DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Wars PT vs. Matrix II and III: which was the bigger failure (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/583884-star-wars-pt-vs-matrix-ii-iii-bigger-failure.html)

Dr. DVD 12-27-10 08:36 PM

Star Wars PT vs. Matrix II and III: which was the bigger failure

In terms of how people will remember them in pop culture?

I think the thread title says it all.

DarthVong 12-27-10 08:39 PM

Re: Star Wars PT vs. Matrix II and III: which was the bigger failure

There was a lot more hype and fan-base for the SWPT. Based on that I would say the SWPT didn't live up to expectations. However I would think that the SWPT made more profits. Just a guess on that I don't have the actual Box Office in front of me. LOL

Mr. Flix 12-27-10 08:39 PM

The Matrix sequels were a disappointing misstep after a very promising start, but I never questioned the filmmakers' sanity, nor cringed at the acting or dialogue.

Can't say the same for the Star Wars prequels.

SkinJob 12-27-10 08:55 PM

The Prequels, obviously. Lucas had well over a decade to think about how he was going to make the new set of films. That they suck so much is just flat-out unforgivable.

resinrats 12-27-10 09:06 PM

Which franchise is still going strong? Oh wait, that's Star Wars. What is Star Wars' main focus media wise..Clone Wars AKA PT. When was the last time you saw ANYTHING related to the Matrix?

I think we know what was a bigger failure.

mndtrp 12-27-10 09:12 PM

I don't think Matrix was intended to continue on after the movies, while Star Wars is pretty much Lucas' whore.

I wasn't a big fan of the OT, and I still felt extremely let down with the PT.

Boba Fett 12-27-10 10:18 PM

Matrix crammed all of its story in the third film. If it were more evenly spread to the second, people would have been much more satisfied with the result.

The prequels are guilty of the same, with Phantom Menace amounting to very little aside from an overbuilt setting that wasn't used effectively in the following films, Attack of the Clones was a pure, mindless action film, and only Revenge of the Sith bothering to tell the story the fans wanted.

I will say I find less wrong with Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions than I do with the prequels, despite enjoying both series'

Double_Oh_7 12-28-10 07:56 AM

Star Wars. There was building anticipation over 16 years, making them an epic fail.

Superboy 12-28-10 08:13 AM

Star Wars. No one continues to make jokes about how bad the Matrix films were, but the PT will always live on for comedic fodder.

Sean O'Hara 12-28-10 09:49 AM

Finally, a question the Matrix can win. Just on acting alone, the Matrix films take it -- this may be the only time in history when someone can say, "Keanu Reeves is a better actor," but compared to the lumber pile of the prequels, he's frickin' Olivier.

islandclaws 12-28-10 10:07 AM

Star Wars, no question.

Lucas had almost 2 decades to write the most potentially awesome movies ever, and he completely fucking failed in almost every repsect.

Lateralus 12-28-10 12:29 PM

I don't think any of them were a failure, most people enjoyed the movies and moved on. As for popular culture Star Wars wins (in the good way) hands down, I mean I can't tell you how many of my Facebook friends who have kids have all gotten Star Wars stuff and what no movies were released since 2005? Yeah the Star Wars Prequels may not have been that good but the younger generation still loves them!

orangecrush 12-28-10 12:40 PM

In terms of popular culture, Star Wars wins in a landslide. What is the Matrix's Jar Jar?

Supermallet 12-28-10 12:42 PM

Revenge of the Sith is single-handedly better than either Matrix prequel, but Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are arguably worse.

Talkin2Phil 12-28-10 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Superboy (Post 10562874)
No one continues to make jokes about how bad the Matrix films were,

Groucho does

PhantomStranger 12-28-10 01:17 PM

There was always the possibility that the prequels would turn out bad. The Matrix sequels took a great story from the first film and mangled it beyond recognition. So they ended up being bigger disappointments. Who really thought Lucas was going to be able to create another trilogy on par with the most popular franchise in movie history?

Supermallet 12-28-10 01:58 PM

Everyone and their mother, iirc.

DarthVong 12-28-10 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10563018)
Star Wars, no question.

Lucas had almost 2 decades to write the most potentially awesome movies ever, and he completely fucking failed in almost every repsect.

I don't agree with that. Yes, the dialogue sucked and the plot was convoluted as hell. But some great things were in the prequels.

I just can't think of anything atm. lol

Mike86 12-28-10 03:37 PM

I was never the hugest fan of the original Star Wars trilogy to begin with but my feeling (and I'm sure many other people's as well) is that the whole prequel trilogy or at least the part that most people cared about could have been summed up in one movie. The only movie of the three I enjoyed to some degree was Revenge of the Sith. Plus the other thing I hated was how they basically made Anakin/Darth Vader into a tragic figure by showing us his rise and fall. I enjoyed the sort of mystique of the character in the original trilogy more.

The Matrix on the other hand I liked but not so much so that I was bothered that the sequels weren't as good.

Solid Snake 12-28-10 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10563468)
Everyone and their mother, iirc.

this....

modfather 12-28-10 03:45 PM

I mistakenly chose Matrix. But the more I think about it, a Giant Douche is WAY cooler than a Turd Sandwich...

The Cow 12-28-10 04:04 PM

Matrix.

I doubt I will ever watch those again. I'll watch the Star Wars prequels again.

Both will be remembered as disappointments, though.

huh? 12-28-10 04:21 PM

Matrix by far. The PT is not as good for fans of the originals, but I know lots of kids that enjoy watching the PT (my nephew loves them for example, he's 12). I don't think anyone, of any age, likes the Matrix sequals.

Dr. DVD 12-28-10 04:26 PM

For clarification, I mean which set of sequels will be remembered as an "epic fail" moreso than the other. Not which one will pop culture remember more fondly. In short, which will have been the butt of more jokes when all is said and done.

Super X 12-28-10 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 10563748)
For clarification, I mean which set of sequels will be remembered as an "epic fail" moreso than the other. Not which one will pop culture remember more fondly. In short, which will have been the butt of more jokes when all is said and done.

While I personally think the Matrix sequels are a bigger failure compared to the original than the Star Wars prequels are, by the criteria you've just stated, I'd have to say that the Star Wars prequels will be more likely to be remembered as an "epic fail", principally because I don't think too many people are going to remember much about the Matrix sequels. I saw both in the theatres and don't remember too much about them beyond the feeling of utter disappointment.