Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Armond White Emcees NY Critics Awards, Insults Winners

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Armond White Emcees NY Critics Awards, Insults Winners

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Armond White Emcees NY Critics Awards, Insults Winners

First: Kanye West's short film runaway is a stunning work of surrealist art. I'm not even a fan and I think it's a great piece of work.

Second: Aronofski is narcissistic prick. This would be OK if he were a genuine artist but his talent does not match his pretentions.

Third: Armond White, despite his eccentricities, is an intelligent writer whose puts the current mainstream critical community to shame. Which is not hard as 99% of this community is comprised of simpleton blurb writers who wouldn't know great art if it hit them on the head in the form of an anvil from the Acme corp. or are afraid of being too harsh on certain movies for fear of losing their jobs (Lisa Schwartzbaum, ahem)

This is a great article
http://www.nypress.com/article-8327-...hollywood.html

And for anyone who is interested, here is what Whites editor Jerry Portwood has to say about the event
http://www.nypress.com/blog-8067-con...-the-game.html
Old 01-12-11, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are....are you serious?

I don't get it. Are you joking?
Old 01-12-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
First: Kanye West's short film runaway is a stunning work of surrealist art. I'm not even a fan and I think it's a great piece of work.

Second: Aronofski is narcissistic prick. This would be OK if he were a genuine artist but his talent does not match his pretentions.

Third: Armond White, despite his eccentricities, is an intelligent writer whose puts the current mainstream critical community to shame. Which is not hard as 99% of this community is comprised of simpleton blurb writers who wouldn't know great art if it hit them on the head in the form of an anvil from the Acme corp. or are afraid of being too harsh on certain movies for fear of losing their jobs (Lisa Schwartzbaum, ahem)

This is a great article

And for anyone who is interested, here is what Whites editor Jerry Portwood has to say about the event
You really shouldn't type with your mouth full. *GURKLE GURKLE GURKLE*
Old 01-12-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Strevlac, please back up your parenthetical attack by providing the titles of three Warner Brothers 2010 movies that Lisa Schwartzbaum has praised, making her a contrarian to overwhelmingly negative reviews from other critics.
Old 01-13-11, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strevlac is Armond White, that's the only reasonable explanation.
Old 01-13-11, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

This is a great article

"Wouldn't know great art"

Possibly, but they certainly can detect crap, something White seems incapable of doing. Plus White's habit of blatantly calling people stupid is incredibly juvenile ("No intelligent person really thinks The English Patient, Shakespeare in Love, Chocolat, Cider House Rules, In the Bedroom or Chicago are good movies." for instance. From a man that raved over the unwatchable War and equally terrible Takers.)
Old 01-13-11, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

This is a great article

Does Aronofski direct for The Asylum?

Also, your praise for Kanye is setting my "simpleton blurb" detector off.
Old 01-13-11, 04:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Does Aronofski direct for The Asylum?

Also, your praise for Kanye is setting my "simpleton blurb" detector off.
I think you're calling a large percentage of the critical music community simpletons there. But perhaps that is your aim. I'm sure you'll come back with some witty rejoinder saying that it was, anyway.
Old 01-13-11, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great art like Jonah Hex, Little Man, and Mr. 3000?
Old 01-13-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why the hell is this a big deal? Do you think the NYC Film Critics chose him as a host expecting he'd play nice? This is a publicity stunt, and not by White.
Old 01-13-11, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great article

^ Possibly one of the funniest post I have seen.

It's done in the same retardation inducing way that AW does his 'reviews'.

Take something that either, A) you know nothing about, or B) know a bit about but say the exact opposite of what you think the 'mainstream' people will say, then present it as fact, even though you and everyone who breathes is quite aware your full of shit.

Even if you believe AW is a "intelligent writer" (who knows, maybe you have had a severe brain injury), how can you even begin to stand up for his attacks, or his clear contrary behavior?

I mentioned his good review, bad review of 'The Hurt Locker'. Can you explain the reason this happened to such a 'brilliant writer'?

I must say I agree with Anomynous' ascertation of this guy's post. That really has to be the reason, I mean, even retards are not that bad, are they?
Old 01-13-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive been agreeing with white more and more lately. Whenever these big acclaimed movies come out that im not agreeing with the hype, i can read his review and he will get it. Problem is when he praises crap. But i think in a way he is an artist too, trying to get the reader to look at "good" and "bad" movies differently.
Old 01-13-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He is a hack. He's just a hack with a decent vocabulary.
Old 01-13-11, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CloverClover
Ive been agreeing with white more and more lately. Whenever these big acclaimed movies come out that im not agreeing with the hype, i can read his review and he will get it. Problem is when he praises crap. But i think in a way he is an artist too, trying to get the reader to look at "good" and "bad" movies differently.
he's....a critic. He's not an artist. Not even w/ words.
Old 01-13-11, 02:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
^ Possibly one of the funniest post I have seen.

It's done in the same retardation inducing way that AW does his 'reviews'.

Take something that either, A) you know nothing about, or B) know a bit about but say the exact opposite of what you think the 'mainstream' people will say, then present it as fact, even though you and everyone who breathes is quite aware your full of shit.

Even if you believe AW is a "intelligent writer" (who knows, maybe you have had a severe brain injury), how can you even begin to stand up for his attacks, or his clear contrary behavior?

I mentioned his good review, bad review of 'The Hurt Locker'. Can you explain the reason this happened to such a 'brilliant writer'?

I must say I agree with Anomynous' ascertation of this guy's post. That really has to be the reason, I mean, even retards are not that bad, are they?
Mod Note: While you are free to debate the points made, please refrain from doing so in a manner that constitutes a personal attack. If you feel White is idiotic, that is fine. But if you then compare a member to White, you're making a personal attack. Tread carefully.
Old 01-13-11, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Great art like Jonah Hex, Little Man, and Mr. 3000?
He loves great trash as well. He would be the first to admit it. Why does Little Man deserve such rabid critical scorn while the equally vacuous but incredibly pretentious Inception and Black Swan has everyone creaming their pants? They are all trash, but Little Man knows it and plays it for all it's worth.

Sure Armonds style can rub people the wrong way but I have to wonder where the white-hot hatred of this man comes from. Sometimes I think it might have something to do with his conservative politics and skin color. Pauline Kael could but be as much of a bitch as White, if not moreso. Not everyone liked her either but Jesus the hate for Armond is off the charts.
Old 01-13-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

strevlac = armond white?
Old 01-13-11, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
strevlac = armond white?
You guys get a lot of mileage out of that one huh?

You guys take critical opinions way too personally...I love reading film criticism and I never hated a critic for writing a negative column about a movie I love. I would dislike a critic because of shallow, stupid writing but not differences of opinion. I disagree with lots of Armonds reviews but his columns are the cream of the crop when it comes to serious film criticism. Especially compared with 99% of the rotten tomatoes crowd. It's like the Romper Room over there.
Old 01-13-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He loves great trash as well. He would be the first to admit it. Why does Little Man deserve such rabid critical scorn while the equally vacuous but incredibly pretentious Inception and Black Swan has everyone creaming their pants? They are all trash, but Little Man knows it and plays it for all it's worth.

Sure Armonds style can rub people the wrong way but I have to wonder where the white-hot hatred of this man comes from. Sometimes I think it might have something to do with his conservative politics and skin color. Pauline Kael could but be as much of a bitch as White, if not moreso. Not everyone liked her either but Jesus the hate for Armond is off the charts.
Obvious troll is obvious. All I need to know from you. Good night and pound sand.
Old 01-13-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys take critical opinions way too personally...I love reading film criticism and I never hated a critic for writing a negative column about a movie I love. I would dislike a critic because of shallow, stupid writing but not differences of opinion. I disagree with lots of Armonds reviews but his columns are the cream of the crop when it comes to serious film criticism. Especially compared with 99% of the rotten tomatoes crowd. It's like the Romper Room over there.
I'd rather read a shitty review of something like Black Swan than an eloquently-worded thesis on the triumphs of Jonah Hex.
Old 01-13-11, 07:13 PM

When critics get personal with who they attack - a director, an actor, or someone else in the filmmaking food chain, that's when I begin to hate them. I've never even heard of Armond White before this thread but from what's been said here it's safe to assume that he's exactly the type to do such a thing.
Old 01-13-11, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Obvious troll is obvious. All I need to know from you. Good night and pound sand.
You're right. No one on the internet has ever hated conservative politics or a black person with attitude. Never....
Old 01-13-11, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'd rather read a shitty review of something like Black Swan than an eloquently-worded thesis on the triumphs of Jonah Hex.
Why?
Old 01-13-11, 07:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem is, his reviews are not serious film criticism, they're pseudo-intellectual bullshit. I had an editing teacher in college just like him. He manages to twist everything to his agenda, instead of judging the films on their own merits.

And I should probably say this now, because I'm sure it'll get pounced on: I have no problem with intellectual discussions of films or any subject. In fact, I welcome it. I'm rejecting the assumption that White is writing with any semblance of intellectual rigor.
Old 01-13-11, 07:30 PM
Banned

via dictionary.com on it's definition of trash...

–noun
1.anything worthless, useless, or discarded; rubbish.
2.foolish or pointless ideas, talk, or writing; nonsense.
3.a worthless or disreputable person.
4.such persons collectively.
5.literary or artistic material of poor or inferior quality.
6.broken or torn bits, as twigs, splinters, rags, or the like.
7.something that is broken or lopped off from anything in preparing it for use.
8.the refuse of sugar cane after the juice has been expressed.
9.Computers . an icon of a trash can that is used to delete files dragged onto it.
Little man...is a crappy film. With no redeeming qualities as a film. It's filmmaking bears no surprise or growth in the "art" of film. The plot and execution of it is predictable and boring. Everything's pretty much by the book in it's filming and editing. Nothing fantastic. I'm pretty sure they were going out there to make a good comedy. It's not. It's not the first time The Wayans failed at making a good comedy.

Inception's filmmaking takes surprising techniques in it's execution. And also furthers an influence in filmmaking construction and execution of what can be done in the frame. The plot isn't deep or excessive in depth but it's execution was pretty dang good.

Black Swan has a damn fine performance by Portman. While the plot is on basis: Obsession w/ one's art...again it's execution of a growing obsession in the art and madness from it is damn well presented. Within the frame it garners a lot of detail. The direction of it is extremely well controlled especially w/ the subject matter. A subject matter where one could easily fall into failure. The visual detail is well constructed as well. The editing is extremely well executed.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 01-13-11 at 07:41 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.