DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Take Me Home Tonight (Dowse, 2011) - 80s comedy with Topher Grace and Anna Faris (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/585421-take-me-home-tonight-dowse-2011-80s-comedy-topher-grace-anna-faris.html)

Daytripper 02-06-11 05:21 PM

Re: Take Me Home Tonight (Dowse, 2011) - 80s comedy with Topher Grace and Anna Faris

The trailer did absolutely nothing for me. Hope the film is better.

Alan Smithee 02-06-11 09:42 PM

Re: Take Me Home Tonight (Dowse, 2011) - 80s comedy with Topher Grace and Anna Faris

It's about time they did more 'period' movies of the recent decades. I've been waiting for 80s and 90s equivalents of Dazed and Confused (which took place in the 70s).

Groucho 02-06-11 09:56 PM

Topher Grace simultaneous ruined That 70's Show (by leaving the cast) and Spider-Man 3 (by joining the cast). Pass.

anomynous 02-06-11 10:12 PM

Topher was the best part of Spiderman 3

Solid Snake 02-06-11 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by anomynous (Post 10625896)

Bruce Campbell, anyone?

MrSmearkase 02-06-11 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by anomynous (Post 10625896)

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10625923)
Bruce Campbell, anyone?

Wrong on both counts

anomynous 02-06-11 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10625923)
Bruce Campbell, anyone?

Ok, other than Bruce Campbell. I totally forgot about him.

and maybe other than the dance down the street

RichC2 02-11-11 05:56 PM

Wow, yeah, you don't hear of many flicks getting shelved for 4 years.

JTH182 02-11-11 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 10624881)
I'm a sucker for this kind of movies plus you got an Eddie Money song, Chris Pratt and Angie Everhart topless.

Chris Pratt topless? AWESOME!

MrSmearkase 02-22-11 12:47 AM

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DDfo6uUY_WE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DDfo6uUY_WE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Pretty fun video, Topher Grace does a good Marty McFly :up:

Ranker has a list of all the references for the yungins.

terrible chong 02-22-11 01:06 AM

In keeping with the faux-80s theme, let me just say

http://images2.memegenerator.net/Ima...e=Danny-Glover

d2cheer 02-22-11 11:58 AM

:lol:

That looks horrible!

Lemdog 02-23-11 01:50 PM

This looks really bad. I might have to go see it.

Nicholas Vargo 02-23-11 10:30 PM

Saw it on Monday. Had a great time, as I thought it was a very funny film. Definitely worth seeing come March 4th.

Draven 02-23-11 11:09 PM

I saw a sneak preview a few weeks back.

It's an okay movie. Not great, not bad. Very middle of the road. Had some laugh-out-loud moments, a couple of cringe-inducing ones, and a pretty flippant treatment of
Spoiler:
cocaine
which I guess is a real 80s thing and not the first movie to do it, just wasn't something I had seen in the theaters in a while.

I had to go to it for work and I will say it was nice to not see any previews, as some of the better moments are spoiled. I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did.

I'd recommend a rent if you like disposable comedies with a few good lines and memorable scenes.

lamphorn 02-23-11 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 10624842)
That 70s Show, now this 80s movie. What's next for Topher... 90s: The Musical??

That's "Rent".

lamphorn 02-23-11 11:22 PM

The sidekick reminds me of a fat version of Booger.

SPiRAL 02-24-11 12:31 AM

Demetri Martin is a client of ours. He said it's actually good.

Patman 03-05-11 10:54 AM

Even though this film takes place in the mid/late 1980s, having it languish on the shelves for 4 years in the 2000s made it feel even more dated, mainly in terms of how the actors in the cast looked. Anna Faris is probably cringing that this movie finally surface after whatever plastic surgery she'd had in the past 4 years easily provides some contrast between then and now. It's almost like a mini-personal time capsule for the cast.

Anyhow, so we have recent MIT grad, Matt (Topher Grace), in a dead-end job at Suncoast Videos (got to say, did enjoy some of the 80s nostalgia having grown up in that decade with high school and college) who panicks when his high school crush Tori (Teresa Palmer, looking like Kristen Stewarts's older sister and with a winning personality) comes into the store, and Matt ends up lying about his employment prospects to Tori and backdoors his way into a party held by Matt's twin sister's boyfriend Kyle. Matt's twin sister Wendy (Anna Faris) has her own little bit of life's uncertainty between Kyle and a possible grad school admission to Cambridge. Kyle (Chris Pratt) is a harmless douche of a boyfriend. Matt's best friend Barry (Dan Fogler) just got fired from his car salesman job, so he's in a "F-it" mood for the party. Barry gets the bright idea to steal a Mercedes from his former employer, and the night just rolls out of control from there.

As a comedy, it's somewhat funny in bits, relying on sight gags, uncomfortable situation, or lack of confidence on Matt's part. There is a lot of cocaine-related material, mostly mined for some comedic value. But the script sort of sputters a lot, so it's not LOL all the way through, and you might end up being sympathetic to Matt and his stilted courting of Tori on this night, it just doesn't give the audience a buzz of funny through most of its running time. I do think the last act is better than the saggy middle act and its setup act in the beginning.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Giles 03-06-11 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 10666949)
Even though this film takes place in the mid/late 1980s, having it languish on the shelves for 4 years in the 2000s made it feel even more dated, mainly in terms of how the actors in the cast looked. Anna Faris is probably cringing that this movie finally surface after whatever plastic surgery she'd had in the past 4 years easily provides some contrast between then and now. It's almost like a mini-personal time capsule for the cast.

Anyhow, so we have recent MIT grad, Matt (Topher Grace), in a dead-end job at Suncoast Videos (got to say, did enjoy some of the 80s nostalgia having grown up in that decade with high school and college) who panicks when his high school crush Tori (Teresa Palmer, looking like Kristen Stewarts's older sister and with a winning personality) comes into the store, and Matt ends up lying about his employment prospects to Tori and backdoors his way into a party held by Matt's twin sister's boyfriend Kyle. Matt's twin sister Wendy (Anna Faris) has her own little bit of life's uncertainty between Kyle and a possible grad school admission to Cambridge. Kyle (Chris Pratt) is a harmless douche of a boyfriend. Matt's best friend Barry (Dan Fogler) just got fired from his car salesman job, so he's in a "F-it" mood for the party. Barry gets the bright idea to steal a Mercedes from his former employer, and the night just rolls out of control from there.

As a comedy, it's somewhat funny in bits, relying on sight gags, uncomfortable situation, or lack of confidence on Matt's part. There is a lot of cocaine-related material, mostly mined for some comedic value. But the script sort of sputters a lot, so it's not LOL all the way through, and you might end up being sympathetic to Matt and his stilted courting of Tori on this night, it just doesn't give the audience a buzz of funny through most of its running time. I do think the last act is better than the saggy middle act and its setup act in the beginning.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Teresa really does look llike a blonde hair version of Kristen - it's scary. As for the movie, I thought the 80's song score was the best thing. It was a good cast, I just thought the script was slight and yes the middle part of the movie does drag. For a movie that's been sitting on the shelf for four year, dumped in March and with eight people at a 5pm afternoon screening on a Sunday - this is going to die a quick silent death.

RocShemp 03-06-11 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10668460)
Teresa really does look llike a blonde hair version of Kristen - it's scary.

It's funny I always thought it was Kristen Stewart in the trailer to The Sorcerer's Apprentice. It was a relief to find out it wasn't. Though that didn't save the film from being only a rental at best.

Jam Master Jay 03-06-11 11:58 PM

Was that Bob Odenkirk as the boss at the car dealership? What a waste not even giving him any lines.

Watched this tonight, would have been one better as a rental but had some Regal gift cards to burn through. It was pretty entertaining, had some genuinely good laughs and a pretty killer 80's soundtrack but we've seen this movie countless times before. 3 stars out of 5.

Goat3001 07-25-11 12:37 PM

I rented this this weekend. I know the reviews were just blah but I'm a sucker for these kind of movies. It was ok. It had some funny moments (Dimitri Martin was hilarious). It had some good heartfelt moments about being a post college kid with nowhere to go. All in all it was a pretty simple "guy wants girl, guy gets girl, guy loses girl, guy gets girl back" movie. It's been done before and it's been done better. But I can't complain about a cheap rental and a decent 90 minutes.

While watching the movie I was thinking about how young Andy from Parks and Rec looked then I remember that this movie is 4 years old. Plus, Teresa Palmer is hot and I totally bought her and Topher Grace as a couple.

Any reason why the song "Take Me Home Tonight" wasn't used in the actual movie and just in commercials and trailers? Seems kind of odd to leave that out.

Obey The D 07-25-11 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 10866575)
Any reason why the song "Take Me Home Tonight" wasn't used in the actual movie and just in commercials and trailers? Seems kind of odd to leave that out.

The movie was originally titled Kids in America. Maybe they had issues securing the song rights since it sat on the shelf for several years before they changed the name and released it.

RichC2 07-25-11 01:26 PM

I enjoyed the movie. It's the kind of harmless movie you watch one rainy afternoon when nothing else is on TV. I actually like that genre :lol: