DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Weekend Box Office (1/14-1/16): Hornet rakes in some Green (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/584578-weekend-box-office-1-14-1-16-hornet-rakes-some-green.html)

islandclaws 01-15-11 10:24 AM

Weekend Box Office (1/14-1/16): Hornet rakes in some Green

From Deadline:

1. The Green Hornet 3D (Sony Pictures) NEW [3,584 Theaters]
Friday $11M
Estimated 3-Day Weekend $33M, Estimated 4-Day Holiday $38.5M

Spoiler:
It seemed a miracle that this much bad-buzzed big movie that's a modern adaptation of the old radio series about the legendary action duo -- Britt Reid (with the unorthodox casting of Seth Rogen) and his resourceful Kato (with Taiwanese pop singer Jay Chou) not to mention their coolly equipped The Black Beauty -- was tracking very well for weeks now. But then rival studios emailed me that The Green Hornet was surprisingly underperforming. Sony execs disagreed. They said things could have been worse at the box office Friday but the West Coast was "pushing it way up" with late shows. "Everybody agrees we will be up Saturday and should benefit all weekend long from a young audience," a Sony exec reassures. Whether The Green Hornet can get over $40M depends on this weekend's bump so let's not judge this movie's numbers prematurely. Friday's post midnight screenings were light -- $550K on 700 plays -- but that's because Sony didn't push them. Meanwhile, The Green Hornet earned a "B+" CinemaScore overall but an "A-" among audience members under age 25.

Given the higher 3D ticket prices and the superhero genre, these grosses are still on the lower side of Hollywood's expectations. ("Once again, tracking overestimated this genre," a rival studio exec messages me in a veiled reference to the lackluster performance of Kick-Ass. But that pic was R-rated and The Green Hornet is PG-13.) Then again, we have to take into account the $120M-$150M production cost: blame reshoots and the release delay from December 22nd to January 14th so Sony could give the flick a 3D makeover. Throughout the week, rival studios were telling me they thought Sony missed a Xmas opportunity to clean up at the box office. But we don't all have 20/20 hindsight.

As for the marketing plan, "we really worked hard to create a summer film launch in January," a Sony exec told me. Personally, I hated those cheezy Carls Jr promos but they helped create awareness. Pic had a strong presence with ads during key NFL and College Bowl games, plus the NBA. And a high impact outdoor campaign with a glow-in-the-dark logo effect plus "real” headlights on the image of The Black Beauty which toured in 20 markets and starred on Myth Busters and in U.S. auto shows. Rogen (who lost a lot of weight to play the role) and Chou each did an enormous amount of PR/appearances to support the film.

2. The Dilemma (Universal Pictures) NEW [2,941 Theaters] B
Friday $6.1M
Estimated 3-day Weekend $17.6M, Estimated 4-day Holiday $20.9M

Spoiler:
This is a shockingly soft opening for a Ron Howard-directed movie starring proven box office strongmen Vince Vaughn and Kevin James whose last four comedies were mega-openers (Four Christmases - $31M, Couples Retreat - $34M, Paul Blart: Mall Cop - $31M, and Grown-Ups - $40M). "Somehow putting them together gets you half that," one rival studio exec snarked to me Friday night. I readily admit to being relieved to see Vince cool off at the box office because he's such a pain-in-the-ass to almost everybody in the filmmaking process. On the other hand, The Dilemma was Universal Pictures chief Adam Fogelson's first release of his new greenlit movie slate. But, seriously, what Big Studio mogul would not have okayed that talent combination in a PG-13 comedy? (Although I think Ron Howard should have deleted that gratuitous gay slur scene which was cut out of the trailer after protests that it was offensive.) The pic's CinemaScore was a "B". Given that this film's production budget was $70 million, Dilemma has a long way to go but Universal believes it's "performing at or slightly above tracking" which was forecasting only high teens because of poor tracking in recent weeks. That's soft for the pic's respective cost and a disaster for the reputations of Howard, Vaughn, and James. The disconnect, insiders tell me, was the storyline. "The subject of infidelity is a really challenging one," one exec explained to me even though the studio's own pre-release publicity points out that Vince has consistently proven to be a popular draw in comedies that take a look at the issues of relationships. "At a tie when people are looking for wish fulfillment, this may be too painful." Other insiders are complaining to me that "this pic was meant to be a comedy with some drama, and it turned out to be a drama with some comedy". Universal is also distributing the film internationally and it opens day and date in Australia, New Zealand, and Romania. In April, Universal begins rolling it out to the rest of the world.

3. True Grit (Paramount) Week 4 [3,459 Theaters]
Friday $3.2M
Estimated 3-Day Weekend $11M, Estimated 4-Day Holiday $13M, Estimated Cume $128.5M

4. The King's Speech (The Weinstein Co) Week 8 [1,543 Theaters]
Friday $2.5M
Estimated 3-Day Weekend $9M, Estimated 4-Day Holiday $11M, Estimated Cume $46.5M

5. Black Swan (Fox Searchlight) Week 7 [2,328 Theaters]
Friday $2.2M
Estimated 3-Day Weekend $6.5M, Estimated 4-day Holiday $9M, Estimated Cume $73.8M

6. Little Fockers (Universal) Week 4 [3,394 Theaters]
Friday $2.1M
Estimated 3-Day Weekend, Estimated 4-Day Holiday $8.5M, Estimated Cume $135.5M

7. The Fighter (Relativity/Paramount) Week 4 [2,414 Theaters]
Friday $1.5M
Estimated 3-Day Weekend, Estimated 4-Day Holiday $6M, Estimated Cume $67M

8. Season Of The Witch (Relativity) Week 2 [2,827 Theaters]
Friday $1.4M (-64%)
Estimated 3-Day Weekend, Estimated 4-Day Holiday $5.5M, Estimated Cume $19M

9. Tron: Legacy 3D (Disney) Week 5 [2,439 Theaters]
Friday $1.2M
Estimated 3-Day Weekend, Estimated 4-Day Holiday $5.5M, Estimated Cume $156.7M

10. Yogi Bear 3D (Warner Bros) Week 5 [2,702 Theaters]
Friday $1.1M
Estimated 3-Day Weekend, Estimated 4-Day Holiday $7M, Estimated Cume $83.7M

RichC2 01-15-11 01:16 PM

Re: Weekend Box Office (1/14-1/16): Hornet rakes in some Green

Cool seeing True Grit and Black Swan doing so well.

The Antipodean 01-15-11 01:47 PM

Wow, it looks like True Grit may actually pass Little Fockers in the long run. There's hope for the world yet! ;)

Dragon Tattoo 01-15-11 06:32 PM

Oh Nikki Finke, why won't you die?

Supermallet 01-15-11 06:53 PM

What did Nikki Finke do to you?

islandclaws 01-15-11 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 10591695)

Jeff Zucker, is that you?

Matthew Chmiel 01-16-11 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10591795)
Ben Silverman, is that you?

Fixed.

Oh, Saturday numbers now posted.

Originally Posted by Deadline Hollywood
1. The Green Hornet 3D (Sony Pictures) NEW [3,584 Theaters]
Friday $11.1M, Saturday $12.8M
Estimated 3-Day Weekend $34M, Estimated 4-Day Holiday $40M

2. The Dilemma (Universal Pictures) NEW [2,941 Theaters] B
Friday $6.1M, Saturday $6.8M,
Estimated 3-day Weekend $18M, Estimated 4-day Holiday $20.5M

3. True Grit (Paramount) Week 4 [3,459 Theaters]
Friday $3.2M, Saturday $4.7M
Estimated 3-Day Weekend $11M, Estimated 4-Day Holiday $13.1M, Estimated Cume $128.5M

4. The King's Speech (The Weinstein Co) Week 8 [1,543 Theaters]
Friday $2.4M, Saturday $4M
Estimated 3-Day Weekend $9M, Estimated 4-Day Holiday $11.2M, Estimated Cume $45.6M

5. Black Swan (Fox Searchlight) Week 7 [2,328 Theaters]
Friday $2.4M, Saturday $3.3M
Estimated 3-Day Weekend $6.7M, Estimated 4-day Holiday $9.8M, Estimated Cume $74M

Wazootyman 01-16-11 03:17 AM

Is it just me, or are those Dilemma numbers not that bad? Sure, it's not going to recoup its 70 mil budget stateside, but in the long run it seems like it should eke out a small profit. I mean, it's not like it's a How Do You Know which cost $120 and won't pass $35.

And I say this as someone who has absolutely no interest in the film

Falc04 01-16-11 05:54 AM

So Tangled finally dropped out of the top 10, eh? Went to see it again last night with my two girls, and told them on the way in that it would probably be an empty theater. Imagine my surprise to see at least two dozen people in there. Glad to see such a great film still drawing patrons in.

Matthew Chmiel 01-16-11 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wazootyman (Post 10592322)
Is it just me, or are those Dilemma numbers not that bad? Sure, it's not going to recoup its 70 mil budget stateside, but in the long run it seems like it should eke out a small profit. I mean, it's not like it's a How Do You Know which cost $120 and won't pass $35.

And I say this as someone who has absolutely no interest in the film

Vince Vaughn's last opening weekends:
Couples Retreat: $34,286,740 (October release)
Four Christmases: $31,069,826 (November release)

Kevin James' last opening weekends:
Grown Ups: $40,506,562 (June release)
Paul Blart: $31,832,636 (January release; specifically MLK weekend like this weekend)
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry: $34,233,750 (July release)

I'd rather be diagnosed with cancer than sit through any Vince Vaughn or Kevin James film. How either of them make money is completely beyond me.

And yes, I sat through both Couples Retreat (at a test screening) and Paul Blart. Time I'm never going to be granted back.

Mr. Cinema 01-16-11 03:05 PM

So you also hated Swingers, Made, Old School, Dodgeball, and Wedding Crashers?

Matthew Chmiel 01-17-11 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 10592931)
So you also hated Swingers, Made, Old School, Dodgeball, and Wedding Crashers?

Swingers and Dodgeball are the only two redeeming movies you've just listed.

Hokeyboy 01-17-11 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 10591695)

Grow up.

sauce07 01-17-11 09:14 AM

I can't believe that Darren Aronofsky's Ballet movie has a shot at $100 million, you can't tell me anybody saw that coming.

MrSmearkase 01-17-11 09:17 AM

I'm surprised The King's Speech is already in the mid-40s. I hadn't realized that it had gone into wide release already.

Geofferson 01-17-11 10:31 AM

Is True Grit the top grossing Western of all time now? It's surpassed both Wild Wild West (113M) and Unforgiven (101M). Maybe there are some older Westerns that grossed more...

onebyone 01-17-11 10:33 AM

It has Dances with Wolves yet to knock off.

Of course, that list only has movies from 1979-forward so it leaves out a lot of older movies, but Dances is tops in gross regardless.

Dragon Tattoo 01-17-11 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10594029)
Grow up.

Nikki Finke?

DonnachaOne 01-17-11 04:15 PM

No. Hokeyboy is actually funny sometimes.

Dragon Tattoo 01-17-11 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne (Post 10594606)
No. Hokeyboy is actually funny sometimes.

Well-played.:lol:

Ash Ketchum 01-17-11 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson (Post 10594141)
Is True Grit the top grossing Western of all time now? It's surpassed both Wild Wild West (113M) and Unforgiven (101M). Maybe there are some older Westerns that grossed more...

Back in 1969, everybody went to see TRUE GRIT, BUTCH CASSIDY and THE WILD BUNCH. And they played in theaters forever. I saw BUTCH CASSIDY several times in theaters and THE WILD BUNCH over a dozen times in theaters from 1969-72. And it was rare to pay more than $1.50 to see them. (As opposed to the $13 I paid to see the new TRUE GRIT.) More people saw those movies in theaters than will ever see the new TRUE GRIT, regardless of what the boxoffice figures say. I don't know how to determine a tally of how many tickets were sold for each movie, nor if it's even possible, since BUTCH CASSIDY and WILD BUNCH were routinely double billed with newer releases from Fox and Warners, respectively, but that's the figure I'd want to know.

Also, more people attended movies in 1946 than at any time since. So it's quite possible that John Ford's MY DARLING CLEMENTINE and Howard Hawks' RED RIVER were seen by even more people than saw the westerns I cited. And you can imagine how low the ticket prices were back then.

Adam Tyner 01-17-11 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson (Post 10594141)

Like onebyone mentioned, Dances with Wolves grossed $184 mil, but True Grit is 2nd behind that.

Adjusted for inflation, Box Office Mojo sez Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is the highest grossing western, with Blazing Saddles not lagging far behind. (Both grossed a half-billion each in adjusted dollars!) On the other hand, they don't list adjusted grosses (or any grosses at all) for Red River, Stagecoach, the original True Grit, etc.