Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sweden's epic sci-fi superhero film KENNY STARFIGHTER: KENNY BEGINS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WYG0sSPVC5A?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WYG0sSPVC5A?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Shouldn't this film be nominated for best foreign film instead of those Dragan Tatoo movies?

Old 12-21-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Sweden's epic sci-fi superhero film KENNY STARFIGHTER: KENNY BEGINS

No Kenny Powers? No sale.
Old 12-21-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man, if this works we might get that Laser Cats adaptation we've all been dying for.
Old 12-21-10, 05:31 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It's like Sweden's answer to The Fifth Element. And that's not a compliment.

I don't have sound, but that looks increadibly UN-funny. I never understood why Europeans had such shitty senses of humor, but someone explained it to me recently. Not enough Jews. They persecuted the funniest people! Between the Jews and American black humor, America is the funniest country by a wide margin.
Old 12-22-10, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It's like Sweden's answer to The Fifth Element. And that's not a compliment.

I don't have sound, but that looks increadibly UN-funny. I never understood why Europeans had such shitty senses of humor, but someone explained it to me recently. Not enough Jews. They persecuted the funniest people! Between the Jews and American black humor, America is the funniest country by a wide margin.
Great Britain is part of Europe. You hate British humor too?
Old 12-22-10, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gunde
Great Britain is part of Europe. You hate British humor too?
British comedy is vastly over rated and good quality is few and far between. For every Life of Brian there's a Full Monty or a Calendar Girls. For every Vicar of Dibly there's ten tiresome Mr. Bean Goes to Mars pieces of shit that stopped being funny 20 years ago. For every Eddy Izzard there's 20 Russell Brands. (Which also raises the issue that England and Europe as a whole really don't have any tradition of stand up.) And the English as a whole (not their entertainers, just the everyday folks) are a very un-funny people on a level with Germany. Just because they've turned out a few Michael Palin's doesn't put them in league with the USA.

And just the casually funny stuff fails, take Top Gear: I love that show, it’s not a comedy show, but it has comical repartee and bits, and those hosts think they are funny, and the audience chortles right along with them. That shit would never fly in America, it's fully bush league. The guy on The Soup is funnier. The idiot "journalists" on TMZ who drink coffee through straws make funnier repartee.

It really comes down to the ratio of good to bad. Yes Faulty Towers is the best comedy show ever on television, but it only ran for 12 episodes while Are You Being Served? ran for 12 fucking years. You don't see that severe a ratio of good to bad in the USA. We've got guys funnier than Are You Being Served? at every comedy club in every city working for $100 bucks a show.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-22-10 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, Arrested Development was the best comedy show ever on television.
Old 12-23-10, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like they "borrowed" the font used for the Starlog masthead.
Old 12-23-10, 01:00 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To be correct, Fawlty Towers was the best sitcom ever on television. Monty Python's Flying Circus is the best comedy show ever on television.

And I don't really get Mabuse's argument. So because the Brits have some bad humor, we should discount the good humor? Should we forget about Richard Pryor because we also have Larry The Cable Guy?
Old 12-23-10, 10:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
To be correct, Fawlty Towers was the best sitcom ever on television. Monty Python's Flying Circus is the best comedy show ever on television.

And I don't really get Mabuse's argument. So because the Brits have some bad humor, we should discount the good humor? Should we forget about Richard Pryor because we also have Larry The Cable Guy?
I'm just saying they're very overrated. Some people even feel British humor is superior to American humor. We have a rich tradition of comedy; they have a dripping faucet of occasional funny from a mere dozen individuals over the last 50 years.
Old 12-23-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

A big part of it is their sitcoms are generally much funnier than American ones which go broad and wait for applause. We have plenty of great comedies too, don't get me wrong, but much of the popular stuff is so painfully bad that we've got to be coming off the same way over there. I'm curious what they think of that Chuck Lorre garbage.