DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Red 2 (2012?) - News, rumors, etc. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/584972-red-2-2012-news-rumors-etc.html)

islandclaws 01-25-11 02:37 PM

Red 2 (2012?) - News, rumors, etc.

From Ain't it Cool:

A sequel to RED is on. Summit has hired brothers Erich and Jon Hoeber, who wrote the script for the hit action movie, to return to the keyboard to pen a second instalment. Although there are no confirmed deals at this stage with the original film’s stars Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, Summit is pulling the trigger for a second helping of over-the-hill special ops agents shoot-'em-up.

The movie, with a budget in the $60 million range, opened to $21 million in October and proved to have staying power, crossing the $90 million mark. It has made more than four times its opening, a rare feat in box-office performance. The movie also was nominated for Best Picture in the Comedy / Musical category at this year’s Golden Globe Awards.

In addition to writing Red, Erich and Jon Hoeber worked on Battleship, Universal's big-budget adaptation of the Hasbro board game, and then came back to Summit to work on its Sam Worthington thriller Man on a Ledge. Ledge is currently shooting in New York.

I really enjoyed "Red" far more than I expected to. I'm not sure whether or not it needs a sequel, but I'm game to check it out.

RichC2 01-25-11 02:51 PM

Re: Red 2 (2012?) - News, rumors, etc.

To note on that $60m budget, apparently the company sold all foreign rights to it before the movie opened and were on the line for maybe $21m of that $60m when it did come out.

They made out well. That said, a sequel with the gang together from the get go would be a blast.

Dr Mabuse 01-25-11 02:54 PM

Do you know what's wrong with this country?

They're all are trying to kill us?

Exactly!

:lol:

I'm not much of a 'sequel' person generally, but I could go for another round of those guys delivering lines like that.

EdTheRipper 01-25-11 05:33 PM

I'd see another.

MrSmearkase 01-25-11 07:29 PM

I just watched the first one, and would very much welcome another round with that cast.

The first one was the type of fun that The Expendables should have been.

TheMovieman 01-25-11 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10608137)
I just watched the first one, and would very much welcome another round with that cast.

I thought The Expendables was a lot of fun. :shrug:

Anyway, I blind-bought the Red Blu-ray today and looking forward to watching it sometime this week.

Julie Walker 01-25-11 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10608137)

I agree! I just saw the film a couple weeks ago at a second run theater and had a blast. Also it's kind of amusing that the two action films I enjoyed the most from last year were both PG-13. This film and The A-Team. I was hoping The Expendables would be fun, but it just didn't win me over at all, and I just saw that recently as well after missing it in theaters. The trailers and tv spots for that film were pretty cool however.

james2025a 01-26-11 08:47 AM

I would like to see this. I watched the three main guys on a mission movies last year (this, the A-Team and the Expendables) and i actually enjoyed all of them. Bring on sequels to them all, but i doubt we shall see another A-Team.

RichC2 01-26-11 09:02 AM

This was my favorite of the 3, Expendables took itself way too seriously, A-Team was too over the top, Red was a nice balance between the two.

anomynous 01-26-11 10:00 AM

That article is trying REALLY hard to make this seem like a smash hit