DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   AFIs Top 10 of 2010 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/583365-afis-top-10-2010-a.html)

RichC2 12-12-10 04:45 PM

2010 - 2011 Movie Award Season Thread

Until another Oscar thread gets made, here's another thought provoking* top 10!

LOS ANGELES, December 12, 2010 – American Film Institute (AFI) today announcedthe official selections of AFI AWARDS 2010, AFI’s almanac that records the year’smost outstanding achievements in film, television, and other forms of the moving image arts. AFI AWARDS is the only recognition that honors the community’s creative ensembles as a whole, acknowledging the collaborative nature of the art form. Honorees areselected based on works which best advance the art of the moving image; enhance therich cultural heritage of America's art form; inspire audiences and artists alike; and/ormake a mark on American society:

AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR
BLACK SWAN
THE FIGHTER
INCEPTION
THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT
127 HOURS
THE SOCIAL NETWORK
THE TOWN
TOY STORY 3
TRUE GRIT
WINTER'S BONE

AFI TV PROGRAMS OF THE YEAR
THE BIG C
BOARDWALK EMPIRE
BREAKING BAD
GLEE
MAD MEN
MODERN FAMILY
THE PACIFIC
TEMPLE GRANDIN
30 ROCK
THE WALKING DEAD

AFI SPECIAL AWARDS
THE KING'S SPEECH
WAITING FOR SUPERMAN

AFI AWARDS 2010 selections are made through AFI’s unique jury process in which scholars, film and television artists, critics and AFI Trustees determine the most outstanding achievements of the year, as well as provide a detailed rationale foreach selection. AFI SPECIAL AWARDS are given to outstanding achievements in themoving image that do not fit into AFI’s criteria for the other honorees: Feature-Length Motion Picture Narrative fiction format, over 60 minutes in length; American Motion picture with significant creative and/or production elements from theUnited States. The motion picture need not be presented in the Englishlanguage if it is incontrovertibly American; Theatrically-ReleasedMotion pictures originally released between January 1 and December 31,2010, which have been publicly exhibited in a commercial theater in Los Angeles for paid admission and screened for at least seven consecutive days.

AFI will honor the creative ensembles for each of the selections at a luncheon sponsored by Hewlett-Packard on Friday, January 14, 2011 at the Four Seasons Hotelin Los Angeles.
* or not.

That top 10 is probably close to what the oscar nominations will be for best picture. Most seem to belong, though I'd argue Toy Story 3 does not (just wasn't a fan.) :up: to Modern Family, 30 Rock and Breaking Bad being on the TV list.

Travis McClain 12-12-10 05:13 PM

Re: AFIs Top 10 of 2010

I'd been waiting to see what this year's selections would be. It seems that in the last few years, they've been less eclectic than they once were. Perhaps it's a sign that more interesting movies are becoming mainstream than the snobs would like to believe or admit?

It does kill me anytime I see movies that haven't had a wide release yet appear on a "best of" list, though. Not because I object to not having had the chance to see it and decide for myself, of course; I figure there are countless movies I haven't seen whether I had the chance or not, so I'm incapable of really making that kind of choice. Rather, my problem is that I always wonder how many times a movie makes it onto these lists because it's fresh on the minds of those who make them, over a movie that was released earlier in the year that may have been just as compelling, but has since lost some of its luster. For instance, I expected Cyrus and/or Greenberg to make this year's list, based on what I've heard and read about them.

Anyway, of the movies the only one I've seen was Toy Story 3. I was more taken in by it the second time on Blu-ray than I was in the theater.

The Bus 12-12-10 06:54 PM

Nice. I fully expect to have seen all 10 in the theater by year's end. :up:

Michael Corvin 12-12-10 08:15 PM

Glee? Sorry but the second half of season 1 (early this year) was abysmal and the first half of season 2 (this fall) is only marginally better. It's still entertaining but doesn't belong anywhere near a top 10 of 2010 list.

As for movies, I've only seen TS3 and Inception, both worthy of a top 10, but I wish there was more love for How to Train Your Dragon.

dan30oly 12-12-10 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 10540889)
Nice. I fully expect to have seen all 10 in the theater by year's end. :up:

None of them looked that good.

The only one I've seen so far was Inception and that was okay at best.

Travis McClain 12-12-10 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 10541132)

It seems to me that it's hard to say the other nine weren't "that good" without having seen them. But for the sake of conversation, what did you see this year that you thought should have made the list?

acubfaninmd 12-12-10 08:57 PM

Saw Inception, 127 Hours, The Social Network, The Town, and Winter's Bone. Own Toy Story 3 on BD haven't got around to watch it yet and want to see Black Swan and True Grit.

Charlie Goose 12-12-10 10:18 PM

I've only seen Inception. I expect to see most of the others on DVD.

As for TV, I'm a regular viewer of 30 Rock, Boardwalk Empire, Modern Family, and The Walking Dead.

RichC2 12-12-10 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 10541132)

Which vouches for it being a subpar year for you, as they were some of the best this year.

dan30oly 12-12-10 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10541169)
what did you see this year that you thought should have made the list?

The A-Team

PopcornTreeCt 12-12-10 11:04 PM

Wow, I've seen 6: Inception, The Kids Are All Right, The Social Network, 127 Hours, The Town, and Toy Story 3. The Social Network is the clear winner out of them in my book.

RichC2 12-12-10 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 10541474)
The A-Team

Just noticed your Sig, was unaware anyone liked Transformers 2. Kudos for going against the norm I suppose.

Drexl 12-12-10 11:18 PM

I have yet to see 6 of those, but Winter's Bone is the best I've seen so far this year (IMHO).

Supermallet 12-13-10 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10541046)
Glee? Sorry but the second half of season 1 (early this year) was abysmal and the first half of season 2 (this fall) is only marginally better. It's still entertaining but doesn't belong anywhere near a top 10 of 2010 list.

As for movies, I've only seen TS3 and Inception, both worthy of a top 10, but I wish there was more love for How to Train Your Dragon.

Three of my favorite films of the year were animated: TS3, How To Train Your Dragon, and Tangled. The fact that Inception keeps making these lists and Dragon and Tangled don't makes me laugh.

Also, The Walking Dead? Did they see the finale? What a load of crap. And how about the scene in the boat with Andrea and her sister? "Maybe the no crying rule wasn't for the fish." Grade A writing there.

RichC2 12-13-10 07:53 AM

They're going for the "Groundbreaking" shows, good or not. I mean, Glee? That shit is downright unwatchable. Walking Dead was different, and it's popular, so they went with it -- and votes were probably cast before the finale.

riotinmyskull 12-13-10 08:09 AM

is SHUTTER ISLAND eligible? that was released in january right? when's the cut off?

RichC2 12-13-10 08:11 AM

It was released in Jan '10, it is eligible for all awards consideration.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZhiYgTu5qS4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZhiYgTu5qS4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

LA Film Critics Awards picked The Social Network as their best of 2010, runner-up was Carlos.

Broadcast Film Critics announced their nominations as well:
“Black Swan” received an unprecedented 12 nominations for the 16th annual Critics’ Choice Movie Awards, garnering nods for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction, Best Editing, Best Costume Design, Best Makeup, Best Sound and Best Score. “True Grit” and “The King’s Speech” followed close behind with 11 nominations each, while “Inception” received 10 nominations and “The Social Network” garnered 9.

“Toy Story 3” was honored in the Best Picture and Best Animated Feature categories while two Best Picture nominees, “Inception” and “The Town,” were also recognized in the Best Action Movie category. “127 Hours,” “The Fighter” and “Winter’s Bone” also scored multiple nominations, including Best Picture.
Full List:

Spoiler:
BEST PICTURE

Nominees:

•127 Hours
•Black Swan
•The Fighter
•Inception
•The King's Speech
•The Social Network
•The Town
•Toy Story 3
•True Grit
•Winter's Bone

BEST ACTOR

Nominees:

•Jeff Bridges - "True Grit"
•Robert Duvall - "Get Low"
•Jesse Eisenberg - "The Social Network"
•Colin Firth - "The King's Speech"
•James Franco - "127 Hours"
•Ryan Gosling - "Blue Valentine"

BEST ACTRESS

Nominees:

•Annette Bening - "The Kids Are All Right"
•Nicole Kidman - "Rabbit Hole"
•Jennifer Lawrence - "Winter's Bone"
•Natalie Portman - "Black Swan"
•Noomi Rapace - "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"
•Michelle Williams - "Blue Valentine"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Nominees:

•Christian Bale - "The Fighter"
•Andrew Garfield - "The Social Network"
•Jeremy Renner - "The Town"
•Sam Rockwell - "Conviction"
•Mark Ruffalo - "The Kids Are All Right"
•Geoffrey Rush - "The King's Speech"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Nominees:

•Amy Adams - "The Fighter"
•Helena Bonham Carter - "The King's Speech"
•Mila Kunis - "Black Swan"
•Melissa Leo - "The Fighter"
•Hailee Steinfeld - "True Grit"
•Jacki Weaver - "Animal Kingdom"

BEST YOUNG ACTOR/ACTRESS

Nominees:

•Elle Fanning - "Somewhere"
•Jennifer Lawrence - "Winter's Bone"
•Chloe Grace Moretz - "Let Me In"
•Chloe Grace Moretz - "Kick-Ass"
•Kodi Smit-McPhee - "Let Me In"
•Hailee Steinfeld - "True Grit"

BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE

Nominees:

•The Fighter
•The Kids Are All Right
•The King's Speech
•The Social Network
•The Town

BEST DIRECTOR

Nominees:

•Darren Aronofsky - "Black Swan"
•Danny Boyle - "127 Hours"
•Joel Coen & Ethan Coen - "True Grit"
•David Fincher - "The Social Network"
•Tom Hooper - "The King's Speech"
•Christopher Nolan - "Inception"

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Nominees:

•"Another Year" - Mike Leigh
•"Black Swan" - Mark Heyman and Andres Heinz and John McLaughlin
•"The Fighter" - Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson (Story by Keith Dorrington & Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson)
•"Inception" - Christopher Nolan
•"The Kids Are All Right" - Lisa Cholodenko and Stuart Blumberg
•"The King's Speech" - David Seidler

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Nominees:

•"127 Hours" - Simon Beaufoy and Danny Boyle
•"The Social Network" - Aaron Sorkin
•"The Town" - Ben Affleck, Peter Craig and Sheldon Turner
•"Toy Story 3" - Michael Arndt (Story by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich)
•"True Grit" - Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
•"Winter's Bone" - Debra Granik and Anne Rosellini

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Nominees:

•"127 Hours" - Anthony Dod Mantle
•"Black Swan" - Matthew Libatique
•"Inception" - Wally Pfister
•"The King's Speech" - Danny Cohen
•"True Grit" - Roger Deakins

BEST ART DIRECTION

Nominees:

•"Alice in Wonderland" - Stefan Dechant
•"Black Swan" - Therese DePrez and Tora Peterson
•"Inception" - Guy Hendrix Dyas
•"The King's Speech" - Netty Chapman
•"True Grit" - Jess Gonchor and Nancy Haigh

BEST EDITING

Nominees:

•"127 Hours" - Jon Harris
•"Black Swan" - Andrew Weisblum
•"Inception" - Lee Smith
•"The Social Network" - Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Nominees:

•"Alice in Wonderland" - Colleen Atwood
•"Black Swan" - Amy Westcott
•"The King's Speech" - Jenny Beavan
•"True Grit" - Mary Zophres

BEST MAKEUP

Nominees:

•Alice in Wonderland
•Black Swan
•Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
•True Grit

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Nominees:

•Alice in Wonderland
•Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

•Inception
•Tron: Legacy

BEST SOUND

Nominees:

•127 Hours
•Black Swan
•Inception
•The Social Network
•Toy Story 3

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Nominees:

•Despicable Me
•How to Train Your Dragon
•The Illusionist
•Tangled
•Toy Story 3

BEST ACTION MOVIE

Nominees:

•Inception
•Kick-Ass
•Red
•The Town
•Unstoppable

BEST COMEDY

Nominees:

•Cyrus
•Date Night
•Easy A
•Get Him to the Greek
•I Love You Phillip Morris
•The Other Guys

BEST PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

Nominees:

•The Pacific
•Temple Grandin
•You Don't Know Jack

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Nominees:

•Biutiful
•I Am Love
•The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Nominees:

•Exit Through the Gift Shop
•Inside Job
•Restrepo
•Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work
•The Tillman Story
•Waiting for Superman

BEST SONG

Nominees:

•"I See the Light" - performed by Mandy Moore & Zachary Levi/written by Alan Menken & Glenn Slater - Tangled
•"If I Rise" - performed by Dido and A.R. Rahman/music by A.R. Rahman/lyrics by Dido Armstrong and Rollo Armstrong - 127 Hours
•"Shine" - performed and written by John Legend - Waiting for Superman
•"We Belong Together" - performed and written by Randy Newman - Toy Story 3
•"You Haven't Seen the Last of Me Yet" - performed by Cher/written by Diane Warren - Burlesque

BEST SCORE

Nominees:

•"Black Swan" - Clint Mansell
•"Inception" - Hans Zimmer
•"The King's Speech" - Alexandre Desplat
•"The Social Network" - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
•"True Grit" - Carter Burwell

Supermallet 12-13-10 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10541759)
They're going for the "Groundbreaking" shows, good or not. I mean, Glee? That shit is downright unwatchable. Walking Dead was different, and it's popular, so they went with it -- and votes were probably cast before the finale.

Other than some explicit zombie gore, what ground is The Walking Dead breaking? I don't think it was wholly awful, just often stupid when it veered off script from the comic. But it's certainly not the best of the year, and doesn't deserve to be on the same list as, say, Mad Men.

jeffkjoe 12-13-10 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10541046)

Amen, brutha!

I may be biased, but I think How to Train Your Dragon deserves more recognition! :)

Rypro 525 12-13-10 12:53 PM

best original screenplay
•"The Fighter" - Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson (Story by Keith Dorrington & Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson)

Wasn't it based on a book that Mickey Ward (the fighter the movie is based on) wrote?

William Fuld 12-13-10 01:15 PM

Ward didn't write a book.

hardercore 12-13-10 01:22 PM

is this the oscar thread, then? 'cause i've been keeping track of the precursors like I do each year. Short story: The Social Network is going to sweep the oscars, but I can post the lists... several of the critics groups have chosen as well as the BFCA, AFI, PGA (for documentaries) etc.

RichC2 12-13-10 01:28 PM

Yeah, Social Network is looking more and more like a lock. Awesome for Fincher and company.

You can start up the road to the oscars thread or I can try getting this one renamed, not really a big deal either way. You tend to do a great job with that. There's also an Oscars 2010 predictions thread.

Rypro 525 12-13-10 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10542326)
Yeah, Social Network is looking more and more like a lock. Awesome for Fincher and company.

You can start up the road to the oscars thread or I can try getting this one renamed, not really a big deal either way. You tend to do a great job with that. There's also an Oscars 2010 predictions thread.

I find it amusing that 6 months ago, everyone was bitching that "who wants to see that facebook movie" and now its a big frontrunner

RichC2 12-13-10 01:36 PM

Haha yeah, it was funny before it came out too, those that know Aaron Sorkin and David Fincher knew it'd be something special, the others still saw it as the Facebook movie.