Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Feature-length, fan-made video documentary/commentary "STAR WARS BEGINS" online

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-04-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/02/04...s-documentary/

Yet another exemplary effort by a fan or fans to create a genuinely worthwhile making-of feature. Admittedly, with the announcement of the Blu-Rays, it occurred to me that I haven't seen very many documentaries on Star Wars outside of the one done for the DVDs, so it may be less fascinating to others, but I'm currently on Part 7, and it's a fascinating documentary/video commentary style piece. Lots of B-roll, soundbytes from cast and crew then and now, alternate takes, storyboards, different edits...one scene's lost dialogue is even re-created using the word bubbles from a Star Wars comic book. Great stuff.

If Lucasfilm was smart, they'd hire this guy and get him to expand his stuff for PiP tracks for the Blu-Ray.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 02-04-11 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-04-11, 06:24 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Feature-length, fan-made video documentary/commentary "STAR WARS BEGINS" online

I'll watch it this weekend. Sounds good. But I'm not going to set my expectations too high. Most of the things trumpeted in that review I have already seen. The rough-cut cantina before reshoots, the deleted scenes with Biggs and Windy, have all been widely seen in the past.
Old 02-05-11, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Feature-length, fan-made video documentary/commentary "STAR WARS BEGINS" online

There are identical documentaries for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi:

Building Empire - Part 1

Returning to Jedi - Part 1

Incredible work, all of them. So thorough that I was surprised-- and a little disappointed-- that the different audio recordings of Aunt Beru at the dinner table, of which there are at least three variations, weren't addressed.

--THX
Old 02-06-11, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait to throw on those other two at work on Monday.
Old 02-06-11, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have seen Building Empire, and parts of Returning to Jedi. Great stuff.