DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/583016-superman-man-steel-d-snyder.html)

Jules Winfield 07-23-12 04:07 PM

Re: Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 11318772)

Does he do the same thing when trimming his pubes?:confused:

Groucho 07-23-12 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield (Post 11319243)
Does he do the same thing when trimming his pubes?:confused:

Seems like an unnecessary risk. He probably has Zod or Supergirl do that for him.

Solid Snake 07-23-12 04:22 PM

i'm pretty sure the DC women like bush.

kgrogers1979 07-23-12 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11319261)
Seems like an unnecessary risk. He probably has Zod or Supergirl do that for him.

More likely Jimmy Olsen shaved his pubes for him that time Superman was exposed to pink kryptonite. That's probably the first and last time Superman ever attempted shaving his pubes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...supergirl3.jpg

Groucho 07-23-12 04:38 PM

Turns out the "pink kryptonite" was just a random piece of rose quartz he stumbled upon. :eek:

Numanoid 07-23-12 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 11318794)
Would be so badass if you see heat vision shaving.

No, no it wouldn't. The heat vision thing is ridiculous. Ever burnt your beard off? Yeah, it's not like shaving. Ask Richard Pryor. Also, since the source of the heat vision is Superman, it would hurt him. A simple hunk of Kryptonian steel used as a blade would be all you need.

Groucho 07-23-12 04:50 PM

Kryptonian steel? That's ridiculous, the planet is crystals all the way down.

kgrogers1979 07-23-12 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 11319323)
No, no it wouldn't. The heat vision thing is ridiculous. Ever burnt your beard off? Yeah, it's not like shaving. Ask Richard Pryor. Also, since the source of the heat vision is Superman, it would hurt him. A simple hunk of Kryptonian steel used as a blade would be all you need.

As silly as burning your hair off with heat is, Kryptonian steel wouldn't break through Superman's invulnerability. Kryptonians normally are not superpowered. They are as normal as Earth people. The Kryptonian sun is red, and Kryptonians get their powers from a yellow sun, like the Earth sun. So on Krypton, nothing and nobody is superpowered. There is nothing special about Kryptonian steel.

"Realistically" the only way for Superman to shave would be to depower himself. Either by flying far enough away from the yellow Earth sun or exposing himself to red kryptonite every time he needs to shave.

redrum 07-23-12 05:23 PM

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnKCsW7IXLA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnKCsW7IXLA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Shannon Nutt 07-23-12 05:43 PM

^ THAT'S the trailer they should have released in theaters. What was Warners thinking with the rather lame version? I understand not wanting to show TOO much...but come on!

wm lopez 07-23-12 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11319401)
^ THAT'S the trailer they should have released in theaters. What was Warners thinking with the rather lame version? I understand not wanting to show TOO much...but come on!

Since we all have seen plenty of flying superheros these past few years it's going to be hard to make a good trailer.

Giantrobo 07-23-12 07:17 PM

Wow, that new costume really looks good onscreen.

Supermallet 07-23-12 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11319401)

100%. That was a crappy bootleg but it's got me far more excited than the official trailer.

Paul_SD 07-23-12 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 11319531)
Wow, that new costume really looks good onscreen.

the cape looks sensational. The way it falls, and billows looks perfect to me. And I realize that is nowhere near an easy thing to accomplish as it would seem.
Material, size, texture, construction all look to me vastly superior to what they used with the Chris Reeves costume and adds beautifully to the visual impact of the character.
Just as I think the loss of red in the midsection is a big mistake (from a design sense), the choices made with the cape make for a huge win overall.
Thankfully the cape is going to be far more prominent than the trunk area will in most scenes- so at least they got that significant an aspect right.

Sonic 07-23-12 08:51 PM

The scene where Superman is thrown into a bank...his costume colors in that shitty quality trailer comes through, in HD that costume must really shine.

RocShemp 07-23-12 09:21 PM

I agree. The colors look fantastic. I'm so glad they're not going for the drab Superman Returns look.

DJariya 07-23-12 09:31 PM

Damn, that Comic Con trailer even though it was a crappy bootleg looked pretty good.

I agree, that was definitely the one they should have shown in the theatres. When I went to see The Dark Knight Rises today, they showed that vague one with Russell Crowe's voice-over.

Solid Snake 07-23-12 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11319725)
I agree. The colors look fantastic. I'm so glad they're not going for the drab Superman Returns look.

Ugh. I've always hated the whole color palette of that film.

wm lopez 07-24-12 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11319777)
Ugh. I've always hated the whole color palette of that film.

Agree.

islandclaws 07-24-12 10:24 AM

Bootleg quality aside, the Comic Con teaser was worlds better.

Mr. Cinema 07-24-12 10:42 AM

Was that a quick close-up of Zod around 1:36? Looked like he and Superman colliding at 1:37.

The footage from that Comic Con trailer was fantastic. This definitely looks better than the bleak Superman Returns, although that movie still had the exciting airplane rescue. I'm sure Snyder will be able to give us some sequences on that level or greater.

Solid Snake 07-24-12 01:46 PM

That was a close up of Zod. I couldn't exactly tell wtf Superman was flying at at 1:37. I've watched that trailer from my phone.

EDIT: nvm...that looks like Zod for sure.

redrum 07-24-12 01:54 PM

That one shot looks like the army down on one knee with Supes infront of them in the distance

Solid Snake 07-24-12 02:17 PM

The other video is done. Here's another of the same:

<iframe width="520" height="415" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jSP49Sjj7lc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Numanoid 07-24-12 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11319344)
As silly as burning your hair off with heat is, Kryptonian steel wouldn't break through Superman's invulnerability. Kryptonians normally are not superpowered. They are as normal as Earth people. The Kryptonian sun is red, and Kryptonians get their powers from a yellow sun, like the Earth sun. So on Krypton, nothing and nobody is superpowered. There is nothing special about Kryptonian steel.

"Realistically" the only way for Superman to shave would be to depower himself. Either by flying far enough away from the yellow Earth sun or exposing himself to red kryptonite every time he needs to shave.

I disagree. Material from Krypton should have the same "molecular density" and "specific radiation" (to use the movie terms), as Kal-El, so he should be able to use them in the same way that an Earth man uses Earth steel (or whatever). Kryptonian metal (or crystal) should cut right through his Krptyonian hair. Seems a lot more plausible, and far less comical, than using heat vision.