Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hanna (2011, D: Joe Wright) S: Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hanna (2011, D: Joe Wright) S: Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Hanna (2011, D: Joe Wright) S: Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett

Regarding the score, Sony Classical has finally released this in a physical CD format. I, for one, don't like downloading and prefer the physical product. Might be difficult to find in most chain stores, but you can pick it up easily enough from online etailers.
Old 09-18-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this recently and was thoroughly entertained. Would've been nice on the big screen. It's what I'd call a "solid actioner": doesn't break a whole lot of new ground, but it's very entertaining and well made.

One of the best scores in years, too.
Old 09-18-11, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Saw this recently and was thoroughly entertained. Would've been nice on the big screen. It's what I'd call a "solid actioner": doesn't break a whole lot of new ground, but it's very entertaining and well made.

One of the best scores in years, too.
Agree. I saw this in a super tiny theater with terrible sound. It looked and sounded great on my 60" TV with my kick ass home sound system.
Old 10-10-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by filmerp
Was I the only one thoroughly confused by camera placement during the 'sleepover' conversation scene between the two young girls? When they intercut between the two angles, they were both lying on the left cheek facing camera right. Seems like an amateur gaff. Otherwise, solid and beautiful film.
I was confused by the camera placement, too. I had to try to look at it from outside the camera views, and the only thing I could come up with was they were lying with their feet pointing opposite ways...kind of a 69, but meeting at the faces. Anywho...

I liked the film a lot, too, but by the end I was left trying to figure out just what the hell had happened. Still not completely sure what Hanna's or Erik's stories were, and why Marissa seemed so hell-bent on finding them. If they explained it, it must have been in weird places that you didn't have time to gather yourself to pay attention to, or just bad storytelling. I don't know. Guess I'll have to watch it again to figure it out.

EDIT: Okay, I read the plot in a little more detail online. Makes sense now.

By the way, I noticed the rating at the beginning of the movie indicated it had "some sexual material". Where was that?

Last edited by The Infidel; 10-10-11 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by brizz
saw it tonight and loved it. Beautifully shot and the score is phenomenal. A movie that proves you can have character development and action all while not insulting your viewer....a rare animal indeed.
++++

I finally watched it yesterday afternoon and I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Old 11-15-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've watched it twice now, and I really like this film.

This is great film making.

Saoirse Ronan is such a talent.
Old 11-15-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This one went on my Christmas list. I wouldn't mind putting this on the shelf
Old 12-15-11, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I expected more, given all the love this movie seems to get in this thread. It was ok, but I found it downright boring at times. I expected more action. Some of the singing/dancing gypsy sequences are longer than the fight sequences.

I did enjoy the soundtrack though, as I generally enjoy the Chemical Brothers music.
Old 12-15-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

This movie was so different from any other so called "Mainstream" hyped film in quite some time. I honestly had no interest in seeing it when it was being hyped to no end but a co-worker of mine who has similar tastes kept saying that I HAVE to see it - glad I did, I really loved this flick - it worked on all levels - even though that
Spoiler:
Chase at the end
seemed to be a bit goofy....after thinking about it I thought it was excellent how
Spoiler:
The woman already knew she was going to be killed
- really dug this one and recommend picking it up.
Old 12-16-11, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this on a plane coming back from Europe and I wish that wasn't my first experience of the film. Bought it on blu recently and I really enjoyed it even more because I wasn't watching it on a mini screen seven inches away from my face with headphones.

It's short, tightly-paced and relentless (yet there are some great, tender moments sprinkled throughout - the kiss scene is one of my favorites of the year).
Old 02-15-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I watched this again in preparation for the upcoming Amazon series and it's still pretty damn awesome. The soundtrack rocks (Chemical Brothers), the actors are great, and it gets away with a good amount of blood and violence for a PG-13 movie. It also ends with a bang and leaves it open for a sequel, which I guess isn't coming. Hopefully the Amazon series is even half as good as this was.
Old 02-15-19, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Shouldn't the thread title be updated to include the actual star of the movie?
Old 02-15-19, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I watched this again in preparation for the upcoming Amazon series and it's still pretty damn awesome. The soundtrack rocks (Chemical Brothers), the actors are great, and it gets away with a good amount of blood and violence for a PG-13 movie. It also ends with a bang and leaves it open for a sequel, which I guess isn't coming. Hopefully the Amazon series is even half as good as this was.
The Amazon series, I don't think, is rated PG-13. The first episode had tons of violence, etc.
Old 02-16-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
The first episode was pretty good, but I still miss the Chemical Brothers.