Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Armond White Emcees NY Critics Awards, Insults Winners

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-11-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 758 Likes on 558 Posts

I know some DVD Talkers have a special interest in film critic Armond White and his "If everyone else loves it, then I must hate" ethos.

White hosted the NY Film Critics Awards (held last night?) and after taking a shot from Black Swan director Darren Aronofsky --White not only panned the acclaimed film, but basically dismissed it-- White hit back, and then decided to throw out a few more insults to winners and presenters along the way.

Here are links to to stories about the evening wherein you can find more details:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/1...-nyfcc-awards/

http://www.popeater.com/2011/01/11/a...ritics-awards/

I'm certain attendees will be posting more stories. Just type "Armond White" in to Google News and they'll pop up.

My personal opinion is that even if Aronofsky started things off by taking a swipe at White, it was up to White as the host to be the bigger man and hold his tongue. I'm sure it made the evening more interesting, but it was supposed to be a celebration, not an opportunity for one critic to derail the atmosphere with his personal agenda.

On the other hand, awards shows would be SO MUCH more interesting if it was set up like "The Benson Interruption" and every time a winner took the stage there was someone to heckle them, and instead of boring thank-you's they had to defend their work.
Old 01-11-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Armond White Emcees NY Critics Awards, Insults Winners

It's funny. The only thing I ever hear or read about that guy is here. And The New York Press? Is that the paper that is laying in piles in every subway station in the city? I thought that was for the homeless to make fires and blankets.
Old 01-11-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i'd be willing to bet White would've said those comments regardless of what Aronofsky said.
Old 01-11-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, White didn't only go after Black Swan and Aronofsky.
Old 01-11-11, 08:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the problem with being known for being shocking or contrarian. At first people are outraged, then, as they stop caring, the only way to get them to pay attention again is to act even more outrageously. Just wait, in a year Armond White will be delivering criticisms naked in New York subway stations.
Old 01-11-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Armond White is a troll; the more press he gets, the more he'll continue his shenanigans. If the rest of the press and Hollywood in general would ignore/shun him, he'll go away or tone down his clown show routine.
Old 01-11-11, 08:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eh, I think White's comment to Aronofsky was a lot classier than Aronofsky's comment to White. His other digs were pretty shitty, though.
Old 01-11-11, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so both those articles essentially give me the view that DA started it somewhat...but...was White being a dick before all that?

this probably pissed White off a bit more:

When 'Blue Valentine' actress Michelle Williams was presented with a prize, White introduced her by praising her performance in the 2004 film 'Land of Plenty,' leading the Oscar-nominated actress (for 'Brokeback Mountain') to say, "I made that movie almost 10 years ago. I can't imagine what you've said about me since then if you had to go back that far to say something nice."
Old 01-11-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If ever someone deserved to be beaten by a mob, this guy is it. I'm kinda surprised no one has him in effigy going from door to door asking for participants to bring a rake or hay fork.

He is just a sad, kinda stupid guy who feels he MUST have attention, no matter how dumb he looks.

Not liking a film that is heralded as a masterpiece is just fine. I just don't believe him. I think, and proven by his bewildering good review bad review of 'The Hurt Locker', he is a contrarian who just wants to stand out. His way, of course, is to hate what people love, and or love what people hate.

Sad Sad Sad.
Old 01-11-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Aronofsky didn't start it. White started it, by pissing on Black Swan to advertise for Kanye West's music video.
Old 01-11-11, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How White has managed to remain in print is completely beyond me. He's the Ward Churchill of film criticism.

As an aside, I liked Aronofsky better when he had his beard.
Old 01-11-11, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
Aronofsky didn't start it. White started it, by pissing on Black Swan to advertise for Kanye West's music video.
ok....I know nothing about this....what?
Old 01-11-11, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As much as I hate Armond White, and I do, the last thing you can call him is dumb. He is very intelligent and articulate. He just happens to be crazy and wrong, too.
Old 01-11-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
As much as I hate Armond White, and I do, the last thing you can call him is dumb. He is very intelligent and articulate. He just happens to be crazy and wrong, too.
If he's crazy and wrong, then what does that say about his intelligence? You don't have to be particularly intelligent to be articulate.
Old 01-11-11, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

he's also an asshole apparently.
Old 01-11-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
This is the problem with being known for being shocking or contrarian. At first people are outraged, then, as they stop caring, the only way to get them to pay attention again is to act even more outrageously. Just wait, in a year Armond White will be delivering criticisms naked in New York subway stations.
So he's the Ann Coulter of film critics.
Old 01-11-11, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wow

White also made sure to thank his peers for not awarding any honors to director Noah Baumbach's well-reviewed indie hit 'Greenberg.' Baumbach's continued success has long been a thorn in the critic's side; in his review of Baumbach's 1997 film 'Mr. Jealousy,' White said the director's mother should have had a "retroactive abortion." How tasteful and professional of him.
Old 01-11-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 758 Likes on 558 Posts

Here's another good write-up of the night from the Onion AV Club:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/armon...trarian,49901/

Exactly why is this guy the head of such an important critics association?
Old 01-11-11, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Exactly why is this guy the head of such an important critics association?

Originally Posted by Film Critic Glenn Kenny
It's simple: the job comes with a shitload of clerical and administrative duties that no self-respecting "creative" folk wanna do. Or are any good at, when you get right down to it. That's why for a long time whenever they'd bring in a newb...ie, they'd force him or her to take the position, more or less, so as to earn their membership. I believe that's how the late and much-missed Andrew Johnston got the gig so early after being inducted.

Of course eventually newbies got wise to the game. Armond, on the other hand, being a complete fucking psycho but retaining a touch of Machiavellian strategizing sense, figured that if he was willing to do the gruntwork, he could sit atop a position of power and prestige for one thing. He could also throw his weight around and take a form of revenge on his fellows, whom he absolutely loathes despite his fake "collegiality." For instance, his insistence one year on scheduling the dinner to conflict with the Sundance Film Festival. That SHOULD have ended his tenure right there. But the critics apparently need more than one lesson, and this year, even though he was a lame duck, he provided it. They really ought to just eject him from the organization.
Old 01-12-11, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's a really lousy writer, so I wouldn't even call him particularly "articulate."
Old 01-12-11, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
Armond White is a troll; the more press he gets, the more he'll continue his shenanigans. If the rest of the press, DVDTalk, and Hollywood in general would ignore/shun him, he'll go away or tone down his clown show routine.
fixed
Old 01-12-11, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From what I've read/seen of White, he's one of those people that thrives off negative attention. So he'll dismiss movies that would be acclaimed by most critics; he'll make antagonistic comments about other critics/reviews and their methodology; etc. He'll occasionally write something thoughtful, but is immediately followed up by a (seemingly) witty insult or some pompous bombast.

Roger Ebert summed White up correctly:
On Thursday night I posted in entry in defense of Armond White's review of "District 9." Overnight I received reader comments causing me to rethink that entry, in particular this eye-popping link supplied by Wes Lawson. I realized I had to withdraw my overall defense of White. I was not familiar enough with his work. It is baffling to me that a critic could praise "Transformers 2" but not "Synecdoche, NY." Or "Death Race" but not "There Will be Blood." I am forced to conclude that White is, as charged, a troll. A smart and knowing one, but a troll.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009...ond_white.html
Of course, White responded:

White is offended by Ebert's "professional disrespect" and by his "encouraging" the thoughtlessly vicious commentary being directed at him at Rotten Tomatoes and elsewhere on the Internet.

"The guy has won a Pulitzer Prize for criticism," White says. "Criticizing colleagues is not what we do."

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/06/23...dy-mad-at-him/
But do a search for White's columns, and you'll find him making constant criticisms about other critics and their methodology.
Old 01-12-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

False premise. That would shock no regular rider of the subway.
Old 01-12-11, 10:12 AM
Cool New Member

God, this guy is such an arrogant prick.
Old 01-12-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the problem with being known for being shocking or contrarian. At first people are outraged, then, as they stop caring, the only way to get them to pay attention again is to act even more outrageously.
He could always follow the Marilyn Manson route.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.