Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Red 2 (2012?) - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-25-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From Ain't it Cool:

A sequel to RED is on. Summit has hired brothers Erich and Jon Hoeber, who wrote the script for the hit action movie, to return to the keyboard to pen a second instalment. Although there are no confirmed deals at this stage with the original film’s stars Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, Summit is pulling the trigger for a second helping of over-the-hill special ops agents shoot-'em-up.

The movie, with a budget in the $60 million range, opened to $21 million in October and proved to have staying power, crossing the $90 million mark. It has made more than four times its opening, a rare feat in box-office performance. The movie also was nominated for Best Picture in the Comedy / Musical category at this year’s Golden Globe Awards.

In addition to writing Red, Erich and Jon Hoeber worked on Battleship, Universal's big-budget adaptation of the Hasbro board game, and then came back to Summit to work on its Sam Worthington thriller Man on a Ledge. Ledge is currently shooting in New York.

I really enjoyed "Red" far more than I expected to. I'm not sure whether or not it needs a sequel, but I'm game to check it out.
Old 01-25-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 768 Likes on 623 Posts
Re: Red 2 (2012?) - News, rumors, etc.

To note on that $60m budget, apparently the company sold all foreign rights to it before the movie opened and were on the line for maybe $21m of that $60m when it did come out.

They made out well. That said, a sequel with the gang together from the get go would be a blast.
Old 01-25-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know what's wrong with this country?

They're all are trying to kill us?

Exactly!

I'm not much of a 'sequel' person generally, but I could go for another round of those guys delivering lines like that.
Old 01-25-11, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd see another.
Old 01-25-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just watched the first one, and would very much welcome another round with that cast.

The first one was the type of fun that The Expendables should have been.
Old 01-25-11, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
I just watched the first one, and would very much welcome another round with that cast.

I thought The Expendables was a lot of fun.

Anyway, I blind-bought the Red Blu-ray today and looking forward to watching it sometime this week.
Old 01-26-11, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post

I agree! I just saw the film a couple weeks ago at a second run theater and had a blast. Also it's kind of amusing that the two action films I enjoyed the most from last year were both PG-13. This film and The A-Team. I was hoping The Expendables would be fun, but it just didn't win me over at all, and I just saw that recently as well after missing it in theaters. The trailers and tv spots for that film were pretty cool however.
Old 01-26-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I would like to see this. I watched the three main guys on a mission movies last year (this, the A-Team and the Expendables) and i actually enjoyed all of them. Bring on sequels to them all, but i doubt we shall see another A-Team.
Old 01-26-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 768 Likes on 623 Posts

This was my favorite of the 3, Expendables took itself way too seriously, A-Team was too over the top, Red was a nice balance between the two.
Old 01-26-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That article is trying REALLY hard to make this seem like a smash hit