Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Oldboy" director Park Chan-wook shoots entire new movie on... an iPhone 4!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(I didn't see anything about this posted, if it already was mentioned, mods feel free to lock/delete)

Acclaimed South Korean film director Park Chan-wook is wielding a new cinematic tool: the iPhone. Park, director of the internationally known "Old Boy," ''Lady Vengeance" and "Thirst," said Monday that his new fantasy-horror film Paranmanjang was shot entirely on Apple Inc.'s iconic smartphone! I love the idea of a A-list director attempting something of this magnitude. More details on the side project can be found inside.

"The new technology creates strange effects because it is new and because it is a medium the audience is used to," Park told reporters Monday.

"Paranmanjang," which means a "life full of ups and downs" in Korean, is about a man transcending his current and former lives. He catches a woman while fishing in a river in the middle of the night. They both end up entangled in the line and he thinks she is dead.

Suddenly, though, she wakes up, strangles him and he passes out. When the woman awakens him, she is wearing his clothing and he hers. She cries and calls him "father."

The movie, made on a budget of 150 million won ($133,000), was shot using the iPhone 4 and is slated to open in South Korean theaters on Jan. 27. Park made the 30-minute film with his younger brother Park Chan-kyong, also a director.

Park Chan-wook's "Old Boy," a blood-soaked thriller about a man out for revenge after years of inexplicable imprisonment, took second place at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival. His vampire romance "Thirst" shared the third-place award at Cannes in 2009.

Park Chan-kyong said that a wide variety of angles and edits were possible because numerous cameras could be used.

"There are some good points of making a movie with the iPhone as there are many people around the world who like to play and have fun with them," Park Chan-wook said. Compared to other movie cameras, the iPhone was good "because it is light and small and because anyone can use it," he said.

He said the directors attached lenses to their phones and nothing was particularly different from shooting a regular movie.

Lee Jung-hyun, who plays the woman, said the film has a bit of everything.

Though it is a short film with a running time around 30 minutes it "mixes all elements from horror and fantasy to some humor," she said.
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/22981

The movie is already complete and hitting Korean theaters for a brief run later this month.

And when we say that 'Paranmanjang' was shot entirely on an iPhone 4, we mean that 'Paranmanjang' was shot entirely on an iPhone 4. According to Park, who spoke to the Korean press following a screening of the film, "From hunting for a film location, shooting auditions, to doing a documentary on the filming process, everything was shot with the iPhone 4. We went through all the same film-making processes except that the camera was small."

'Paranmanjang' appears to be something of a fable, a characteristically droll and lightly horrifying tale of a fisherman who catches the body of a dead woman. The fisherman faints, and when he comes to he's wearing the white clothes of the woman who was entangled in his line. At that point the film's perspective flips to that of the woman, and the short "Becomes a tale of life and death from a traditional Korean point of view."
http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/01/10...-iphone-movie/
Old 01-10-11, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: "Oldboy" director Park Chan-wook shoots entire new movie on... an iPhone 4!

wtf?

well.....I hope it's good cuz it's got my interest even though the premise is slightly confusinb but very intriguing to me.
Old 01-10-11, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its a 30 min short right? That means we'll prob have to wait for dvd/blu to see it
Old 01-10-11, 09:50 PM

I'm curious to see how this would even look on bluray. I know the iphone 4 shoots in HD video, but only at 720p.

Regardless, I'm really sold on this. I've enjoyed all of his movies that I've seen so far, and his short that was on Three Extremes was really good too. So I think he can definitely deliver a "full" movie in 30 minutes. Hopefully it doesn't take forever to get released stateside though..
Old 01-10-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Drav3n
I'm curious to see how this would even look on bluray. I know the iphone 4 shoots in HD video, but only at 720p.
wasn't some of Catfish shot on an IPhone?
Old 01-10-11, 10:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

This = more fail than Inland Empire and 28 Days Later shot on DV.
Old 01-10-11, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
No idea. Haven't seen that movie yet, and haven't even read or heard much about that movie either.
Old 01-10-11, 10:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Well, DV was standard def resolution, whereas the iPhone takes HD, but obviously the image sensor isn't going to be as well developed on a phone as it will be on a DV camera.
Old 01-10-11, 10:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Well, DV was standard def resolution, whereas the iPhone takes HD, but obviously the image sensor isn't going to be as well developed on a phone as it will be on a DV camera.
Yeah, that's my thought as well.
I'm interested in this... but it's not going to look good at all.
Old 01-10-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Exactly.
Old 01-11-11, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lynch
Now if you're shooting the movie on a telephone, you will never in a trillion years capture the film. You'll think you have captured it, but you'll be cheated. It's such a sadness, that you think you've shot a film on your fucking telephone. Get real.
Eh, it's just an experiment. This isn't going to take over or anything.
Old 01-11-11, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm all for it. It's his own way of encouraging aspiring filmmakers to try out new way's to make inexpensive movies, and it's a neat experiment to boot.

I only wish I could see it now.
Old 01-11-11, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by GenPion
I'm all for it. It's his own way of encouraging aspiring filmmakers to try out new way's to make inexpensive movies, and it's a neat experiment to boot.

This.
Old 01-11-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I'm all for it. It's his own way of encouraging aspiring filmmakers to try out new way's to make inexpensive movies,
But is ~130,000 really inexpensive for a 30 minute short? I dont' know that is why I am asking. To me that seems expensive since we have seen movies made for less turn out pretty good and actually make some decent box office.
Old 01-11-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by d2cheer
But is ~130,000 really inexpensive for a 30 minute short? I dont' know that is why I am asking. To me that seems expensive since we have seen movies made for less turn out pretty good and actually make some decent box office.
It's inexpensive for a director of Park Chan-wook's stature. It's not like he made the film with a couple of friends who went with little to no pay. However, it should still serve as something inspiring to those just starting off and wanting to find out new ways to experiment with the medium. I'm one of those people.
Old 01-11-11, 12:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds like it's a short, not a feature.
Old 01-11-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

He's one of my favorite directors in World cinema, so I will certainly give this a chance, but for those of you that might question the limitations of cell phone video, I have seen an incredibly good Radiohead concert movie that was shot by fans using cell phones The band provided them with the sound board mix, so audio wasn't a problem.
Old 01-11-11, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I disagree. The camera is only a small part of the filmmaking process. The real issue is the lighting set up and the grip. This film will only look like anybody can make it but in reality it will be far from an amateur project.
Old 01-13-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
It's possible some of it was, but I think the majority was shot with consumer video cameras. Because of how that film was put together the video quality was certainly uneven at times. I'm assuming this will look better at least.
Old 01-14-11, 12:12 PM

I'm sure that with whatever type of lens they ended up using along with professional lighting and post production, you wouldn't be able to tell much difference between it and any other movie. It doesn't sound like the movie is meant to be a pseudo-documentary that was filmed by one of the characters point of view, so I wouldn't expect YouTube quality visuals.
Old 01-14-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I disagree. The camera is only a small part of the filmmaking process. The real issue is the lighting set up and the grip. This film will only look like anybody can make it but in reality it will be far from an amateur project.
I don't disagree. I meant only to indicate that I feel it is the kind of experiment which many may find inspiring. I'm well aware that he won't be filming it at an amateur's level.
Old 01-18-11, 07:18 AM

A trailer and a behind-the-scenes look can be found at the link below, the movie is now called "Night Fishing"

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/23070
Old 01-18-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I don't care.
Old 01-18-11, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That teaser doesn't really convince me on seeing it.
Old 01-18-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Yeah I saw the teaser too and thought it was stupid.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.