Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Old 08-04-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Re: Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
I still want Jon Hamm
We all do, but what does that have to do with Superman?
Old 08-04-11, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually do like the suit, just think the coloring should be more like the edit above. Oh, and the "S" shouldn't be textured like the rest of the suit. Maybe it will look better in daylight
Old 08-04-11, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The suit reminds me of those bling bling cell phone cases.
Old 08-04-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love it. I'm more excited about the set design actually.
Old 08-05-11, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
how hard would it have been to make the suit those colors? Jesus fucking Christ!
Amen. I'm not a fan of the muted colors -- but at least the cape doesn't look like maroon leather this time. It's amazing how someone can tweak a photo with a few minor color adjustments and really make it pop. That manip looks far more correct to my eyes. I hope the filmmakers realize that don't have to shy away from a brighter color-palette. It's Superman for god's sake! As Donnor-inspired as Superman Returns was, it was still an awfully dreary looking picture. At least Richard wasn't opposed to having primary colors and sunshine in his movie.

We have no idea how the costume is going to read on screen, but I do wish they would stop with the damn texturing. I just knew they would end up doing something like this. I imagine they believe regular old spandex just doesn't look "hip" enough. Still, I could live with it if they didn't use it on the shield as well. It's at least nice that they have kept the shield in the right proportions. Overall, it's still a real improvement over the Superman Returns design.
Old 08-05-11, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think it's a matter of regular spandex not looking hip enough, it just looks pretty cheap. Remember how awful Wonder Woman's costume was? Adding texture gives it a more realistic and expensive look. Now, this weird rubber mesh texture, not really sure what they're thinking with that...
Old 08-05-11, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

RE: Spandex: I guess it depends on the material. The Wonder Woman pants from the promo photo were shiny vinyl and looked super trashy. The darker lycra(?) pants she had on in the set photos were a noticeable improvement.

I'm not a fan of the texturing here simply because it's such a classic design that it didn't need that much tinkering. I get that it adds a more expensive appearance, but even Routh's costume didn't take the texturing to this level -- which is my only real gripe here. As I mentioned, it might look better if they didn't add it to the shield as well.

Last edited by joe_b; 08-05-11 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-05-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well now that WB released Selina Kyle pictures, the Superman suit looks better in comparison. Her's has more of a cheap look to it.
Old 08-05-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Well now that WB released Selina Kyle pictures, the Superman suit looks better in comparison. Her's has more of a cheap look to it.
Not really. Her's is just a standard catburglar suit and seems totally functional. His is just busy for the sake of being busy and he looks like Bizarro.
Old 08-05-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Her's has more of a cheap look to it.
The problem is not the suit, although it could have been better. The problem has always been the casting of Hathaway as Catwoman. Forget about the acting. She'll do fine. It's everywhere else that she fails to pull of this character.
Old 08-05-11, 09:39 AM
Banned

And without footage to prove it...the truth is always known.

I like Supes suit. I can't say much for Catwoman considering i see not much of the whole suit. I'm inclined to agree that hers is more function prone to make sense of her wearing it. I can roll w/ that.
Old 08-05-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
His is just busy for the sake of being busy and he looks like Bizarro.
Would you mind explaining this? It looks like all the other Superman outfits--tights, cape, boots, belt, emblem.
Old 08-05-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GreenVulture View Post
Would you mind explaining this? It looks like all the other Superman outfits--tights, cape, boots, belt, emblem.
The "chainmail" texture. It's like the stupid little S's that Singer had placed on the emblem of the SR costume. They looked like stupid pockmarks. Here the excessive texturing of the costume looks like the costume has a terrible rash.

So they took a bad Singer idea and made it worse. Also, Singer took a look of (deserved) backlash over the muting of the costume's colour scheme. Snyder has gone and had the costume muted even more. This is supposed to be Superman. Not wannabe Batman.

The only improvement I see over Singer's costume is that they got rid of all the extra S emblems Singer had added (to the buckle, within the S emblem itself, and the soles of the boots).
Old 08-05-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All of the things I actually like about this movie I will thank Nolan for. All the crap, I'll blame Snyder...
Old 08-05-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
All of the things I actually like about this movie I will thank Nolan for. All the crap, I'll blame Snyder...
Except Nolan picked Snyder. So, technically, all the bad will be Nolan's fault.
Old 08-05-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the pic looks fine.

What always makes me crazy in these these reaction threads on comic book movies is that there are so many different versions of costumes, hairstyles, and interpretations through the books that it seems silly to say there is one "definitive" look that everything must use as a basis.

We could have gotten this:

Old 08-05-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
The "chainmail" texture. It's like the stupid little S's that Singer had placed on the emblem of the SR costume. They looked like stupid pockmarks. Here the excessive texturing of the costume looks like the costume has a terrible rash.
That texture is easy to pick at when looking at a posed photograph, but I really don't think you're going to notice it much when it's in motion.

I love the look and the colors of the suit. Shows that Snyder--even if he is a hack--is serious about making his own distinctive Superman while respecting the original design.
Old 08-05-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shows that Snyder--even if he is a hack--
Can you explain that? And I mean that as a serious question. I believe only Snyder film I've seen is Sucker Punch so admittedly I don't have a lot to go on. However, I don't understand your assertion. What is a comparison to somebody else who isn't a "hack" and why?
Old 08-05-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't mind that Snyder is trying to put his own stamp on the character. I just don't like his choices.

That texture is easy to pick at when looking at a posed photograph, but I really don't think you're going to notice it much when it's in motion.
That's what people said about the costume Singer approved. It was pretty darn noticeable even in motion.
Old 08-05-11, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
Wow, color, nice!!!
Nice to see Blue instead of Teal and Red instead of Maroon.
Old 08-05-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Can you explain that? And I mean that as a serious question. I believe only Snyder film I've seen is Sucker Punch so admittedly I don't have a lot to go on. However, I don't understand your assertion. What is a comparison to somebody else who isn't a "hack" and why?
Because based on his choices, he favors visuals above all else, often at the expense of writing, coherent editing, choosing the right actors and/or eliciting good performances from them. He seems to have a hardon for making shots look "cool," despite the fact a lot of techniques he prefers--such as his slow down-now-speed up-now slow down motion--were dated before he ever started using them. He picks material that often have multiple, resonant themes and then twists the material so it's grinded down to its most simplistic terms and so he can include more of his totally awesome-looking sequences. And based on his choices, his taste in music ranges from things you hear a million times a day on oldies stations (Watchmen) to songs that are laughably on-the-nose obvious (all the dream-inspired songs in Sucker Punch); he needs to get himself a more creative music supervisor.

The only reason I wasn't up in arms when he was chosen as director for this was because I felt that the Nolan brothers would keep a tight leash on him, and when Sucker Punch became a costly failure, I wouldn't doubt it if Warners started looking over his shoulder, too.

That being said, his Dawn of the Dead remake was good for some thrills.
Old 08-05-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find that pic more creepy than scary...
Old 08-05-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dawn of the Dead is the only one of his movies I genuinely liked. And even that showed poor choices. The relationship between Ving Rhames and the sniper in the other building along would have made a far more thematically resonant movie than anything else he attempted.
Old 08-05-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the suit looks good. The only thing I'd change is get rid of the scales. Other than that I think it's fine.
Old 08-05-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

based on his choices, his taste in music ranges from things you hear a million times a day on oldies stations (Watchmen) to songs that are laughably on-the-nose obvious (all the dream-inspired songs in Sucker Punch); he needs to get himself a more creative music supervisor.
It's unfair to extrapolate anything from Watchmen; each issue of the comic opened with the lyrics of one of those songs. All Snyder did was decide where to place them within each segment of the film. Also, I enjoyed the music choices in Dawn of the Dead. The only other Snyder-helmed movie I've seen is 300, which featured an okay score by Tyler Bates.

To be honest, I'm hoping the music choices in The Man of Steel help break free from John Williams's themes. I love those themes, mind you; I'd rate his Superman score as the finest work in his catalog outside the Spielberg or Star Wars canons. But it's high time we saw--and heard--something different.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.