DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/583016-superman-man-steel-d-snyder.html)

majorjoe23 12-06-10 04:22 PM

re: Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10530414)
Aronofsky doesn't do mainstream genre work.

He hasn't, but The Wolverine will change that.

Hokeyboy 12-06-10 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 10530519)
-notrolls-

Nolan is ridiculously awesome and I love every one of his films, nuff said...

C'mon, Guru's not a troll. I disagree with him but at least he backs up his opinions with reasoning. FAULTY reasoning, but that's neither here nor there. ;)

Supermallet 12-06-10 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 10530552)

Fair enough. But until a workprint of that movie gets leaked online, I'm not holding my breath. ;)

Guru Askew 12-06-10 06:23 PM

I should have also included Snyder in my list. Again, I don't think he's an A-list talent but I think he's more talented than Nolan. "Watchmen" delivers on what everyone already decided "The Dark Knight" was before anyone even saw it. He's not afraid to make a movie look like a comic book when it's based on a comic, and believe me, if Nolan's Batman existed in a less-realistic world you wouldn't have people laughing every time Christian Bale opens his mouth.

Also, Aronofsky's "The Fountain" is a genre movie no matter how you look at it as was "Pi" (admittedly not within the 10-year period) and I prefer it to any of Nolan's films even though I've only seen it once. I actually cared for the characters and remember it here 3 or 4 years after I watched it. The only time Nolan has even come close to making me care for his characters was in "The Prestige" and ultimately that movie just manipulates the audience and invalidates any empathy you may have for the characters with its cheap twist ending. Come to think of it "Memento" does this as well. I suspect "Insomnia" may have managed to make me care for the characters a little more if not for Nolan's obnoxious "Oscar nomination or nothing" stunt casting. It makes me want to seek out the original Foreign version.

I haven't seen "Black Swan" yet but I can't help but think of Aronofsky as a genre director given his association with projects like "Watchmen", "Batman: Year One" and "Robocop" even if they never got off the ground. "The Wrestler" was pretty conventionally-directed but Aronofsky certainly brought a lot of genre sensibilities to "Requiem for a Dream". Ultimately I think that's where Nolan really fails compared to people like Fincher or Raimi, they're directors who do solid work with reserved, tasteful and non-flashy projects like "Zodiac", and "A Simple Plan" and the only time Nolan has even attempted to do a movie without a gimmick or some sort of pretentious re-interpretation was the aforementioned instantly-forgettable "Insomnia" which is the most ironically-titled movie of all time.

Supermallet 12-06-10 06:40 PM

What genre was The Fountain? Sci-fi historical fiction cancer research movie?

Snyder is nowhere near as talented as Nolan. When Snyder makes something that comes close to Memento, then we can talk. Or if Nolan makes a movie as bad as the Owls of Ga'Hoole or as stupid as the Dawn of the Dead remake.

And what was the gimmick in Batman Begins? That it was based on a comic?

RichC2 12-06-10 06:47 PM

I think it's less Snyder allows his movies to look like comics than he doesn't know how to shoot any other way. Watchmen still stands out of a key example of how to not adapt something. It isn't an adaptation, it's just a re-enactment, comic books and movies are two totally different mediums which is something he continually fails to grasp. You're better off with the motion comic.

Supermallet 12-06-10 06:48 PM

A much better attempt at making a movie "feel" like a comic is Ang Lee's The Hulk. I know a lot of people hate that movie, but the look is fantastic.

Mondo Kane 12-06-10 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 10530552)

But this movie's not even gonna have an explosion in it!

MrSmearkase 12-06-10 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10530809)
A much better attempt at making a movie "feel" like a comic is Ang Lee's The Hulk. I know a lot of people hate that movie, but the look is fantastic.

I have to agree with this. As a whole, I have problems with the movie, but the cinematography and editing are not among them.

Artman 12-06-10 10:43 PM

Sorry to break in with some substantive news...

UPDATE: The Hollywood Reporter has debunked claims that Zimmer will be involved in the Zack Snyder film.

Claiming the rumor is "some dirty quote taken out of context," Zimmer affirms that he has no plans to score Superman, likening attempting to improve John Williams' original theme to "rewriting Beethoven’s ninth."

"So that’s unequivocally a no," Zimmer told The Hollywood Reporter, "I have never spoken with Zack Snyder."

Read more: Hans Zimmer will not Score Superman - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movie...#ixzz17Ok8OgsT

Superman07 12-07-10 06:47 AM

Heck, even a big A list composer for films knows you don't change the score! The score is one of the few things they did right with the last one. I think that would have been reviewed favorably even if the story wasn't a rehash. Too often I think the rehashed story and reworked score are looked at togethr to say the entire film was rebranded 70s material. To an extent it was, but I'd bet that same approach for the next score would fit as well if not better to an action piece.

Solid Snake 12-07-10 07:14 AM

I love the Supes movie theme..but...at the same time...I feel a film not related to that series of films needs it's own shoes to run in. The TAS theme was it's own while also being clearly a theme for Superman. Either way, I do think that a Supes theme needs to lift you out of that seat and just push you into the action in a way that is both positive and uplifting...almost prideful in knowing that no matter what...you're going to win...which is what the Williams theme does well.

Obviously this is the TAS theme...we all know wtf the Williams one sounds like, so I won't post it. There is a similarity for sure though...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oUcKJflBG8Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oUcKJflBG8Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The Batman for Nolan's films has this strong start of growing power behind them that eventually just surrounds you and feels like you're going to get hit by something powerful (if not already) and pressuring...with a sense of hope thrown in. Which is awesome if you ask me. I believe the TDK Batman theme is a bit more powerful while the BB one is a bit lighter sounding if I remember...very slight differences. Which is fine cuz in TDK Batman had a shit ton of pressure on him coming at them in every direction.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBzkAbx9gk0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBzkAbx9gk0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

majorjoe23 12-07-10 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10531390)
I love the Supes movie theme..but...at the same time...I feel a film not related to that series of films needs it's own shoes to run in. The TAS theme was it's own while also being clearly a theme for Superman. Either way, I do think that a Supes theme needs to lift you out of that seat and just push you into the action in a way that is both positive and uplifting...almost prideful in knowing that no matter what...you're going to win...which is what the Williams theme does well.

Obviously this is the TAS theme...we all know wtf the Williams one sounds like, so I won't post it. There is a similarity for sure though...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oUcKJflBG8Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oUcKJflBG8Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The Batman for Nolan's films has this strong start of growing power behind them that eventually just surrounds you and feels like you're going to get hit by something powerful (if not already) and pressuring...with a sense of hope thrown in. Which is awesome if you ask me. I believe the TDK Batman theme is a bit more powerful while the BB one is a bit lighter sounding if I remember...very slight differences. Which is fine cuz in TDK Batman had a shit ton of pressure on him coming at them in every direction.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBzkAbx9gk0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBzkAbx9gk0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I think I remember Bruce Timm saying that the key to a good Superman theme song is you have to be able to so sing "Superman!" along with a potion of the instrumentation.

DRG 12-07-10 09:59 AM

The Dark Knight theme just sounds like a standard trailer action theme to me, like something from Immediate Music or X-ray Dog.

Solid Snake 12-07-10 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 10531558)
I think I remember Bruce Timm saying that the key to a good Superman theme song is you have to be able to so sing "Superman!" along with a potion of the instrumentation.

I think he did as well...but I don't know from where I heard it. Maybe I read it in an interview.

Solid Snake 12-07-10 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 10531587)
The Dark Knight theme just sounds like a standard trailer action theme to me, like something from Immediate Music or X-ray Dog.

could you give an example of that? I've no idea what those 2 are.

To me...that theme complements the imagery well. I'm not talking about the editing per se but the imagery in the edit. What would you have wanted for a new Batman theme?

Guru Askew 12-07-10 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10530792)
What genre was The Fountain? Sci-fi historical fiction cancer research movie?

I love how you were trying to be sarcastic only to answer your own question immediately. Is there any doubt whatsoever that "The Fountain" is a sci-fi movie?

Also, Nolan's "Batman" gimmick is "Batman in the real world" which was never done before, and for good reason. The Batman character is absurd in a real-world setting.

Hokeyboy 12-07-10 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew (Post 10531659)
Also, Nolan's "Batman" gimmick is "Batman in the real world" which was never done before, and for good reason. The Batman character is absurd in a real-world setting.

It was never "Batman in the real world". It was "Batman in a more grounded world compared to the shit that came before". Meaning they were getting away from retarded goofball excesses of Schumacher and the Overbearing-Gothic-Visuals-Instead-Of-A-Plot excesses of Burton. It's a milieu, not a "gimmick".

Superman07 12-07-10 12:14 PM

Odd - I thought neither BB and DK had a Batman theme. I think there were some pieces, or motifs throughout, but that's not the same thing to me.

kefrank 12-07-10 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10531807)
It was never "Batman in the real world". It was "Batman in a more grounded world compared to the shit that came before". Meaning they were getting away from retarded goofball excesses of Schumacher and the Overbearing-Gothic-Visuals-Instead-Of-A-Plot excesses of Burton. It's a milieu, not a "gimmick".

Hokeyboy is on a roll. I've never understood the "hyper-realistic" assessment of Nolan's Batman movies. Yes, they're more grounded in reality and less visually-stylized than past Batman film incarnations, but they still require a massive amount of suspension of disbelief and have straight comic book politics, scenarios, and action. They're as grounded in reality as say, a James Bond movie. There's nothing supernatural or abstract going on, but it's obviously a sense of reality significantly heightened from "the real world."

Solid Snake 12-07-10 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 10531898)
Hokeyboy is on a roll. I've never understood the "hyper-realistic" assessment of Nolan's Batman movies. Yes, they're more grounded in reality and less visually-stylized than past Batman film incarnations, but they still require a massive amount of suspension of disbelief and have straight comic book politics, scenarios, and action. They're as grounded in reality as say, a James Bond movie. There's nothing supernatural or abstract going on, but it's obviously a sense of reality significantly heightened from "the real world."

I know right?

Hokeyboy 12-07-10 01:50 PM

Guru Askew = baracine?

GenPion 12-07-10 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10530858)
I have to agree with this. As a whole, I have problems with the movie, but the cinematography and editing are not among them.

I'm going to have to third this notion. While it may not be a fantastic film, I am a fan of Ang Lee's Hulk and it was one of the best examples I could think of in terms of properly adapting a comic book to the big screen.

GenPion 12-07-10 02:31 PM

I love the new thread title. Mainly because I think Nolan did mess this up, because Snyder is one of my least favorite film-makers. Nolan is one of my favorites so I find this particularly disappointing... I still haven't gotten over it yet.

Solid Snake 12-07-10 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion (Post 10532102)
I'm going to have to third this notion. While it may not be a fantastic film, I am a fan of Ang Lee's Hulk and it was one of the best examples I could think of in terms of properly adapting a comic book to the big screen.

explain that cuz to me it's an alright adaptation from comic to screen.