Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Richard Gere almost ruined the end of my favorite film - "An Officer And A Gentleman"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Richard Gere almost ruined the end of my favorite film - "An Officer And A Gentleman"

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He begged director Taylor Hackford not to use the ending that did make it to the final cut of the film, but Gere was overruled.

I mean, that's one tear-inducing scene if I ever saw it - when Zack Mayo parades into the paper factory to sweep up his girl, to a ring of applause from both the bitter and the sweet. A fine moment.
Old 12-28-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Richard Gere almost ruined the end of my favorite film - "An Officer And A Gentle

What ending did he want?
Old 12-28-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Richard Gere almost ruined the end of my favorite film - "An Officer And A Gentle

Surprised he cared. The guy even admitted he only did it for the paycheck.
Old 12-28-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole
What ending did he want?
God only knows.
Old 12-28-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never seen it, but I'm assuming that's what Simpsons parodied way back in Season 1, eh?
Old 12-28-10, 10:53 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

What ending did he want?
a 30 minute extended gerbil felching sequence set to the dulcet tones of Edith Piaf.
Old 12-28-10, 10:53 AM
Banned

What ending did he want?
Nothing drastically different, he just thought him walking into the factory in his whites and sweeping Paula would look cheesy. Funny thing is Hackford agreed until he saw the dailies and played it to the song. Gere later said he loved the scene.
Old 12-28-10, 10:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
He begged director Taylor Hackford not to use the ending that did make it to the final cut of the film, but Gere was overruled.
[citation needed]
Old 12-28-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
[citation needed]
It's a Buttmunker thread. That's citation enough.
Old 12-28-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
[citation needed]
The director mentions it in his commentary. Go listen.
Old 12-28-10, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
The director mentions it in his commentary. Go listen.
well cuz I won't watch the film cuz it doesn't fit my interest to do so..it only leads to ask this:

What ending did he want?
again...wtf did Gere want?
Old 12-28-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
well cuz I won't watch the film cuz it doesn't fit my interest to do so..it only leads to ask this:

again...wtf did Gere want?
I don't think it was mentioned. All we know is that Gere didn't want that ending.
Old 12-28-10, 03:36 PM
Banned

ok....time to search the internet...
Old 12-28-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

He wanted the ending where he shoves a hamster up his ass.
Old 12-28-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, what?
Old 12-28-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I'm sure actors' suggestions get overruled all the time.
Old 12-28-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
ok....time to search the internet...
well, if you wont watch the film because it doesn't "fit your interest", then why do you care?
Old 12-28-10, 05:51 PM

Your favorite film is "An Officer and a Gentleman"?
Old 12-28-10, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

You know... whoever Gere pissed off enough to kickstart the Gerbil Rumor Agenda... either Gere did something ungodly awful that excruciatingly abides the telling, or the dude he pissed off just happened to be the World's Biggest Shitcock. Either way, well played.
Old 12-28-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I heard it was Sylvester Stallone who started up that whole gerbil rumor way back when.

The one part I heard was cut out of the movie was when Richard Gere's dad was there at his graduation and the part where he tells his buddies that he was going to get his first salute - was from his dad, but instead it cuts to when he goes to Foley to get saluted and to give the sterling silver dollar to.
Old 12-28-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You know... whoever Gere pissed off enough to kickstart the Gerbil Rumor Agenda... either Gere did something ungodly awful that excruciatingly abides the telling, or the dude he pissed off just happened to be the World's Biggest Shitcock. Either way, well played.
Any relation to dickbutt?

Old 12-28-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
well, if you wont watch the film because it doesn't "fit your interest", then why do you care?
Snake has a tendency to comment in threads about things he has no interest in.

On topic, this from Wikipedia:

Ending

Richard Gere balked at shooting the ending of the film, in which Zack arrives at Paula's factory wearing his naval dress whites and carries her off the factory floor. Gere thought the ending wouldn't work because it was too sentimental. Director Taylor Hackford agreed with Gere until, during a rehearsal, the extras playing the workers began to cheer and cry. When Gere saw the scene later, with the music underneath it ("Up Where We Belong") at the right tempo, he said it gave him chills. Gere is now convinced Hackford made the right decision. [3] Screenwriter Michael Hauge, in his book Writing Screenplays That Sell, echoed this opinion: "I don't believe that those who criticized this Cinderella-style ending were paying very close attention to who exactly is rescuing whom."
Old 12-29-10, 12:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
cuz...this thread got my interest? I'm not a fan of Gere, nothing against him just...his flicks for some reason haven't fallen into my must see list...except for Days of Heaven...but...that's more Malick than anything else.

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Snake has a tendency to comment in threads about things he has no interest in.

On topic, this from Wikipedia:
maybe the source of the topic doesn't catch my interest...but the topic does at least.