DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   SyFy to go into the movie-making business. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/583475-syfy-go-into-movie-making-business.html)

Panda Phil 12-15-10 04:13 PM

SyFy to go into the movie-making business.

I hope this isn't old news.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/univ...th-syfy-films/

FTFA:

"The hope is to leverage Syfy's genre experience in science fiction, fantasy, supernatural and horror...Joining together to find moderately budgeted projects that we can develop using their expertise and their brand is a great opportunity for both of our companies."

Translation:

i.e. "We'll make shitloads of money by cranking out loads of crappy expoitation flicks that'll cost us about $2000 to make."

kd5 12-15-10 04:24 PM

Re: SyFy to go into the movie-making business.

Originally Posted by Panda Phil (Post 10545959)
Translation:

i.e. "We'll make shitloads of money by cranking out loads of crappy expoitation flicks that'll cost us about $2000 to make."

Sounds about right.

The plan is to begin generating two movies per year by 2012.
Yeah, and each one will be filled with substandard computer generated special effects done on a 486 running Windows 95. Scripts will be put together by the 5th grade class from the school of your choice, actors/actresses will be chosen from the crowd at the Spring Break festivities at Daytona Beach. They'll be just fabulous...;) -kd5-

PopcornTreeCt 12-15-10 04:26 PM

Don't they already do that with their made-for-tv flicks?

islandclaws 12-15-10 05:35 PM

Somewhere, Casper Van Dien is sipping champagne and smiling.

DarthVong 12-15-10 05:46 PM

Looking forward to Lake Placid Pt.35! BRING IT!

BJacks 12-15-10 05:47 PM

If this means "Mega Shark vs. Giant Rhino" and "Yeti Part 6" get theatrical releases, I'm all for it.

calhoun07 12-15-10 08:10 PM

I have never understood why basic cable channels like AMC, TNT, FX and others can churn out quality TV and SyFy continues to churn out crap that is even worse than most direct to video releases.

BJacks 12-15-10 08:32 PM

SyFy has had some good programs. Battlestar Galactica was fantastic and Eureka is pretty good. I have no interest in Ghost Hunters and Warehouse 13 but apparently they get a ton of viewers (for whatever reason).

It's worth noting that those bizarre creature movies that air on the channel aren't made by SyFy. Most of them are from The Asylum.

Kevin M. Dean 12-15-10 10:08 PM

The vast majority, if no all of the movies on SyFy are not made in any way by SyFy. They just buy them on the cheap for airing. SyFy has only produced multiple series and a few mini-series per year.

JJE-187 12-15-10 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by BJacks (Post 10546269)
It's worth noting that those bizarre creature movies that air on the channel aren't made by SyFy. Most of them are from The Asylum.

UFO/Nu Image or Roger Corman does most of the junk SyFy airs. Chiller actually airs more Asylum stuff than SyFy does now.

fitprod 12-16-10 02:45 AM

FTFA:

"The hope is to leverage Syfy's genre experience in science fiction, fantasy, supernatural and horror...Joining together to find moderately budgeted projects that we can develop using their expertise and their brand is a great opportunity for both of our companies."

Translation:

"We already lost Rogue Pictures, which we used as a shell company to dump profits, and claim a loss. We need somewhere else to dump the cash."

fitprod

E. Honda 12-16-10 05:26 AM

Goodie. More crap for RedBox to put in their kiosks.

Charlie Goose 12-16-10 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10546065)
Somewhere, Casper Van Dien is sipping champagne and smiling.

And Lance Henriksen just lit a celebratory cigar. :)

I always thought those crappy flicks were produced by SyFy too. It was interesting to see how many different types of monsters or world threats they could do, from ants right up to black holes in the middle of the city.

chuckd21 12-16-10 08:13 AM

Eric Roberts and the lesser Baldwins know they'll be working at least twice a year now.

raven56706 12-16-10 09:01 AM

Stephen Baldwin and Elizabeth Shue star in MEGADOG...Even Vick cant put this dog down

Goldberg74 12-16-10 09:25 AM

Matt Frewer is dancing somewhere right now.

majorjoe23 12-16-10 11:42 AM

(C-level actor) is (doing something celebratory) right now.

GenPion 12-16-10 11:48 AM

SyFy is aware that they have a bad rep with people, right?

Of course, is this means a BSG film on the big screen (taking place during the series with our beloved characters) I'd be game.

calhoun07 12-16-10 06:19 PM

(forgotten 80's pop star) is (calling their agent right now) right now.

Don't forget the co-star!

Charlie Goose 12-16-10 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 10547097)
(C-level actor) is (doing something celebratory) right now.

Either fill in the blanks, or get off of our cloud!

JoshuaSokolov 12-17-10 09:46 AM

Hey, if it results in more "creative masterpieces" like Sharktopus, I'm game...

... drinking game, that is.

Ash Ketchum 12-17-10 09:59 AM

Will Debbie Gibson get a nude scene out of all this? Or at least one in lingerie on all fours to make Toddly6666 happy?

brainee 12-17-10 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706 (Post 10546806)
Stephen Baldwin and Elizabeth Shue star in MEGADOG...Even Vick cant put this dog down

I got excited for a moment and went to imdb to look up the details ... only to find you made that one up :sad:

gmanca 12-17-10 12:44 PM

It wouldn't be a proper SyFy feature without the in-movie pop-up promos for the new Domino's Fudgems treats.

mike45 12-17-10 12:52 PM

They have canceled Caprica. Now they have canceled Stargate Univese.