DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Question about a drug/crime movie from a few years ago (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/584673-question-about-drug-crime-movie-few-years-ago.html)

ValeTudoChokeOu 01-18-11 12:31 AM

Question about a drug/crime movie from a few years ago

So back in the summer of 2006, a local Tower Records was having a huge sale...like 40-60% off a lot of DVDs and CDs. This was a few months before a whole bunch of their stores shut down. Anyway, an employee there recommended me a movie which I purchased, but never got around to watching. I always meant to watch it, but never had the chance and now that I moved I am trying to find it to re-buy on (hopefully) Blu as I have no idea where it went.

From what I remember, it was made around 2004-2006 or so (available on DVD by summer 2006), and got pretty good reviews. Plot involved something about an apartment with drugs, and an undercover cop?? Box art was sort of brown/yellow with a guy holding a gun and looking down/away.

I know it's a total longshot and the description is pretty vague, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't remember any actors or a title, so searching Amazon, IMDB, etc hasn't been too successful thus far.

Perkinsun Dzees 01-18-11 12:34 AM

Re: Question about a drug/crime movie from a few years ago

Was it dis?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

ValeTudoChokeOu 01-18-11 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 10595231)

THANK YOU x 1,000!!

TheMovieman 01-18-11 12:42 AM

Nicely done :)

Larry C. 01-18-11 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 10595231)

Daaaam sun!

mrhan 01-19-11 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by ValeTudoChokeOu (Post 10595227)
So back in the summer of 2006, a local Tower Records was having a huge sale...like 40-60% off a lot of DVDs and CDs. This was a few months before a whole bunch of their stores shut down. Anyway, an employee there recommended me a movie which I purchased, but never got around to watching. I always meant to watch it, but never had the chance and now that I moved I am trying to find it to re-buy on (hopefully) Blu as I have no idea where it went.

Running Scared is a good movie. If you can't find your copy just get the BD. It's around $15 just about anywhere and I know I saw the DVD in the Walmart $5 bin.

RichC2 01-19-11 09:21 AM

I wouldn't consider it a good movie (it was just too corny) but for better or worse it was definitely a memorable one.

mrhan 01-19-11 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10597098)
I wouldn't consider it a good movie (it was just too corny) but for better or worse it was definitely a memorable one.

Well, I guess your in the minority because the average viewer ratings on both rottentomato and IMDB are pretty high. It's definitely a popcorn movie and it had enough gratuitous violence to satisfy me.

RichC2 01-19-11 10:02 AM

Guess so, the cheesy parts in the movie made me cringe more than I tend to enjoy, the rest was alright though. And Vera Farmiga looked fantastic at the beginning.

mrhan 01-19-11 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10597152)
And Vera Farmiga looked fantastic at the beginning.

:D Definitely agree with that!

Luther Heggs 01-19-11 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 10597061)
Running Scared is a good movie. If you can't find your copy just get the BD. It's around $15 just about anywhere and I know I saw the DVD in the Walmart $5 bin.

Be warned that the Canadian Blu-ray is re-formatted to 1.77:1 so you'd have to import one of the foreign OAR editions - there is no US Blu-ray release.
I love this movie. To quote Patton Oswalt, it's one of those "movies where, while you're watching it, usually with a group of friends, you think (or say aloud), 'Is this HAPPENING?'...When did this Paul Walker action movie become a Pasolini kid-rape parable?"

gmanca 01-19-11 05:00 PM

Ha, that's exactly what you think when you're watching it; every ten minutes some new absurd thing happens that Walker or the kid have to overcome.

digidoh 01-20-11 11:20 AM

Be sure you don't get the 1986 Running Scared, a comedy with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines as police detectives.