Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elysium - Blomkamp and Copley reunite for sci-fi project

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Elysium - Blomkamp and Copley reunite for sci-fi project

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Elysium - Blomkamp and Copley reunite for sci-fi project

You should just stop coming to this thread and spare yourself the disappointment.
Old 04-09-13, 11:07 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Sony held an event today in four cities across the world to launch to buzz for District 9 director Neill Blomkamp‘s new film Elysium. Fans in the four cities were invited to the event through the film’s viral website. Blomkamp, producer Simon Kinberg and co-star Sharlto Copley were in attendance at the Arclight Cinemas in Hollywood to answer questions.

Star Matt Damon also answered questions from a theater in Germany, with his appearance also simulcast to the other venues. The event was to premiere the first trailer for Elysium, which will be online tomorrow at some point. But the filmmakers also screened a 10-minute sizzle reel of footage from the movie.

While I was a bit underwhelmed by the trailer, the footage kicked my ass. I’m not sure if this is because I had already seen the awesome presentation at Comic Con last year, or if it was because the trailer was a bit more of a primer for the film’s story/concept. The only reason I bring this up is that the trailer goes online tomorrow and if you aren’t impressed, trust me, you will be when you see more footage.

Elysium looks beautiful, a fully realized future world complete with dust, dirt and scratches. Unlike other films that look like shiny, cool-looking concept art brought to life on a soundstage, Blomkamp shot his film in real locations in Mexico and Canada, augmenting it with gritty sci-fi tech. It feels like a real place, a real world. I feel that the action doesn’t end at the edges of the camera frame (like it does in so many other world building flicks) — it feels like a real place, with both the fantastical and horrific. This is what most excites me about the film.

Description of the 10-minutes of Elysium footage by Germain Lussier:

SPOILERS FOLLOW.

Spoiler:
Three ships take off from a terrible slum in the year 2159. They’re headed to Elysium, the utopian space station above the Earth reserved for the super rich. On Elysium, a warning says unauthorized ships are entering their airspace. Jodie Foster’s character sends a message to Kruger — an Elysium black ops soldier on Earth, played by Sharlto Copley — to take them down. On Earth, he picks up a huge rocket launcher and fires it into the sky. The rockets go into space and blow up all three ships.

Now we meet Max (Matt Damon) on some kind of line. Police officer robots see him and state his list of crimes, which is long. They ask him what’s in his bag and Damon’s character, who is bald, quips “hair products mostly.” They don’t find the joke funny and pin him to the ground, breaking his arm. We now move to a hospital where a nurse knows Max. He obviously has feelings for her. She fixes his arm and tell him to stay out of trouble. “I do,” he says.

Max goes to visit his parole officer, which is an automated machine. They have some playful banter and, by this time, we know things aren’t good for Max. Those things only get worse when he goes to work. His boss tells him he’s going to dock him half a day for being late and doesn’t want him to work with a cast. Max says it’s cool. During work, which is on some kind of robot assembly line, he’s forced to go into a hazardous area. An accident occurs, and a robot doc gives Max only 5 days to live.

The only way Max can stay alive is to get to Elysium, where there’s no disease, but he can’t afford it. He asks a friend (Diego Luna) for help and the friend introduces Max to some sort of criminal. The criminal wants Max to put on a Third Generation Hawk (or Hulk?) suit and to steal the thoughts on an Elysium citizen currently on Earth. He’ll do so by uplinking to the man’s brain. Unfortunately for Max, not only is this illegal, the Hawk suit has to be fused to his bones.

Now he’s a cyborg, and after checking out a few different guns, we see the man Max has to target, Carlyle, played by William Fichtner. He strolls to a very high tech space ship and begins to fly away when Max and a crew of guys start to shoot at it. We’re then taken to Elysium where Jodie Foster is alerted one of their citizens is in danger, and she dispatches Kruger.

Back to the hijacking, Max brings the plane down and Carlyle tells his droids that he wants these men killed. The battle begins. The droids are winning with their superior firepower when Max tackles one, rips his head off, and then fires at another while he’s reloading. The droid explodes in spectacular slow motion. Max then links into Carlyle and performs the data heist as Kruger finally arrives. The action continues.

Apparently, whatever Max downloads has the power to override all the systems on Elysium. And so begins a montage of action scenes that involved all sorts of weapons, crashes, fly over shots of Elysium, people running around corridors, hints at some larger, more powerful cyborg suits and more.

At the end, you pick your jaw off the floor because it looked that good.
Old 04-09-13, 01:25 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

fcking Yahoo posts a 2:30 minute "trailer" that's nothing but an image announcing they'll have the trailer tonight (that was preceded by a 30sec ad )
Old 04-09-13, 01:35 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
fcking Yahoo posts a 2:30 minute "trailer" that's nothing but an image announcing they'll have the trailer tonight (that was preceded by a 30sec ad )
Old 04-09-13, 01:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

God motherfucking damnit!
Old 04-09-13, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Here's a link to one that's for a Spanish trailer, though the dialogue in in English.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/elys...-trailer-lands
Old 04-09-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Youtube has that one up:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FzilnRyMWE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-09-13, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD english trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EJ-bYOyQ46Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-09-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

awww yaaaa
Old 04-09-13, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was pretty awesome.
Old 04-09-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

The sad thing is Solid Snake PAC finally gave up on this thread early this afternoon...
Old 04-09-13, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Sweet trailer! Can't wait, my #1 anticipated movie of the year.
Old 04-09-13, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This and Pacific Rim just shot right to the top of my most anticipated flicks of 2013.
Old 04-09-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This and Pacific Rim just shot right to the top of my most anticipated flicks of 2013.
I'll be there opening weekend if not opening day.
Old 04-10-13, 07:40 AM
Banned

About goddamn time.

I was game the moment Blomkamp was going to make another film. I'm there opening there. Copley is whom I'm really wanting to see his performance. He's a fucking badass motherfucker in this.
Old 04-10-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heard the Nerdist podcast with William Fichtner and he said he was doing ADR for Elysium and what he saw on screen was some of the most incredible visuals he'd ever seen.
Old 04-10-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To think they denied Blomkamp a Halo movie...
Old 04-10-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Looks like they stretched the $90m budget pretty far.

Something tells me this is just a super expensive pilot for an eventual TV series.
Old 04-10-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The effects and scope look pretty impressive. I disliked District 9 quite a bit though, so i'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 04-10-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The effects and scope look pretty impressive. I disliked District 9 quite a bit though, so i'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 04-10-13, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
That was Universal, right? I think it was. Whomever it was must have kicked themselves in the teeth after seeing what Blomkamp could direct out of what he had.
Old 04-10-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm in the same camp.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Not true. The problem was Microsoft's crazy demands. They were insisting on a huge budget (some reports claim it was $300 million) without a dime coming from their pockets, and that the bulk of the profits were to go to them.

Despite the awesome demo reel Weta created (that was later used as marketing for one of the Halo games), no studio in their right mind would agree to that. I'm sure having an (at the time) unproven director at the helm didn't help but the problems were all caused by Microsoft's greed.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-10-13 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-10-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
That was Universal, right? I think it was. Whomever it was must have kicked themselves in the teeth after seeing what Blomkamp could direct out of what he had.
And even Elysium was made on the somewhat cheap: 90 million.
Old 04-10-13, 11:25 AM
Banned

For sure. Looks a lot more expensive than the 90 million.
Old 04-10-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be honest, this looks like it could be a Halo movie disguised as something else. It has the freaking arch thing front and center. Also, Damon putting on the armor outfit and tearing up robots looks pretty video game like (in good way).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.