Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", Part One of Planned Trilogy [4-15-11]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", Part One of Planned Trilogy [4-15-11]

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", Part One of Planned Trilogy [4-15-11]

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Way to label everyone based on an assumption and then judge them on it.

Maybe, it's because the trailer looks like a low budget piece of shit with terrible acting? Naw, it must be politics.
No, in my opinion it doesn't look that bad. Not something I'd go to see but that's more for the content, not the quality. So based on that my opinion is the hate is more geared towards the political nature of the source material. I would not be surprised if most of the more extreme reaction came from people with more left leaning ideologies.
Old 02-12-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am a liberal, and that had absolutely nothing to do with why I said it looked bad and will likely bomb. Eric D. had it right.
Old 02-13-11, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
I am a liberal, and that had absolutely nothing to do with why I said it looked bad and will likely bomb. Eric D. had it right.
I guess we are entitled to our own opinions. Isn't that nice.
Old 02-13-11, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, It is nice that we are entitled to our own opinions. I was merely expressing my own feelings on the film.

I meant no harm with my comments.
Old 02-13-11, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
No, in my opinion it doesn't look that bad. Not something I'd go to see but that's more for the content, not the quality. So based on that my opinion is the hate is more geared towards the political nature of the source material. I would not be surprised if most of the more extreme reaction came from people with more left leaning ideologies.
Cool. And in my opinion, you're wrong.
Old 02-13-11, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X-Men, Thor, now Atlas Shrugged.....we definitely need a moratorium on comic-book movies.
Old 02-13-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed. People just need to let their daddies go..
Old 02-13-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Feels like a TV miniseries...and it bored me as well.
Old 02-13-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I didn't think it was bad, actually.

It's gonna bomb ridiculously (too talky for most Americans, regardless of ideology) but I'll check it out.
Old 02-13-11, 02:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm not sure that college freshmen who have just discovered Libertarianism for the first time is a wide enough audience to sustain three films, but who knows?
Old 02-13-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm not sure that college freshmen who have just discovered Libertarianism for the first time is a wide enough audience to sustain three films, but who knows?
Hey, if there are two ICP films, one of which is a Western, I figure they'll be fine as long as the budget is small enough. Considering how the footage looks, I'm guessing it's small enough.

I was trying to think of what the amateur level on display reminded me of, and I finally remembered: the trailer for The Legend of Simon Conjurer.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gTSl4YJBwIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But, after watching that trailer, I was surprised by the huge gap in quality of cinematography and production design between that and the trailer for Atlas Shrugged. If Atlas Shrugged can't even manage to look as professional and commercial as The Legend of Simon Conjurer, I doubt any audience - even Rand fans and followers - will care much.

Even if you're a Rand devotee (and I'm fine with that, really), wouldn't you rather have a film that looked like the filmmakers knew what they were doing? This looks like an Asylum knockoff.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 02-13-11 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was wondering if that was Voight or not...yep...it was....Wow..that...that looked bad.
Old 02-14-11, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G9Cz16IxfPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-14-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This has the potential to be awesome.
Old 02-14-11, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Heh heh.

Old 02-14-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I think the trailer looks no worse than the average Hollywood trailer. As for Rand's ideology, it's repulsive.
Old 02-14-11, 08:31 PM

Who knows? Maybe Objectivism is the next big Hollywood franchise!

Me, I prefer the movie about Ayn Rand that featured Helen Mirren as Ayn Rand ... getting railed.

Yes, I am attracted to 44-year-old Helen Mirren! So??
Old 02-14-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by terrible chong
Yes, I am attracted to 44-year-old Helen Mirren! So??
That's nothing special. Most guys here are attracted to 64-year-old Helen Mirren.
Old 02-14-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sheesh. Consider me an Ayn Rand fan who thinks this looks pretty bad. The actors appear to do a pretty valiant job in something that looks like a cross between a Skinemax flick, the Left Behind series, and a straight-to-video thriller.

The thing is poorly conceived and looks cheaply executed. For one thing, the book is really an artifact of its time and if you're going to bring the plot into the present day, maybe the importance of the choo-choo train to the functioning of the country isn't anywhere near what it was in the 30's-40's when the book is set. Might be a good idea to either actually make it a period piece or put Dagny Taggart in charge of something a little more vital to the modern world to make the stakes equivalent. Watching politicians live, die, and threaten to revoke the constitution over a couple of railroad lines is gonna look pretty stupid in 2011.

I'm kind a sad that the project didn't happen when Angelina Jolie was involved. Apparently they had a pretty decent script written for her to play Dagny in a single movie that by all accounts was a pretty artfully done adaptation. Instead, it looks like the holders of Rand's movie rights (is it still Piekoff??) are just leaping in with a cheap production company to make a quick cash grab off the tea-partiers.

How on earth the ultra-evangelical right-wing tea party has latched onto Ayn Rand who was a pro-abortion, pro drug legalization, atheist is beyond me.
Old 02-14-11, 08:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
That's nothing special. Most guys here are attracted to 64-year-old Helen Mirren.
Old 02-14-11, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Chortle!

Actually I need to correct myself: She was 53 when she made The Passion of Ayn Rand.
Old 02-14-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Sheesh. Consider me an Ayn Rand fan who thinks this looks pretty bad. The actors appear to do a pretty valiant job in something that looks like a cross between a Skinemax flick, the Left Behind series, and a straight-to-video thriller.

The thing is poorly conceived and looks cheaply executed. For one thing, the book is really an artifact of its time and if you're going to bring the plot into the present day, maybe the importance of the choo-choo train to the functioning of the country isn't anywhere near what it was in the 30's-40's when the book is set. Might be a good idea to either actually make it a period piece or put Dagny Taggart in charge of something a little more vital to the modern world to make the stakes equivalent. Watching politicians live, die, and threaten to revoke the constitution over a couple of railroad lines is gonna look pretty stupid in 2011.

I'm kind a sad that the project didn't happen when Angelina Jolie was involved. Apparently they had a pretty decent script written for her to play Dagny in a single movie that by all accounts was a pretty artfully done adaptation. Instead, it looks like the holders of Rand's movie rights (is it still Piekoff??) are just leaping in with a cheap production company to make a quick cash grab off the tea-partiers.

How on earth the ultra-evangelical right-wing tea party has latched onto Ayn Rand who was a pro-abortion, pro drug legalization, atheist is beyond me.
She found Jesus on her deathbed. Just like Charles Darwin.

Good point about this not being a period piece, though. It is going to seem really strange when much of the movie hinges on this massive railroad empire, and it's set in the current era. If they could only scrape up fifteen million dollars to make this, though, the budget probably wouldn't allow for anything else.

I think an interesting film could have been made if this were hyper-stylized, a sort of art-deco fantasia set in an imaginary 1950s, with all kinds of funky buildings and trains and machines. But that would probably require a budget of at least twenty times what they had to work with.
Old 02-14-11, 09:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
She found Jesus on her deathbed. Just like Charles Darwin.
The story about Darwin's "deathbed conversion" has been thoroughly debunked, by historians and Darwin's children alike.

Citation needed on the claim about Rand.
Old 02-14-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Apart from the religious aspect, she fits right in with the virulently anti-government, laissez-faire Tea Party crowd. Rand was also - departing from her supposed civil libertarianism - apparently quite the rabid homophobe, which makes her an even lovelier creature. From an economic perspective, she and her ilk are as far to the right as it gets.

But we shouldn't hijack the thread and turn this into a political discussion. Sorry for my part, but that Donahue video got my blood boiling.
Old 02-14-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.