Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner Brothers/Joel Silver to produce Lethal Weapon Reboot

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Warner Brothers/Joel Silver to produce Lethal Weapon Reboot

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Warner Brothers/Joel Silver to produce Lethal Weapon Reboot

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Three was fun, but the title should have been: Joe Pesci's Lethal Weapon.
And 4 was Jet Li's Lethal Weapon. Which is the reason a lot of us went to see it in a theater. It was his first American movie.

I saw it on opening night in a packed house (a huge Broadway single screen) and when Li first appeared on screen about 20 minutes in, I shouted "Jet! Jet Li!" and I started applauding loudly and enough other people clapped that a buzz went through the entire theater: "Who's that?" "Who's that?" I blurted out, "He's the greatest action star in the world," and someone yelled "Shut up!"

Later on, when Li disarmed both Gibson and Glover with a very swift move in their first confrontation, the young brother next to me happily declared, "That shit was nice. That shit was nice! No wonder he's a movie star." And I felt good. We'd gained a convert.

As the movie wore on, though, I had to stop cheering for Li when he started killing characters the audience liked. People were getting angry at me. I was afraid of getting lynched. Audience psychology can be pretty scary. So I sat through the rest of the movie with one hand over my mouth and the other placed firmly under my arm, so I wouldn't get the urge to cheer or clap anymore. Definitely one of the most adrenaline-rushing movie experiences I've ever had.

A week later, I ran into another kung fu buff/Jet Li fan and I asked him his experience and he said he had gone to the later show that night at the same theater and there were lots of Li fans in the audience and they made their presence known. I wish I'd been at that one.
Old 05-11-14, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ash Ketchum... You're a goddamn weird motherfucker. But you're ok in this pack of mentally challenged children on ecstasy.
Old 05-11-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The funny thing about Lethal Weapon 1 was it being Murtaugh's 50th B-Day on the movie (circa 1986-1987) Thus, Murtaugh would be 74 or 75 now and long retired from the LAPD.
Yes, but Danny Glover is 10 years younger than the character he played (he's only 67), so they could either set a sequel a few years in the past, or say the first film happened later than we thought it did.

If so, it's possible Riggs is still on the force, as Mel is only 58. It would be nice to see him in the Murtaugh part and mellowed out, and a new young recruit (that reminds Riggs of himself) as his new partner.
Old 05-11-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Later on, when Li disarmed both Gibson and Glover with a very swift move in their first confrontation, the young brother next to me happily declared, "That shit was nice. That shit was nice! No wonder he's a movie star." And I felt good. We'd gained a convert.
Because that was real.
Old 05-12-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Ash Ketchum... You're a goddamn weird motherfucker. But you're ok in this pack of mentally challenged children on ecstasy.
Coming from Solid Snake, that is no small endorsement. I am honored.
Old 05-12-14, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate hollywood.
Old 05-12-14, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I remember about 4, besides a vague recollection that it had Jet Li, is the fucking "flied lice" joke. I can only assume that was a compromise to keep Gibson happy after the producers refused to include any homophobic or anti-Semitic humor.