ling_20317.jpg
The role of Dagny Taggart is played by actress Taylor Schilling, best known (if at all) for starring in the NBC hospital drama "Mercy".

The film's director is Paul Johansson, one of the stars of "One Tree Hill" who has directed episodes of that TV series.

Atlas Shrugged premiered its movie trailer at the CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference) in Washington D.C. this week, and the film's producers have associated themselves with the Tea Party group Freedom Works. (Note that the premiere date is Tax Day April 15th.)

:shrug:
By aligning the film with the political right wing are the producers self-marginalizing what ought to be something with broad appeal?
Atlas Shrugged was one of the most read books of the last 50 years.
Why treat it like Kirk Cameron's Left Behind movies?

The Antipodean 02-12-11 03:14 PM

Re: Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", Part One of Planned Trilogy [4-15-11]

I read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged when I was 19 or so and quite got into them, but in the years since it seems like every time I hear them mentioned it's been hijacked as some right-wing cause. I tried rereading the Fountainhead a year or two ago (I'm 40 now) and found it didn't hold up very well for me. Maybe Rand's stuff you need to read when you're young. I read a bio of her a few years ago too and found her a pretty terrible human being myself.....

PopcornTreeCt 02-12-11 03:22 PM

Surprised to see so many familiar faces. It actually looks better than I expected from a movie embraced by the right.

Supermallet 02-12-11 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 10635886)
By aligning the film with the political right wing are the producers self-marginalizing what ought to be something with broad appeal?

Here's hoping they do. The last thing we need is a resurgence of popularity for Ayn Rand.

DonnachaOne 02-12-11 03:32 PM

I liked the "yeah, but you shouldn't say it" line. The rest of the trailer looks and feels like a Funny or Die sketch.

RichC2 02-12-11 03:37 PM

The acting and production qualities look about on par with those religious movies that get released and laughed at -- I guess this will be the Tea Party equivalent.

I've never read the book, but the content looks better than the movie can afford. It also kind of looks like Wall Street 3: Train Boogaloo.

jfoobar 02-12-11 03:46 PM

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/atl...movie-preview/

Last night, the CPAC Bloggers Bash attendees were “treated” to an excruciatingly long preview of the forthcoming “Atlas Shrugged” movie, which will hit a theater near you on April 15. Actually, it’ll just be Part I. Like the Lord of the Rings, this will be a trilogy.

Judging by the preview, I can fully understand why it took more than two decades to find a studio to produce the flick. This is quite possibly the most boring film ever made — and I include documentaries that are shown in grammar school so that children can request to view them backwards.

Put it this way: I simply do not know enough expletives to adequately express how truly horrible this film was. I would rather be subjected to the “Clockwork Orange” treatment than sit through one part of this. I might well prefer death to enduring the trilogy.
What Joyner and others watched was four extended scenes from the film, if I am not mistaken. So not a complete review, but hardly a ringing endorsement.

dhmac 02-12-11 03:59 PM

Aren't sitting through this & the "Clockwork Orange" treatment exactly the same thing?

Jason 02-12-11 06:12 PM

No, the producers are self-marginalizing by making a film out of a absurd book that most people ridicule.

I'm sure it will make a nice double feature with Kirk Cameron's firman movie.

Supermallet 02-12-11 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 10636070)

The Human Fir!

Count Dooku 02-12-11 06:53 PM

:shrug:
Atlas Shrugged was one of the most read books of the last 50 years.
Why treat it like Kirk Cameron's Left Behind movies?

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 10636070)
No, the producers are self-marginalizing by making a film out of a absurd book that most people ridicule.

See, I just don't get that.

I understand that in the contemporary political landscape that fact that right-wingers have embraced the book means that left-wingers must attack it.

But it's a novel. It's not the far-right equivalent of the collected writings of Karl Marx. It's a story about rich people fighting and fucking.

I'm not denying the philosophical foundation of the book, but I doubt that the millions of people who read it (usually when they were young) and loved it, were (or are) hard-core ideologues. They were drawn to the romanticism of the story of idealized men and women falling in love and changing the world.

Money. Power. Sex. Love. Even people who vote Democratic --or don't vote at all, like to go to movies about those things.

Supermallet 02-12-11 07:04 PM

To me, the book's ideology is inextricably linked with its turgid tale. But even then, it's not a left or right issue, to me it's that Rand was a terrible and horribly overrated writer whose popularity still confounds me.

Troy Stiffler 02-12-11 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10636126)
To me, the book's ideology is inextricably linked with its turgid tale. But even then, it's not a left or right issue, to me it's that Rand was a terrible and horribly overrated writer whose popularity still confounds me.

Hey, she gets attention the same way that Fox News (and Reality TV Shows) does - by being very provocative. You may or may not like her. But she had a lot to say. And it made enough sense for people to latch onto.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FzGFytGBDN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bUwTHn-9hhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6N4KbLbGYgk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-q7cje1I3VM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qfqq4VKh1xM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Poor old lady. Getting picked on by Phil Donahue. Won't somebody please step in and help her!?! Oh, wait.

Count Dooku 02-12-11 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10636126)

A turgid tale based on an inexplicably popular book. No one can make a successful movie out of that!

Supermallet 02-12-11 07:24 PM

:lol: I don't see any vampires in this movie, do you, Count?

Patman 02-12-11 07:32 PM

They had me at "Taylor Schilling".

Count Dooku 02-12-11 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10636148)
:lol: I don't see any vampires in this movie, do you, Count?

Just metaphoric ones like Wesley Mouch, whose collectivist governmental policies suck the life-blood out of the free enterprise economy.

Or maybe this guy will do a cameo

GenPion 02-12-11 07:47 PM

I suspect this will bomb. Left wing or right wing -- it doesn't matter. This movie looks bad.

Boba Fett 02-12-11 08:42 PM

Ayn Rand's ideas have already been adapted as good as we'll ever get or could hope for in the form of BIOSHOCK.

Josh-da-man 02-12-11 09:29 PM

Looks like it's going to be certified piece of shit in the tradition of "The Omega Code" and "Left Behind: The Movie."

On the plus side, expect it to sweep the Razzies.

Josh-da-man 02-12-11 09:32 PM

...and by the way, did anyone else think They killed mah Cooter! whenever Hank Rearden was onscreen? :lol:

Lateralus 02-12-11 10:02 PM

Wow that looks bad.

DeputyDave 02-12-11 10:37 PM

The trailer looks OK, not my normal type of movie, but perfectly average. Based solely on the trailer I can't understand the hate. I can only assume it is politically motivated. No surprise.

Eric D. 02-12-11 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave (Post 10636362)
The trailer looks OK, not my normal type of movie, but perfectly average. Based solely on the trailer I can't understand the hate. I can only assume it is politically motivated. No surprise.

Way to label everyone based on an assumption and then judge them on it. :up:

Maybe, it's because the trailer looks like a low budget piece of shit with terrible acting? Naw, it must be politics. :rolleyes:

Matthew Chmiel 02-12-11 11:20 PM

... and this is why the liberals will continue to run Hollywood. Thank you a very much.