Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TCM's History of Hollywood

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-14-10, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone on DVD Talk been checking this out? Obviously to be on this forum one should be a fan of the cinematic world, and I am no exception. I am a fan of just about all genres of film, whether they be comedy, drama, musical or even musical dramedies lol.

As I have mentioned in some of my previous posts, I work for a marketing company and we recently picked up a campaign for TCM's ongoing series of documentaries, Moguls and Moviestars - The History of Hollywood.

The 7 part series explores the Movie Dynasty, from it's conception, to the ups and downs of creating the film industry we have today. Each installment features rare footage, and photographs of the people that started it all. Also interviews with distinguished historians and major Hollywood figures: Sidney Lumet, Richard Zanuck,and Samuel Goldwyn Jr., just to name a few.

The series of Documentaries have been narrated by Christopher Plummer, award winning actor, and each documentary has been followed by the respective film that represents each Hollywood era, from 1890's silent movie to Peepshow Pioneers, the birth of the Hollywood Sign, to Fade-in, Fade-Out of the 1970's.

Any others on DVD Talk who have been checking this out? It's great for those who want to know more about the genre, from it's inception to it's current state.

To check out the site here is the link:
History of Hollywood
Old 12-14-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 198 Likes on 148 Posts
Re: TCM's History of Hollywood

Originally Posted by Laughoutloud View Post
Has anyone on DVD Talk been checking this out? Obviously to be on this forum one should be a fan of the cinematic world, and I am no exception. I am a fan of just about all genres of film, whether they be comedy, drama, musical or even musical dramedies lol.

As I have mentioned in some of my previous posts, I work for a marketing company and we recently picked up a campaign for TCM's ongoing series of documentaries, Moguls and Moviestars - The History of Hollywood.

The 7 part series explores the Movie Dynasty, from it's conception, to the ups and downs of creating the film industry we have today. Each installment features rare footage, and photographs of the people that started it all. Also interviews with distinguished historians and major Hollywood figures: Sidney Lumet, Richard Zanuck,and Samuel Goldwyn Jr., just to name a few.

The series of Documentaries have been narrated by Christopher Plummer, award winning actor, and each documentary has been followed by the respective film that represents each Hollywood era, from 1890's silent movie to Peepshow Pioneers, the birth of the Hollywood Sign, to Fade-in, Fade-Out of the 1970's.

Any others on DVD Talk who have been checking this out? It's great for those who want to know more about the genre, from it's inception to it's current state.

To check out the site here is the link:
History of Hollywood
Getting the people on this board to watch this documentary series would be nice, but I'd be a lot happier if they were actually watching the original movies that prompted this series.
Old 12-14-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I made a thread about it on the TV Talk forum

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/580...1-01-10-a.html

A couple people have been watching it, I haven't been able to yet, but really want to. I'd like a BD release!
Old 12-14-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've watched it twice.

Good stuff.
Old 12-14-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been keeping up with it, and really enjoy it so far.
Old 12-14-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

I've seen up to Episode 3 but haven't had time to watch the rest. From what I've seen so far, I've really enjoyed it.
Old 12-14-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I caught the last three epsiodes, but missed the first four. Someone post an update here if they come back around.
Old 12-14-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 998 Likes on 722 Posts

Are they going to show the series again? If not, I'll have to wait for a possible blu-ray release.
Old 12-15-10, 07:55 AM

I watched all the episodes. I found the first 2 the most interesting. After that, summing up what was going on in the sound era was something I knew about from other sources, so it wasn't as interesting to me.
Old 12-15-10, 09:47 AM

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Are they going to show the series again? If not, I'll have to wait for a possible blu-ray release.
I'm hoping TCM does a marathon of the entire series at some point (not aware of anything yet though).
Old 12-15-10, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
I'm hoping TCM does a marathon of the entire series at some point (not aware of anything yet though).
Me too. I missed the first two episodes (partly because I forgot it was going to be on. Changing satelite providers didn't help either). I wish I could watch them some how.

The other five were very good though. I would love to see them make other episodes about everything thing that came after 1969, but I think that will probably be the basis for a sequel miniseries.
Old 12-15-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Getting the people on this board to watch this documentary series would be nice, but I'd be a lot happier if they were actually watching the original movies that prompted this series.
It helped that TCM showed certain movies that were being discussed in the series afterwards. Among the ones I watched for the first time:

Life of an American Fireman
Traffic in Souls
Within Our Gates
The Poor Little Rich Girl
The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
(Fantastic score provided for this print)
Flesh and the Devil

Bummer that I missed out on:
The Hoodlum
It
(Clara Bow)
Show People

As already mentioned, great series. It was fascinating to hear so much about the EARLY years of movie-making and movie-going. Too bad Bogdanovich didn't get a lot more time in the series though. I could listen to him do impressions all day.
Old 12-16-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
Me too. I missed most of the first one, and I think I might've missed part of one of the later ones (I know I haven't watched the latest one yet).

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
It helped that TCM showed certain movies that were being discussed in the series afterwards. Among the ones I watched for the first time:

Life of an American Fireman
Traffic in Souls
Within Our Gates
The Poor Little Rich Girl
The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
(Fantastic score provided for this print)
Flesh and the Devil

Bummer that I missed out on:
The Hoodlum
It
(Clara Bow)
Show People
I loved it when they were showing all those silent films last month. I saw (and recorded) several films that were new-to-me.