DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Can somebody explain these movie scenes to me? (Involving bullets)s) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/584410-can-somebody-explain-these-movie-scenes-me-involving-bullets-s.html)

7Keys 01-10-11 09:16 PM

Can somebody explain these movie scenes to me? (Involving bullets)s)

I've seen in a few movies, including Taxi Driver, where the following takes place...

Someone will place a bullet on a table, take a knife blade and etch a "+" into the tip of the bullet, and then gently tap the blade into the tip of bullet with some kind of blunt object.

What is the point of this?

Edited to add: Sorry for the typo in the thread title. My keyboard is a little wonky and the cursor jumps around.

Mondo Kane 01-10-11 09:20 PM

Re: Can somebody explain these movie scenes to me? (Involving bullets)s)

Hollow point=Nasty damage

7Keys 01-10-11 09:23 PM

I figured it would be something along that line, but how does that cause more damage?

Numanoid 01-10-11 09:23 PM

I'm not a weapons nut, but I assume it is so the slug will split open (widen) on impact, making a bigger hole as it passes through the target.

Solid Snake 01-10-11 09:31 PM

from wikipedia:

A hollow point is an expanding bullet that has a pit or hollowed out shape in its tip, generally intended to cause the bullet to expand upon entering a target in order to decrease penetration and disrupt more tissue as it travels through the target. It is also used for controlled penetration, where over-penetration could cause collateral damage (such as on an aircraft). In essence, the hollow point bullet has two interrelated purposes: to increase its size once within the target, thus maximizing tissue damage and blood loss or shock, and by remaining in the target to expend all of its kinetic energy in the target, some of which will be lost if the bullet continues through the target

7Keys 01-10-11 09:44 PM

^ Thanks, I tried searching for an answer earlier but couldn't find one. I wasn't quite sure what the effect it had on the bullet. It's been shown in quite a few movies.

Troy Stiffler 01-10-11 10:03 PM

It's also good for vampire killin'.

Solid Snake 01-10-11 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 7Keys (Post 10583568)
^ Thanks, I tried searching for an answer earlier but couldn't find one. I wasn't quite sure what the effect it had on the bullet. It's been shown in quite a few movies.

well to be honest...I only assumed it did what it actually does but not till Mondo Kane called it out did I have the chance to actually know the details. I didn't exactly know why they did that and whatnot. So..yay team!

Heat 01-12-11 01:45 AM

But why not just buy hollow point rounds?

PopcornTreeCt 01-12-11 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Heat (Post 10585782)

I was thinking the same thing.

Wazootyman 01-12-11 02:24 AM

I only see one question here... where are my bullet points?

arminius 01-12-11 09:37 AM

From wackypedia:

The earliest examples of bullets specifically designed to expand on impact were those fired by express rifles, which were developed in the mid 19th century. Express rifles used larger powder charges and lighter bullets than typical for the time to achieve very high velocities for black powder cartridges. One method of lightening the bullets used was to provide a deep cavity in the nose of the bullet. These were the first hollow point bullets, and in addition to developing higher velocities, they also expanded significantly upon impact. These hollow point bullets worked well on thin-skinned game, but tended to come apart on bigger game, resulting in insufficient penetration. One solution to this was the "cruciform expanding bullet", a solid bullet with an X shaped incision in the tip. This split section expanded to the depth of the incision, and then stopped, making it an early form of controlled expansion bullet.[7]

So the X incision stopped the bullet expansion at a point where the projectile stayed in one piece maximizing damage. These types are outlawed for use in warfare. Anyone taken prisoner who had these on him were not looked upon with great joy.

.Alex. 01-12-11 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Heat (Post 10585782)

It adds dynamic to the film.

Solid Snake 01-12-11 11:11 PM

it's...cheaper to make them yourself?

Dr Mabuse 01-13-11 12:06 AM

A cross cut non-jacketed round does not behave like a hollow point on impact.

It does add a different dynamic to the wound channel and crush cavity, but it's not a 'do it yourself' hollow point. The two are different.

But in essence the answers so far give the gist of it.

Michael Corvin 01-13-11 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10587519)
it's...cheaper to make them yourself?

Time = money

Solid Snake 01-13-11 01:21 PM

touche, sir.