Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Armond White Emcees NY Critics Awards, Insults Winners

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Armond White Emcees NY Critics Awards, Insults Winners

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Armond White Emcees NY Critics Awards, Insults Winners

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The problem is, his reviews are not serious film criticism, they're pseudo-intellectual bullshit. I had an editing teacher in college just like him. He manages to twist everything to his agenda, instead of judging the films on their own merits.

And I should probably say this now, because I'm sure it'll get pounced on: I have no problem with intellectual discussions of films or any subject. In fact, I welcome it. I'm rejecting the assumption that White is writing with any semblance of intellectual rigor.
I'll have to agree to disagree. I just read his review of The Social Network and I find it very perceptive. I didn't find any traces of pseudo-intellectual bullshit. I particularly like this observation:

"If it is true that The Social Network defines the decade, as an ad blurb states, then that’s just an accident of its shortcomings. We need to look deeper: It inadvertently defines an era when subterfuge and reprehensible behavior are accepted as a social norm—especially if it proves lucrative. No wonder mainstream media minions have flipped for The Social Network; they recognize the fiat of technological privilege."

You may not agree but that's a valid point of view and certainly worth considering.

As far as twisting everything to an agenda and judging a film on it's own merits, I don't think this is entirely possible all the time. Criticism is all about agenda, agenda being your own tastes, point of view/sociological perspective. It's not an objective endeavor in the least. I'm sure his view of The Social Network has been influenced by his own experiences regarding internet bullying. Which is entirely to be expected and fair game.
Old 01-13-11, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
via dictionary.com on it's definition of trash...

Little man...is a crappy film. With no redeeming qualities as a film. It's filmmaking bears no surprise or growth in the "art" of film. The plot and execution of it is predictable and boring. Everything's pretty much by the book in it's filming and editing. Nothing fantastic. I'm pretty sure they were going out there to make a good comedy. It's not. It's not the first time The Wayans failed at making a good comedy.

Inception's filmmaking takes surprising techniques in it's execution. And also furthers an influence in filmmaking construction and execution of what can be done in the frame. The plot isn't deep or excessive in depth but it's execution was pretty dang good.

Black Swan has a damn fine performance by Portman. While the plot is on basis: Obsession w/ one's art...again it's execution of a growing obsession in the art and madness from it is damn well presented. Within the frame it garners a lot of detail. The direction of it is extremely well controlled especially w/ the subject matter. A subject matter where one could easily fall into failure. The visual detail is well constructed as well. The editing is extremely well executed.
Nice try but Inception hasn't done any of those things. What do you mean "what can be done in the frame"? It doesn't look any better than your average Tony Scott film from the 80's.
Old 01-13-11, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
You're right. No one on the internet has ever hated conservative politics or a black person with attitude. Never....
Kind of like no one here has hated a liberal or a white person w/ an attitude. Black people...hogging all the hate for themselves..how selfish.

And to be honest...I don't know who's what race when it comes to critics. Ebert and Siskel were pretty much the only critics I knew and actually saw that they were white. Race has nothing to do with our opinion of him...unless some of us hate black people. ESPECIALLY black people w/ attitude. Those fucking bastards taking all the hate for themselves.

You guys get a lot of mileage out of that one huh?

You guys take critical opinions way too personally...I love reading film criticism and I never hated a critic for writing a negative column about a movie I love. I would dislike a critic because of shallow, stupid writing but not differences of opinion. I disagree with lots of Armonds reviews but his columns are the cream of the crop when it comes to serious film criticism. Especially compared with 99% of the rotten tomatoes crowd. It's like the Romper Room over there.
I love reading film criticism too. I'm a film major. I've had maybe too much to read, actually. Considering that while he is an educated person, his film reviews aren't the cream of the crop. They're practically emotional and adjective ridden for no reason. They're not constructed well in terms of actual criticism. When you critique a film, you critique what you have in front of you. Not what created it, not what you feel of it beforehand, nor what details are known before or after you see it. Otherwise...I'd hate some element in Chinatown cuz of Polanski (who I still think should be punished)

Last edited by Solid Snake; 01-13-11 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-13-11, 08:08 PM
Banned

Nice try but Inception hasn't done any of those things. What do you mean "what can be done in the frame"? It doesn't look any better than your average Tony Scott film from the 80's.
In the frame..as...in the frame. What you see in the box of pictures ie the visuals of the film. What is actually done on set at the time of filming. You don't think for ex: the hallway sequence w/ JGL has some damn fine work done in the frame? That's hard as hell I bet to pull off. And it is. Also considering how much work Nolan likes to have as a practical element onscreeen that's also worth recognizing in a (cliched statement coming...now) when everyone loves to just have a shit ton of CG in that frame. Not that he doesn't use CG, cuz he does. But he uses it when it's needed in order to add some kind of dimension not possible in a physical plane.
Old 01-13-11, 08:13 PM

In the frame..as...in the frame. What you see in the box of pictures ie the visuals of the film. What is actually done on set at the time of filming. You don't think for ex: the hallway sequence w/ JGL has some damn fine work done in the frame? That's hard as hell I bet to pull off. And it is. Also considering how much work Nolan likes to have as a practical element onscreeen that's also worth recognizing in a (cliched statement coming...now) when everyone loves to just have a shit ton of CG in that frame. Not that he doesn't use CG, cuz he does. But he uses it when it's needed in order to add some kind of dimension not possible in a physical plane.
They actually went thousands of feet in the air and at rediculous speeds using multi-million dollar fighter jets to complete actual aerial photgraphy for Top Gun. I bet that was hard too.
Old 01-13-11, 08:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll have to agree to disagree. I just read his review of The Social Network and I find it very perceptive. I didn't find any traces of pseudo-intellectual bullshit. I particularly like this observation:

"If it is true that The Social Network defines the decade, as an ad blurb states, then that’s just an accident of its shortcomings. We need to look deeper: It inadvertently defines an era when subterfuge and reprehensible behavior are accepted as a social norm—especially if it proves lucrative. No wonder mainstream media minions have flipped for The Social Network; they recognize the fiat of technological privilege."

You may not agree but that's a valid point of view and certainly worth considering.

As far as twisting everything to an agenda and judging a film on it's own merits, I don't think this is entirely possible all the time. Criticism is all about agenda, agenda being your own tastes, point of view/sociological perspective. It's not an objective endeavor in the least. I'm sure his view of The Social Network has been influenced by his own experiences regarding internet bullying. Which is entirely to be expected and fair game.
He's determining the film's message based on a quote from another critic? To me, to say it's a shortcoming that the film glorifies those who stab others in the back means he wasn't watching the movie for what it was, he was watching it with an angle for how he could dislike it, thus driving attention to him and the publication he works for.

I've read Armond White's reviews, and I've listened to David Fincher speak about his films. The idea that White has a more penetrating insight into them than Fincher himself does is laughable (and I will say that there are directors out there who are not as perceptive as their critics, but Fincher is not one of them). White missed the point with The Social Network just as badly as Ebert, a far more noteworthy critic (and not just because of his popularity), missed the mark with Fight Club.
Old 01-13-11, 08:18 PM

You don't think the film glorifies a person who is essentially an immature, petulant child?
Old 01-13-11, 08:20 PM
Banned by request

No more than Citizen Kane glorifies Charles Foster Kane.

To be less oblique: Anyone who achieves as much as William Hearst or Mark Zuckerberg does (and whether or not you like Facebook, there's no denying the achievement of how pervasive it has become in society) is going to be seen, at times, as a glorious figure, due to their ability to do something others cannot. But if you thought that The Social Network glorified Zuckerberg, or by extension, Sean Parker, you must have been watching that movie while asleep. Or, as I believe was the case with White, with an agenda.
Old 01-13-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear he has a club, lives under a bridge and eats the bones of children.

Trying to stand up for Armond White is like trying to stand up for Josef Mengele.

As heard about Josef Mengele- "Well, I find Dr. Mengele to be quite intelligent. Sure, his ways are frowned on by some but he is a man who really sees the bigger picture. I find him to be a superb genius."
Old 01-13-11, 08:33 PM
Banned by request

Oh come on, don't Godwin the thread.
Old 01-13-11, 08:35 PM

No more than Citizen Kane glorifies Charles Foster Kane.

To be less oblique: Anyone who achieves as much as William Hearst or Mark Zuckerberg does (and whether or not you like Facebook, there's no denying the achievement of how pervasive it has become in society) is going to be seen, at times, as a glorious figure, due to their ability to do something others cannot. But if you thought that The Social Network glorified Zuckerberg, or by extension, Sean Parker, you must have been watching that movie while asleep. Or, as I believe was the case with White, with an agenda.
Did you even read the whole column? He's laid it out all out quite neatly. He even mention Kane, in addition to The Bad and the Beautiful in the last paragraph of the column:

"Kane was not about a brat’s betrayal, but about a sensitive braggart’s psychological and philosophical shift inward. The Social Network is more like Hollywood’s classic film industry self-romance The Bad and the Beautiful. Yet that Kane-lite film never excused its bad-boy protagonist’s sins and ended magnanimously by converging his three injured parties’ points of view into one beautifully clarifying narrative. It admitted our cultural compromises; this is TV-trite. In The Social Network, creepiness is heroized."
Old 01-13-11, 08:37 PM

via dictionary.com on it's definition of trash...

Quote:
–noun
5.literary or artistic material of poor or inferior quality.
Andy Warhol would disagree
Old 01-13-11, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I hear he has a club, lives under a bridge and eats the bones of children.

Trying to stand up for Armond White is like trying to stand up for Josef Mengele.

As heard about Josef Mengele- "Well, I find Dr. Mengele to be quite intelligent. Sure, his ways are frowned on by some but he is a man who really sees the bigger picture. I find him to be a superb genius."
Come on guy you know that's uncalled for.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

White's Better-Than List for 2010. The existance of this is proof that he's a troll. He didn't make a list of overlooked films to recognize work that didn't get enough attention; he just wants another excuse to slam well reviewed films. And in the case of The Social Network, he has to slam it three times.

http://www.nypress.com/article-22020...list-2010.html
Better-Than List 2010
The Social Network is unfriended, Annette Bening is the best mother and Todd Solondz's dark satire trumps a king's stutter in ARMOND WHITE's annual reassessment of the year's top films.
By Armond White
. . . . . . .
Mainstream Consensus names The Social Network the film of the year but everybody knows it lacks the power and popularity of true consensus-making films like On the Waterfront, The Godfather, E.T. and Saving Private Ryan. The questionable unanimity around TSN proves the disconnect between pundits and the public and exposes how so-called critics' tendency to flatter their own caste fails to grasp genuine film art.

This year's Better-Than List provides an opportunity to see how a great year for movies, highlighted by a renaissance of cinema's Old Masters—from Resnais and Bellocchio to Chabrol and Haile Gerima—has been obscured by the media preference for slick new images of its own noxious, select kind. The Social Network rewards immorality, but this list knows better.

Wild Grass > The Social Network
Alain Resnais concocted one of the year's two best films with a constantly inventive fantasia on our common idiosyncrasynot polarized like the high-tech bullying that David Fincher burnishes and sentimentalizes.

Vincere > Carlos
Marco Bellocchio, still vital, still relevant, explores the neuroses of mass hysteria via film, opera and sexual magnetism. One of the year's two best films, this political psychological drama embarrasses Olivier Assayas' terrorist chic commitment to nothing.

Mother and Child > The Kids Are All Right
Rodrigo Garcia delves into the meaning of community though basic female experience (Naomi Watts, Annette Bening and Kerry Washington, all brilliant). He digs deeper into sex, community and local politics than Lisa Cholodenko's facile, P.C., button-pushing lesbian sitcom.

Life During Wartime > The King's Speech
Todd Solondz, America's toughest satirist, posits post-9/11 forgiveness and takes the temperature of the zeitgeist; it is the year's most provocative film, but the Anglophiliac celebration of England's George VI on the brink of WWII is the year's tiredest.

Another Year > The Social Network
Mike Leigh looks at the middle-aged need to connect sympathetically, exquisitely, while Fincher and Aaron Sorkin's TV-glib script reduces human relations to a sophomoric power grab.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World > Inception
Edgar Wright finds a funny, sexy, visually exciting way to illustrate the mind while Christopher Nolan bends the frame—and fanboys—into mindlessness.

The Girl on the Train > Winter's Bone
André Téchiné transposes the Tawana Brawley incident to France for a global tale of adolescent need vs. a pandering hillbilly Precious.

Ondine > Black Swan
Neil Jordan shows the importance of myth and faith in an Irish romantic epic so visually ravishing (shot by Christopher Doyle) it feels absolutely new, but Aronofsky rips-off Repulsion and The Red Shoes to terrify and excite the ignorant, faithless and over-cultured.

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole > Toy Story 3
Zack Snyder's such a compelling visionary he can credibly turn owls into human surrogates while resurrecting the moral meaning of narrative; Toy Story 3 is a full-length commercial for dupes who mistake merchandizing for culture.

Teza > White Material
Haile Gerima dramatizes a young Ethiopian's awakening conscience while tracing the modern history of Europe's impact on colonial political thought. Gerima's deep feeling contrasts Claire Denis' wacky white guilt and death wish.

Takers & The Fighter > The Town
David O. Russell and John Luessenhop find ethnic vitality in street history and genre heroics, but Ben Affleck's trite condescension only finds degrading ethnic and genre stereotypes.

Easier With Practice > Easy A
Kyle Patrick Alvarez sensitively depicts young adult sexual pressure but Easy A reduces the legacy of The Scarlet Letter to an insipid teen flick that cheers dishonesty and greed.

Please Give > Greenberg
Nicole Holofcener's best-yet film understands it's not all about "me," but Noah Baumbach advertises his own repugnant egotism, striking a chord with evil critics everywhere—but thankfully, not the public.

I Love You Phillip Morris > I Am Love
Directing team Glenn Ficarra and John Requa boldly assert gay love—truly progressive sexual and cultural politics featuring the performance of Jim Carrey's career—while Tilda Swinton showboats epicene, gay special pleading disguised in ersatz melodrama.

Jonah Hex > True Grit
Jimmy Hayward's neo-Western—written by unsung geniuses Neveldine-Taylor—is more stirring than even the Coen Brothers' very-good remake.

Inspector Bellamy > Blue Valentine
Claude Chabrol's sensibility—and epitaph—finds the full range of life experience in a detective's duty to wife, family and the world. It corrects Blue Valentine's immature sex obsession.

City Island > The Social Network
Gotta have at the Facebook movie once again, if only to counter the fallacious consensus that no other movie dealt with the Internet phenomenon. Ray De Felitta's emotionally large family comedy and Andy Garcia's warm comeback performance epitomized timeless, non-cyber interfacing.
Does White really think that Fincher sentimentalized FB and/or Zuckerberg? What movie did he see?
Banned by request

Did you even read the whole column? He's laid it out all out quite neatly. He even mention Kane, in addition to The Bad and the Beautiful in the last paragraph of the column:

"Kane was not about a brat’s betrayal, but about a sensitive braggart’s psychological and philosophical shift inward. The Social Network is more like Hollywood’s classic film industry self-romance The Bad and the Beautiful. Yet that Kane-lite film never excused its bad-boy protagonist’s sins and ended magnanimously by converging his three injured parties’ points of view into one beautifully clarifying narrative. It admitted our cultural compromises; this is TV-trite. In The Social Network, creepiness is heroized."
The Social Network does not ever excuse Zuckerberg's behavior. That's what I'm taking umbrage with. White's looking at the movie and declaring that it's telling us we should all be like Zuckerberg, which is absurd. And that movie couldn't be about a man's turn inward, because he's turned inward before the movie even started.
Old 01-13-11, 08:40 PM

Here is my point.

True, AW is a critic but even if he has some generally good views or abilities, he ruins it all by how he uses and presents them.

If Mengele possessed any good traits as a Doctor, he ruined them by his atrocities.

White, to me is in the same vain, It's not that I NEVER agree with him, or find some of what he says at least on somewhat the right track, it's how he chooses to use his ability as a known critic, and for his clear fascination with being contrary.

His atrocities outweigh any fine points in his criticism.
Old 01-13-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

"deep or excessive in depth"

Old 01-13-11, 08:53 PM

Jonah Hex > True Grit?

Really? Even for Armond White to say that........
Old 01-13-11, 08:53 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Here is my point.

True, AW is a critic but even if he has some generally good views or abilities, he ruins it all by how he uses and presents them.

If Mengele possessed any good traits as a Doctor, he ruined them by his atrocities.

White, to me is in the same vain, It's not that I NEVER agree with him, or find some of what he says at least on somewhat the right track, it's how he chooses to use his ability as a known critic, and for his clear fascination with being contrary.

His atrocities outweigh any fine points in his criticism.
By the same token, comparing a film critic to a Nazi undermines the point you're trying to make. And calling trollish opinions on movies "an atrocity" when compared against the grotesque human experimentation of Mengele only further serves to drive your point farther into the background.
Old 01-13-11, 09:02 PM

By the same token, comparing a film critic to a Nazi undermines the point you're trying to make.
I think it is appropriate for AW. His ways are extreme, therefore an extreme, hyperbolic comparison is justified.

Clearly, I don't find him on the same level as a Nazi for christs sake. I think the comparison is a valid point.
Old 01-13-11, 09:03 PM
Banned

Andy Warhol would disagree
about what? Was it something he said or what?

He's famous and has been recognized/respected/influential rom his art. While I may not dig his art, I'm not calling it trash. He does have quality on his side.
Old 01-13-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Come on guy you know that's uncalled for.
Yeah, foofighters7. Show Dr. Mengele some respect.

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, if you guys find this critic's opinions so offensive, why even pay any attention to him?
Old 01-13-11, 09:35 PM
Banned by request

Ultimately, the point I was trying to make about his review of The Social Network is that he's either missed the point of the film, in which case he's also missed the point of a lot of other movies and hides behind big words and political diatribes to cover for his lack of understanding, or he's willfully misinterpreting them in order to condemn them (or, for a movie like Jonah Hex, praise it). Either he's more moronic than the people he's condemning and playing a big bluff to hide it, or he's being intellectually dishonest. I guess it's possible that he's genuinely misunderstanding movies and condemning others for their inability to see like he does, but that doesn't make his criticism any more useful to me than if he were doing it solely to sell more papers.

about what? Was it something he said or what?

He's famous and has been recognized/respected/influential rom his art. While I may not dig his art, I'm not calling it trash. He does have quality on his side.
Warhol turned trash into art.
Old 01-13-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I posit that the fact that he chose Jonah Hex over True Grit proves how he's a hack. Jonah Hex was no movie, it was a series of ideas that were strung together by the character. There was no narrative structure and yet he complained that Black Swan's narrative structure was ill-defined, pointing to Kanye West's Runaway as a better example, which it's not.

Sure some of his babble can hit the point, just like a blind squirrel finds a nut. But the guy is a troll and to defend him as otherwise is to ignore factual proof of his trolling.
Old 01-13-11, 09:59 PM

Ultimately, the point I was trying to make about his review of The Social Network is that he's either missed the point of the film, in which case he's also missed the point of a lot of other movies and hides behind big words and political diatribes to cover for his lack of understanding, or he's willfully misinterpreting them in order to condemn them (or, for a movie like Jonah Hex, praise it). Either he's more moronic than the people he's condemning and playing a big bluff to hide it, or he's being intellectually dishonest. I guess it's possible that he's genuinely misunderstanding movies and condemning others for their inability to see like he does, but that doesn't make his criticism any more useful to me than if he were doing it solely to sell more papers.

Warhol turned trash into art.
I've wondered about this myself, and I find this to be at the heart of his trolldom. Either he is truly lost, or he knows perfectly well what he is doing but is resolved to concoct this distorted, bastardized version of the "truth" to..I don't know...make money, be famous, destroy Noah Baumbach. I tend to believe it's a bit from column A and a bit from column B. (more from B)

I go back and forth with this. Sometimes he says something and I find myself agreeing in some principle but also wishing he would collapse at his desk ah la the animator in 'The Holy Grail', simply because he distorts things so freely.

Other times, he seems to have some vendetta and purposely takes the opposite view of logic, no matter how glaring the obviousness of the issue.

Moron or Liar...that is the question.

Again, the whole good review, bad review of 'The Hurt Locker' sums up Armond White as a contrarian, but also brings all of his criticisms into question. Are they truly what he wholeheartedly believes or are they simply a whim that changes depending upon other peoples perceptions?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.