Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Originally Posted by GenPion
I was trying to make a reference to Inception.
Love his Batman scores (except Rises, which aside from Bane and Selina Kyle the entire score is cues verbatim from the first two films edited into the film, replacing the score that was recorded) but Inception....I'll never understand why something so overbearingly loud (in and out of theaters) is so praised. It damn near ruined the film for me because I couldn't hear anything else. Outside of the trilogy I don't enjoy Zimmer's music much, since his specific sound is literally everywhere on big action movies.

The way Supermallet feels about Williams is the way untold...hundreds feel about my favorite composer. People treat Williams like he's this perfect God which...no. Can't do it. Don't see it. However I'd rather a Williams styled score (meaning melodies, flair and a real orchestra) over a Zimmer score for this (chords, rhythms, and almost entirely synthesized and processed to sound like an imitation orchestra) but whatever. I'm not a Superman fan and I'm excited for this movie now.
Old 01-04-13, 02:50 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda nails it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0PlwDbSYicM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-04-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried watching that video for a minute and couldn't get over how douchy the guy talking is.
Old 01-04-13, 03:10 PM

Old 01-04-13, 03:15 PM

Fuck Max Landis and his dumb ass.
Old 01-04-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I tried watching that video for a minute and couldn't get over how douchy the guy talking is.
It was worth it for the Sarah Shahi cameo.

Speaking of everything he brought up in that video, he forgot one question that has bothered me since way back then. How come Booster Gold didn't already know about Doomsday? It would have been totally inkeeping with the character to have him withhold the info under the assumption that he could figure out someway to beat him and take credit for saving Superman. But his not knowing about Doomsday beforehand was really weird, given Booster Gold is from the future and that would probably be in every history book from his time.
Old 01-04-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It was worth it for the Sarah Shahi cameo.
This.
Old 01-04-13, 05:14 PM
Banned

That whole video is just stupid and full of errors.

The death of Superman was in Superman volume 2 #75, not Action Comics volume 2 #75. Any actual comic book fan knows this. It wasn't just a slip either because the video mentions it being Action Comics in more than one place.

He mentions that Superman was not relevant? Um WTF? John Byrne's reinvention of Superman in 1986 was incredibly popular and made Superman a relevant modern day character. The Superman comics were top sellers from 1986 up until the mid 90s.

He says that following the return of Superman, sales nosedived and never recovered. The Death of Superman was 1992, and sales didn't start decreasing until the mid/late 90s. The whole comic industry nosedived in the mid/late 90s, but that was because of the crash of the speculator market and not anything to do with Superman.

He mentions the Guardian being a new 90s character. Um no he wasn't new at all. Guardian goes all the way back to the Golden Age in the 1940s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian_%28DC_Comics%29

Also he acts surprised that Superman came back to life. It wasn't surprising at all because it was never planned to be permanent from the beginning. I was 13 years old at the time and I remember reading in Wizard magazine that it was just temporary. The whole thing was done because DC wanted to coincide the wedding of Lois and Clark to happen simultaneously in the comics and the Lois and Clark TV series, so the Death and Return of Superman was done as a stalling tactic while the TV series caught up.

Its true that the actual Death storyarc was pretty dumb and just a big popcorn fistfight with as much substance as a Michael Bay movie, but the following storyarcs Funeral for a Friend, World with a Superman, and Reign of the Supermen were all very good stories. And his making fun of Steel and Superboy? They were fan-favorites and are still fan-favorites to this day. They were some of the best new 90s characters. Young Justice/Teen Titans just wouldn't be the same without Conner Kent.
Old 01-04-13, 10:15 PM

Ron Howard...that came out of nowhere.
Old 01-05-13, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979

The death of Superman was in Superman volume 2 #75, not Action Comics volume 2 #75. Any actual comic book fan knows this.
You know, I will never understand why comic book fans get made fun of by mainstream society.
Old 01-05-13, 01:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
You know, I will never understand why comic book fans get made fun of by mainstream society.
Whatever. The Death of Superman issue is not an obscure bit of knowledge. By FAR, the three most well known comics of the entire 1990s would be Superman volume 2 #75 (Doomsday kills Superman), Batman volume 1 #497 (Bane breaks Batman's back), and X-Men volume 2 #1 (number one selling comic of all time selling a massive eight million copies). This is very common knowledge to anyone who is even remotely familiar with the comic industry. Its not really nitpicking anymore than computer tech people nitpicking CSI type shows or doctors nitpicking medical shows.
Old 01-05-13, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

I honestly only remembered Superman #75. I'm a huge Batman fan and couldn't for the life of me remember the issue number where Bane broke his back. And I had no clue about that X-Men comic selling so well.
Old 01-05-13, 02:16 AM

Old 01-05-13, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I honestly only remembered Superman #75. I'm a huge Batman fan and couldn't for the life of me remember the issue number where Bane broke his back. And I had no clue about that X-Men comic selling so well.
Obviously you're not a true comic book fan.
Old 01-05-13, 02:33 AM

Yeah only anonymous internet people can decide what a true fan of anything is and we as equally anonymous internet people must all comply.
Old 01-05-13, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The worst part of that Max Landis vid is how shamefully and undeniably it copies Derek Waters' "Drunk History" videos, and the even-worstier part is just how piss-poor his unfunny ripoff is. I remember watching it about a year back and thinking it had to be clever considering his genetics (one of the greatest comedy directors of all time + designer of arguably the most famous movie costume of all time) and all the castmembers involved but I was shocked by just how unfunny it was. I have a ton of respect for Elijah Wood but watching that video kinda made me wanna punch him in the face. Hard.

I don't care if he gets the title of the book wrong or doesn't know the comics history (I didn't notice the mistakes, even with the wrong stuff I'm sure he knows comics better than me) but between this and that terrible emo found footage movie I'd have to say that Max Landis is the worst thing to happen to John Landis. Worse than that helicopter.
Old 01-05-13, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I loved Landis's video I thought it was totally spot-on. Plus the Misti Dawn cameo...
Old 01-05-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whatever. The Death of Superman issue is not an obscure bit of knowledge.
Yeah, dude,that's like saying you can't be a true Star Trek fan if you don't remember The City on the Edge of Forever's episode number (both production and airing order).

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Yeah only anonymous internet people can decide what a true fan of anything is and we as equally anonymous internet people must all comply.
On noes, whatever will I do when I'm not anonymous?
Old 01-05-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've always wanted to punch Elijah Wood in the face.
Old 01-05-13, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The death of Superman was in Superman volume 2 #75, not Action Comics volume 2 #75. Any actual comic book fan knows this. It wasn't just a slip either because the video mentions it being Action Comics in more than one place.

He mentions that Superman was not relevant? Um WTF? John Byrne's reinvention of Superman in 1986 was incredibly popular and made Superman a relevant modern day character. The Superman comics were top sellers from 1986 up until the mid 90s.

He says that following the return of Superman, sales nosedived and never recovered. The Death of Superman was 1992, and sales didn't start decreasing until the mid/late 90s. The whole comic industry nosedived in the mid/late 90s, but that was because of the crash of the speculator market and not anything to do with Superman.

He mentions the Guardian being a new 90s character. Um no he wasn't new at all. Guardian goes all the way back to the Golden Age in the 1940s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian_%28DC_Comics%29

Also he acts surprised that Superman came back to life. It wasn't surprising at all because it was never planned to be permanent from the beginning. I was 13 years old at the time and I remember reading in Wizard magazine that it was just temporary. The whole thing was done because DC wanted to coincide the wedding of Lois and Clark to happen simultaneously in the comics and the Lois and Clark TV series, so the Death and Return of Superman was done as a stalling tactic while the TV series caught up.

Its true that the actual Death storyarc was pretty dumb and just a big popcorn fistfight with as much substance as a Michael Bay movie, but the following storyarcs Funeral for a Friend, World with a Superman, and Reign of the Supermen were all very good stories. And his making fun of Steel and Superboy? They were fan-favorites and are still fan-favorites to this day. They were some of the best new 90s characters. Young Justice/Teen Titans just wouldn't be the same without Conner Kent.
Fan favorites now or not. Their existence is meaniningless. They exist out of a bad move on DC. I could do w/o them ever existing to NOT have The Death of Superman and impact it had. The video as it mentioned is mostly accurate about that whole situation.

I remember as a kid thinking how stupid Steel's identity was.

Saying all that. I wouldn't mind seeing Doomsday in a Supes film were it to be reworked better somehow. Seeing something as wild and dangerous like that would be great imagery to go against Supes. Granted I would only want the villain over so many aspects of the story he was made for in the comics. Though due to the lack of a proper story there are others I'd prefer moreso due to their association or impact in a better overall.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 01-05-13 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-07-13, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
No one is pissing and moaning about how "blue" the new photo is?

Old 01-07-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whatever. The Death of Superman issue is not an obscure bit of knowledge. By FAR, the three most well known comics of the entire 1990s would be Superman volume 2 #75 (Doomsday kills Superman), Batman volume 1 #497 (Bane breaks Batman's back), and X-Men volume 2 #1 (number one selling comic of all time selling a massive eight million copies). This is very common knowledge to anyone who is even remotely familiar with the comic industry. Its not really nitpicking anymore than computer tech people nitpicking CSI type shows or doctors nitpicking medical shows.
Spawn #1 not in the mix?
Old 01-07-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I would definitely take Batman #497 out of there. Spawn #1 was a much bigger deal then the Batman issue.
Old 01-07-13, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Timber
I would definitely take Batman #497 out of there. Spawn #1 was a much bigger deal then the Batman issue.
I disagree. Spawn was junky. A big deal, but as big a deal as Batman being broken.
Old 01-07-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminal
I disagree. Spawn was junky. A big deal, but as big a deal as Batman being broken.
True but Batman being broken came on the heals of Superman "dying". It was looked at as just a gimmack at that point. I'd even say that Azreal #1 and Batman #500 were bigger deals than the actual back breaking issue.

Did we really just make a Superman thread MORE geeky by spouting off comic book numbers?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.