Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Matrix vs. Inception?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Matrix vs. Inception
The Matrix is the more existential film
33.33%
Inception is the more existential film
16.67%
The Matrix is more entertaining as a film that deals with an alternate reality
63.89%
Inception is more entertaining as a film that deals with an alternate reality
25.00%
Another movie is more existential than both (please specify...)
11.11%
Another movie is more entertaining as a film that deals with an alternate reality (specify...)
11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Matrix vs. Inception?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 08:02 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
The Matrix vs. Inception?

**please note you can vote more than once in this particular poll**
In a published L.A. Times interview, when Nolan was asked whether or not Inception would be another second-life film akin to Avatar and Surrogates, he responded, "I think ours is of an older school ... more of The Matrix variety and the concepts of different levels of reality. I think when I first started trying to make this film happen it was very much pulled from that era of movies where you had The Matrix, you had Dark City, you had The Thirteenth Floor and, to a certain extent, you had Memento too. They were based in the principles that the world around you might not be real."

Inception also appears to exude the same existentialist anxiety, film noir feeling, and dream-nightmare disorientation as the Wachowskis' consciousness-freeing revolution. Both Inception and The Matrix offer audiences a rat's-eye view from within, rather than above a maze or matrix-like reality. A maze, alluded to in the Inception trailer's labyrinthine skyline title and by Nolan, who in the previously cited L.A. Times story noted that he always finds himself, in films like Memento and Inception, "gravitating to the analogy of a maze." These thoughts-as-weapons thrillers also both have an emotional backbone that tethers the blood-racing exhilaration to something more meaningful. Though while Neo strives to save humanity, Cobb, at least from what we've glimpsed so far, has less altruistic, corporate-greed-generated ambitions (mingling with his widower heartbreak).
...............................................................Christine Champ, Apr 24, 2010, Film.com
Even if they may have no connection to each other, I was struck, as others might have been, that the two are similar on scales of an existential alternate reality when one thing appears to be not what it seems.

I thought with the upcoming home digital release it might be a good discussion to bring up as to whether you think the two are similar or vastly different and the reasons why. Perhaps you feel another is more apropo in the discussion of what's real and what might be a real possible alternate reality that we all live in but may not be conscious of.

I myself feel The Matrix was more entertaining, but still thought inducing as to being part of a larger "construct" or entity that might be "pulling the strings" in a sense whereas Inception invoked feelings of a more existential nature, grounded in reality, but far more thought-provoking and empirical.

So two questions on the poll are posed:

1) which movie do you think was the more existential and ground breaking in the sense it "originated in or was based on observation without regard to reality based theory or systems"?

2) which movie, simply, was the more entertaining affair?

Now, when I say entertaining, it doesn't necessarily mean the better movie, but The Matrix, at least, had more elements that a wider audience could grasp to, whereas Inception might have left more dumfounded.

i myself will defer until i see Inception once more this week.
Old 12-05-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Matrix vs. Inception?

I thought the Matrix was a better film than Inception. However, I like both.
Old 12-05-10, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really know of any meanings for 'existential' or 'existentialism' that would be valid to say "Film A is more existential than film B." Maybe you're looking for a different word? Do you mean 'original'?

Last edited by AVP77; 12-05-10 at 09:20 AM. Reason: small add
Old 12-05-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The Matrix was more entertaining to me. I love Inception, but Matrix is more fun and feels like it doesn't try quite as hard to be deep and meaningful.
Old 12-05-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Matrix

(sorry for being so long-winded)
Old 12-05-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inception is a much better film in my opinion. I've never been a big fan of The Matrix.
Old 12-05-10, 11:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by AVP77
I don't really know of any meanings for 'existential' or 'existentialism' that would be valid to say "Film A is more existential than film B." Maybe you're looking for a different word? Do you mean 'original'?
My brain hurt trying to figure out exactly what Scott was trying to ask.

I love both films, but think it's way too soon to compare Inception to any other film, at least in regards to lasting impact. People are still in the "honeymoon phase" with it.

In time, I think I'll end up watching and appreciating The Matrix much more.
Originally Posted by fumanstan
The Matrix was more entertaining to me. I love Inception, but Matrix is more fun and feels like it doesn't try quite as hard to be deep and meaningful.
I'll probably end up at this. Again, I loved Inception, but have a feeling I'll end up thinking it too pretentious.
Old 12-05-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I'm the guy that didn't care much for The Matrix. I loved inception though.

I'm sure Inception will stand the test of time about as well as The Dark Knight, which is to say, not very well, but I still like it more.

I just pissed off two sets of fanboys in one post...
Old 12-05-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

2 years later and Dark Knight already hasn't stood the test of time?
Old 12-05-10, 02:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put "other" for both and would like to point to Videodrome and eXistenZ. In terms of entertainment, The Matrix is a cut above Inception, but Inception is better than either Matrix sequel.
Old 12-05-10, 02:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I put "other" for both and would like to point to Videodrome and eXistenZ. In terms of entertainment, The Matrix is a cut above Inception, but Inception is better than either Matrix sequel.
I've only seen Videodrome once, so I can't really comment, but I completely agree about eXistenZ. Let's just hope Cronenberg never tries to do a sequel.
Old 12-05-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I put "other" for both and would like to point to Videodrome and eXistenZ.
This
Old 12-05-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dark City beats them both.
Old 12-05-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Old 12-05-10, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

until it gets all DBZ and rushes itself to reach the credits. It was a fucking great film UNTIL it gets DBZ. After all that it's a pretty good film still...it's just rushed at that moment forward. I'm not sure how I would've done it but...it just feels off cuz it just didn't feel right. I don't mind that it did a DBZ thing there but something about how they did it just didn't sit well w/ me.
Old 12-05-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
until it gets all DBZ and rushes itself to reach the credits. It was a fucking great film UNTIL it gets DBZ. After all that it's a pretty good film still...it's just rushed at that moment forward. I'm not sure how I would've done it but...it just feels off cuz it just didn't feel right. I don't mind that it did a DBZ thing there but something about how they did it just didn't sit well w/ me.
What the hell does DBZ mean? And the ending is a thousand times better than the drawn out, agonizing and superfluous last 30 minutes of Inception.
Old 12-05-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

didn't care for either
Old 12-05-10, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I assume DBZ means Dragonball Z the anime/manga, which is known for action sequences with big energy blasts and what not.

I agree with Solid Snake; I love Dark City, but the ending feels so out of place. I prefer both Matrix and Inception to it, and didn't feel the end to Inception was drawn out at all.
Old 12-05-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Yes the battle scene of Dark City did feel like Dragon Ball Z when they both suspended in mid air shooting rays of light at each other. Other than that, Dark City is a gorgeous movie.

I think that Matrix is another amazing flick but i give the edge to Dark City.

Never seen Inception. Will have to check it out one day.
Old 12-05-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Inception & The Matrix, yes.
Videodrome & eXistenZ, no.
Old 12-05-10, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dragon Ball Z....japanese cartoon about guys that are super martial artists and shoot blasts from there hands, came here and was dubbed, became huge sensation, etc etc....

What I meant with that was the whole sequence w/ Schreber injecting Murdoch and then Murdoch starts kicking ass from his mind.
Old 12-05-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
Inception & The Matrix, yes.
Videodrome & eXistenZ, no.
I have no problem with that, personally I love Dark City, eXistenZ, & Videodrome (although that is a far stretch comparing it to the others). Either way, the more I like about the daring & creative craft of those films, I find it so laughable that people could consider Inception on the same level when it misfires in so many ways. Even the first Matrix is far superior and I'm not a big fan of that film at all.
Old 12-05-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And yet it succeeds far better at being deep and meaningful.

Inception couldn't stand the test of its running time.
Old 12-05-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Matrix is more fun and feels like it doesn't try quite as hard to be deep and meaningful.
And then came the sequels.......................
Old 12-06-10, 02:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

truly surprised for the seemingly lack of love for Inception.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.