DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Blood Meridian (D: Hillcoat) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/584169-blood-meridian-d-hillcoat.html)

Osiris3657 01-04-11 11:09 AM

Blood Meridian (D: Hillcoat)

"James Franco is currently attending school and is attached to no less than six projects, including a few based on books that he optioned. Now comes word that he has optioned two more books, which he plans to direct himself.

One of the films is based on the work of Cormac McCarthy, whose books "No Country For Old Men," "The Road" and "All the Pretty Horses" have all made it to the big screen. The novel is "Blood Meridian" and Franco is in the process of making a deal with producer Scott Rudin to write and direct the film in 2012.

Plot: Based on historical events that took place on the Texas-Mexico border in the 1850s, it traces the fortunes of the Kid, a fourteen-year-old Tennessean who stumbles into the nightmarish world where Indians are being murdered and the market for their scalps is thriving."

Read more: http://worstpreviews.com/headline.ph...#ixzz1A5TXHlEf

-----------------------------------

Would this be Franco's first directorial gig? I like him as an actor, especially after 127 Hours, but this seems like a tough project for a first timer.

printerati 01-04-11 11:28 AM

Re: Blood Meridian (2012) to be directed by James Franco

The other film that he will direct is based on William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying."
Either one would be a damn near impossible task for a first timer. I love both novels, so I am less than enthusiastic about this news.

sauce07 01-04-11 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 10572913)
Would this be Franco's first directorial gig? I like him as an actor, especially after 127 Hours, but this seems like a tough project for a first timer.

Franco has directed numerous shorts and just finished up another feature, The Broken Tower. With the creative roll this guy has been on, i'm interested in pretty much anything he does (minus Eat Pray Love)

riotinmyskull 01-04-11 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by printerati (Post 10572962)
Either one would be a damn near impossible task for a first timer. I love both novels, so I am less than enthusiastic about this news.

he's not a first timer....

http://i55.tinypic.com/15r1lc9.jpg

Geofferson 01-04-11 01:36 PM

Will be curious to see if he can pull this off -- the book is one of the most violent I've read.

Solid Snake 01-04-11 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07 (Post 10573006)
Franco has directed numerous shorts and just finished up another feature, The Broken Tower. With the creative roll this guy has been on, i'm interested in pretty much anything he does (minus Eat Pray Love)

every time I think of that...I remember this...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RqmX0SHI_Po?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RqmX0SHI_Po?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

AnonomusBob15 01-04-11 02:37 PM

was more excited when Todd Field was attached.

DonnachaOne 01-04-11 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15 (Post 10573323)

First thing I thought of too.

Mr. Cinema 01-04-11 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15 (Post 10573323)

I just finished the book recently and I knew Field was attached. Based on his previous work, I think he would certainly be up to the task of delivering a great adaptation.

But James Franco? For Blood Meridian?

Mr. Cinema 01-04-11 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson (Post 10573190)
Will be curious to see if he can pull this off -- the book is one of the most violent I've read.

Definitely agree here. There's an abundance of carnage in the book. Should be a challenge to get a R rating if they match the violent parts closely.

riotinmyskull 01-04-11 08:04 PM

apparently here's how he got the job:

Originally Posted by slashfilm
When it comes to Blood Meridian, the question of casting looms large. Who would play central character The Judge, who is an utter giant of an albino? Well, Franco was so determined to get the gig making the film that he shot some test footage to present to Scott Rudin. And in that footage he cast Mark Pellegrino, aka one of the rug pissers from The Big Lebowski, and Jacob from Lost. (Scott Glenn, Luke Perry and Dave Franco also appeared.) Note that this does not mean that those actors will necessarily be cast in the actual film, whatever happens.

Originally Posted by james franco
We made that as a way to convince Scott Rudin to give us the rights. It was like, why should he give it to me when Ridley Scott didn’t make it? So I called him up and said, ‘I’m planning on doing this. You don’t have to give me any money, I can finance this shoot. Would you just wait? Don’t do anything with it until I show this to you.’ And I showed it to him and he loved it.

PopcornTreeCt 01-04-11 09:18 PM

I wouldn't knock it. I doubt anyone thought Ben Affleck would turn out to be a good director.

RagingBull80 01-04-11 09:31 PM

I'd love to see that footage.

Nefarious 01-04-11 09:38 PM

I'll watch it. Loved the book and it can't be any worse adaptation than what Thornton did with All the Pretty Horses.

gmanca 01-04-11 09:43 PM

I thought All the Pretty Horses was an average movie that with the additional footage would have been pretty good. The look and score were excellent.

Nefarious 01-04-11 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by gmanca (Post 10573989)
I thought All the Pretty Horses was an average movie that with the additional footage would have been pretty good. The look and score were excellent.

That's the thing. It was just very average and just seemed to lose some of the life that the book had. I like Matt Damon but he wasn't right for the part. I thought both No Country & The Road were great adaptations.

gmanca 01-04-11 10:04 PM

I guess it could be said he failed because he tried to film the entire book as opposed to the essential story but with the different turns that the current film version takes, I don't know how you could cut them from the story as they build Damon's character through the journey. If anything, it needed more story and that's why I give him an incomplete based on the Weinsteins' editing issues.

Quatermass 01-06-11 10:30 AM

As they said, it may not ever come to fruition, but Franco has surprised me as an actor several times, so it will be interesting to see what develops. I heard that Tommy Lee Jones tried for several years to get the film made. No matter who does it and no matter how good it is, I'm sure it will seem deficient.

As for Judge Holden, I think the professional wrestler Kane (Glen Thomas Jacobs) would be a good choice.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Smackdown.png

geekster81 01-17-11 08:21 PM

Ahh!! This is great news! I love James Franco, and Blood Meridian is a terrific book—I just read it for the first time a few weeks ago and only heard about it after The Road came out. If it's as good as No Country For Old Man, I'm going to have to petition that they just drop everything and make all three of The Borders Trilogy books into films ASAP!

TimeandTide 07-31-11 11:08 PM

Just finished the book and have serious doubts about Franco's ability to pull off an adaptation. The book is ridiculously violent for one, and two, McCarthy's prose is what makes Meridian so incredible a read. I really enjoyed the adaptation of McCarthy's The Road as the setting and tone were pretty much spot-on, but the beauty of the writing didn't translate at all. But because it's a much slimmer volume, I was happy that they at least got the grim setting and the desperation of the father right. BM is long and complex (the settings are wildly varied) and entirely grotesque with a cast of characters you spend the novel rooting against. Adapting this is an impossible task, IMO.

Originally Posted by Quartermass
As for Judge Holden, I think the professional wrestler Kane (Glen Thomas Jacobs) would be a good choice.

For the look, sure, but that role will take some serious acting chops to counter how absurd he looks (hairless and mostly naked for most of the story). It's like Kurtz on steroids.

Quatermass 08-01-11 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide (Post 10874048)

For the look, sure, but that role will take some serious acting chops to counter how absurd he looks (hairless and mostly naked for most of the story). It's like Kurtz on steroids.

Well, he IS a professional wrestler...
;)

TheMovieman 05-05-16 12:31 PM

James Franco, Russell Crowe, IM Global team on Scott Rudin's 'Blood Meridian'

IM Global will launch international sales on the Croisette on Blood Meridian and is co-financing the project, while CAA represents US rights.

James Franco will direct and star alongside Russell Crowe, Tye Sheridan, Ryan Reynolds and Vincent D’Onofrio. Further casting attachments are anticipated.

Like Rudin, who steered the McCarthy adaptation No Country For Old Men to worldwide success, Franco is a devout McCarthy fan.

Franco wooed Blood Meridian rights-holder Rudin years ago with test footage but there was no deal, so he headed off to shoot McCarthy adaptation Child Of God instead.

Now it would appear the younger man’s tenacity has prevailed and the project will proceed. Rudin will produce alongside Cassian Elwes and Franco’s partner at Rabbit Bandini, Vince Jolivette.

Blood Meridian, published in 1985, follows a young character known only as “the Kid” and his encounters in the mid-19th Century West with a violent group of scalp hunters known as the Glanton Gang.

The renowned literary critic Harold Bloom once described the book as “the ultimate Western.”

IM Global declined to comment on the project.
http://www.screendaily.com/festivals...ontentID=40562

TheMovieman 05-05-16 04:10 PM

re: Blood Meridian (D: Hillcoat)

Well, so much for that...

Russell Crowe's 'Blood Meridian' Deal Falls Apart Over Book Rights Issue

The project is now being shelved because the filmmakers didn't have the rights to the novel.

The splashy Cannes package Blood Meridian has fallen apart.

Though Russell Crowe had been in talks to star in James Franco's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian, all of the deals are off because the filmmakers didn't have the rights to the novel.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...eridian-891007

Solid Snake 05-05-16 04:22 PM

Soooooooo... they didn't have the rights at all? And just now this is an issue?

dex14 05-05-16 04:36 PM

This isn't the first time Franco has done this. He had the rights to Bukowski's Ham on Rye...was writing it...lost the rights...made the film anyway. And now it is just sitting on the shelf.