Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mondo/Alamo Drafthouse Screen Printed Movie Posters

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mondo/Alamo Drafthouse Screen Printed Movie Posters

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: Mondo/Alamo Drafthouse Screen Printed Movie Posters

I just bought my first two Mondo posters and was curious how you guys frame these?

Do most of you: custom frame, glass store bought frame, or cheap acrylic poster frame?

Custom framing is crazy expensive but you do get the UV glass and lots of custom options with the look of the frame and it always looks super nice.

Glass store bought frame is kind of mid-level. You don't have the amount of options but you at least get the glass (though it is cheap non-UV protection glass) and it tends to look a little nicer.

The standard acrylic cover, plastic frame is the cheapest way to go though most are just limited to a simple black or white frame border and you get to choose the thickness of it.
Old 02-10-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I just bought my first two Mondo posters and was curious how you guys frame these?

Do most of you: custom frame, glass store bought frame, or cheap acrylic poster frame?

Custom framing is crazy expensive but you do get the UV glass and lots of custom options with the look of the frame and it always looks super nice.

Glass store bought frame is kind of mid-level. You don't have the amount of options but you at least get the glass (though it is cheap non-UV protection glass) and it tends to look a little nicer.

The standard acrylic cover, plastic frame is the cheapest way to go though most are just limited to a simple black or white frame border and you get to choose the thickness of it.
I have a ton of screen print posters (both pop culture and concert) up around my house. I make it simple by just doing a black frame with a black mat. I do all the work myself because it gets real expensive, real fast.
Old 02-10-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

I wait for the Aaron Bros 1¢ frame sales and use those. I prefer the Steinbeck frames. They can be somewhat heavy tho. 2 27" X 40" come out to $80 during the sale.
Old 06-01-15, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing this thread back a bit. Picked up this High Noon print by Tom Whalen from Mondo last week.

Last edited by TheNightFlier; 06-02-15 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-02-15, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Very nice!

I have amassed a decent print collection over the course of the last 6 months. It's become a mini-addiction and has been really hurting my pocketbook. But I have almost maxed out my hanging space and have gotten the once I want. I still have a couple I am trying to acquire but they have been too expensive or hard to find on ebay.
Old 06-02-15, 08:43 AM
Banned

What ones are you looking for?
Old 06-02-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
^Very nice!

I have amassed a decent print collection over the course of the last 6 months. It's become a mini-addiction and has been really hurting my pocketbook. But I have almost maxed out my hanging space and have gotten the once I want. I still have a couple I am trying to acquire but they have been too expensive or hard to find on ebay.
The prices of some of these are out of control. I was looking at a few on eBay the other day that I missed. I am not paying $200+ for a print, even if they are phenomenal looking. I bought a Nakatomi mystery tube a few weeks back and got one of Iaccarino's Avengers prints. This got me into looking at the new Mondo releases and the buying just snowballed from there

Old 06-02-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
What ones are you looking for?
Poltergeist by Taylor
Land Of The Lost by Whalen - Regular or Variant version
Spider-man Vs. Doc Ock by Sutfin - Regular version

and possibly Halloween Regular and Variant versions by Phantom City Creative

Last edited by Spiderbite; 06-02-15 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-02-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I've tried getting a couple Mondo posters recently but they sell out too damn fast. Its sort of bullshit if you ask me and their whole thing about not telling people when the prints go on sale and to watch their Twitter makes it sort of hard. I tried getting one for Back to the Future Part II and Mulholland Drive and in both instances I had them in my cart and they showed in stock as I added them, but both were sold out before I got to the check out.
Old 06-02-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
The prices of some of these are out of control. I was looking at a few on eBay the other day that I missed. I am not paying $200+ for a print, even if they are phenomenal looking. I bought a Nakatomi mystery tube a few weeks back and got one of Iaccarino's Avengers prints. This got me into looking at the new Mondo releases and the buying just snowballed from there

Yeah... you weren't suppose to get that Iaccarino print.

I was part of a group that commissioned Iaccarino for that Avengers print. The Printers ended up screwing the group over and took the crappy test prints/rejects, trimmed them down and put them in those mystery tubes.

Our final version will end up looking better than the one being stuffed in those tubes.
Old 06-02-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heres my Iaccarino GOTG print

Old 06-02-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Yeah... you weren't suppose to get that Iaccarino print.

I was part of a group that commissioned Iaccarino for that Avengers print. The Printers ended up screwing the group over and took the crappy test prints/rejects, trimmed them down and put them in those mystery tubes.

Our final version will end up looking better than the one being stuffed in those tubes.
I saw the thread on Statue Forum about that when I searched for who made the poster since there were no author's marks or tags on it. After reading the thread I won't be dealing Nakatomi or Doyle again. That is some shady business.
Old 06-02-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I basically stopped trying for Mondo releases. Now I basically get in on poster commissions where we find an artist and they do a limited run just for us, or go for smaller gallery releases. All of the commission groups I'm in are on Facebook. If anyone wants in on them let me know and I can add you to these categories:

Print Buddies (we talk about all things posters and whats for sale anywhere)
General Commission Group (find artists and do our own prints)
Studio Ghibli Commissions (same deal, but all things Ghibli)
Old 06-03-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I basically stopped trying for Mondo releases. Now I basically get in on poster commissions where we find an artist and they do a limited run just for us, or go for smaller gallery releases. All of the commission groups I'm in are on Facebook. If anyone wants in on them let me know and I can add you to these categories:

Don't have a fb, but those Ghibli commissions sound interesting.
Old 06-03-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd be interested in the General group. I'm still searching for someone to do a Xanadu print
Old 06-03-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would definitely be interested in the General Commission Group.

How do you guys go about your framing for prints? Do it yourself or paying for a custom job? The Mondo prints I've gotten lately I want to keep in good shape. I am thinking about going to the frame shop in town. I know it can get pricey very quickly though.
Old 06-03-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by achau9598
I'd be interested in the General group. I'm still searching for someone to do a Xanadu print
Old 06-03-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
I saw the thread on Statue Forum about that when I searched for who made the poster since there were no author's marks or tags on it. After reading the thread I won't be dealing Nakatomi or Doyle again. That is some shady business.
Actually, the story isn't quite what is being reported on that forum. I've read the email exchange (and can post it even if anyone cares to read it) between the commissioners & the printer. The whole thing was explained on Facebook and on Expressobeans and the original statue-group who commissioned it did not come out looking too good.

And the artist in question still has printing projects planned at Nakatomi.
Old 06-03-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, the story isn't quite what is being reported on that forum. I've read the email exchange (and can post it even if anyone cares to read it) between the commissioners & the printer. The whole thing was explained on Facebook and on Expressobeans and the original statue-group who commissioned it did not come out looking too good.

And the artist in question still has printing projects planned at Nakatomi.
I would love to read it. I'm sure that was only one side of the story. The whole picture would be nice to see. Judging by CandyRocket's reaction to me having one of the prints, it was a messy situation.
Old 06-03-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just send me a PM with your Facebook info and I'll "friend" you and hook you guys up.

And I frame stuff myself through online companies. I belong to a framing group too with links, sales, and tutorials I'll add you guys to that as well.

Old 06-03-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I have the Inglourious Basterds poster from Mondo that wouldn't mind selling. $500 how much I'd sell it for, though. It's the regular one, not the variant.
Old 06-03-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

I have a stout Empire Strikes back I haven't framed yet. Not sure if I want to hold onto it or sell it, looks like I could get a g out of it...
Old 06-03-15, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why so Blu - that's a very incredibly low price for Basterds if it is the Stout.

I have a Stout Avengers signed I have been trying to sell on eBay for a few months. Maybe the market has dropped.
Old 06-04-15, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Why so Blu - that's a very incredibly low price for Basterds if it is the Stout.

I have a Stout Avengers signed I have been trying to sell on eBay for a few months. Maybe the market has dropped.
It is the stout. Honestly, the last time I checked the price on it that's what the average. Since you say it's low - I'll have to see how much it's gone up in value.
Old 07-08-15, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

My first Mondo purchase. Much, much nicer than their last two JAWS prints.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.