DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The National Board Of Review Best of 2010 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/582924-national-board-review-best-2010-a.html)

Daytripper 12-02-10 02:48 PM

The National Board Of Review Best of 2010

The National Board Of Review kicked off the critics' awards with their winners today. As I scooped earlier today, Sony Pictures' The Social Network won Best Film Of 2010, Best Director for David Fincher, Best Adapted Screenplay for Aaron Sorkin, and Best Actor for Jesse Eisenberg. Another Year's Lesley Manville captured Best Actress. Christian Bale won Best Supporting Actor for Paramount/Relativity's The Fighter and Jacki Weaver won Best Actress for Animal Kingdom. The NBR is traditionally the first group to announce its annual film honors during awards season but is not necessarily considered a reliable arbiter of things to come since its membership is not confined to professional critics. The annual gala will be held January 11th. Here are all the winners:

Best Film: The Social Network (Sony Pictures)
Best Director: David Fincher, The Social Network
Best Actor: Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
Best Actress: Lesley Manville, Another Year
Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale, The Fighter (Paramount/Relativity)
Best Supporting Actress: Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom
Best Foreign Language Film: Of Gods and Men
Best Documentary: Waiting for “Superman”
Best Animated Feature: Toy Story 3
Best Ensemble Cast: The Town
Breakthrough Performance: Jennifer Lawrence, Winter’s Bone
Debut Directors: Sebastian Junger and Tim Hetherington, Restrepo
Spotlight Award: Sylvain Chomet and Jacques Tati, The Illusionist
Best Original Screenplay: Chris Sparling, Buried
Best Adapted Screenplay: Aaron Sorkin, The Social Network
Special Filmmaking Achievement Award: Sofia Coppola for writing, directing, and producing Somewhere
William K. Everson Film History Award: Leonard Maltin
NBR Freedom of Expression: Fair Game, Conviction, Howl
Production Design Award: Dante Ferretti, Shutter Island

Ten Best Films (in alphabetical order)
Another Year
The Fighter
Hereafter
Inception
The King’s Speech
Shutter Island
The Town
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter’s Bone

Five Best Foreign-Language Films (in alphabetical order)
I Am Love
Incendies
Life, Above All
Soul Kitchen
White Material

Five Best Documentaries (in alphabetical order)
A Film Unfinished
Inside Job
Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work
Restrepo
The Tillman Story

Top Ten Independent Films: (in alphabetical order)
Animal Kingdom
Buried
Fish Tank
The Ghost Writer
Greenberg
Let Me In
Monsters
Please Give
Somewhere
Youth in Revolt

“This year the NBR honored The Social Network, as well as its director David Fincher, lead actor Jesse Eisenberg and screenwriter Aaron Sorkin. We believe the film portrays a dramatic story that will stand up over time and appeal to many generations,” said NBR President Annie Schulhof. “The NBR screened over 250 films this year, from big studios to small independents, and I think our winners reflect the diversity and goal of the organization, which is to honor excellence in filmmaking. We look forward to celebrating with all our talented honorees on the evening of January 11th and are very pleased to welcome back last year’s host Meredith Vieira.”

This year the National Board of Review, a select group of film enthusiasts, academics, film professionals, and students, screened over 250 films including studio, independent, foreign-language, animated and documentary selections. These screenings were frequently followed by in-depth discussions with filmmakers, directors, actors, producers, and screenwriters. The NBR was founded as a clearing house for new movies, over a hundred years ago on January 25, 1909, just 13 years after the birth of cinema. Its stated purpose was to endorse films of merit and champion the new “art of the people,” which was transforming America’s cultural life. Today, the organization is comprised of 110 members, many of whom are past recipients of the NBR student grant program which enables students and young filmmakers to finish their projects and exhibit their work.

Each January, the NBR hosts talented and prestigious members of the film community at its awards gala, honoring achievements in a variety of categories of film, direction, and performance. In addition, the NBR recognizes new voices in filmmaking with its Directorial Debut and Breakthrough Acting Awards and singles out a deserving individual in the film community with The William K. Everson Film History Award, in honor of the pioneering film historian, educator, author, and longtime NBR member.

The 2010 NBR Awards will be hosted by Meredith Vieira on January 11, 2011 at Cipriani’s 42nd St. in New York City. Once again, the accounting firm of Lutz & Carr, LLP tabulated the voting ballots.

RichC2 12-02-10 02:53 PM

Re: The National Board Of Review Best of 2010

Youth In Revolt? Really? Surprised to see Shutter Island and Hereafter in the Top 10 as well, and a complete lack of love for 127 Hours.

Otherwise - a total and complete lovefest for Social Network. Also recently saw Restrepo and :up: to that being there.

PopcornTreeCt 12-02-10 04:18 PM

Nothing for Black Swan?

JumpCutz 12-02-10 05:50 PM

The Social Network cleans up. Well deserved. :thumbsup:

Supermallet 12-02-10 06:25 PM

Inception in the year's ten best films? Don't think so.

bootsy 12-02-10 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10523827)
Inception in the year's ten best films? Don't think so.

Are there any movies you do like? Inception without a doubt is one of the ten best. I guess it was overrated because it made a lot of money. ;)

Supermallet 12-02-10 09:34 PM

I hope that's a reference to the SPR vs. TRL thread. :)

I like plenty of movies. Inception is not among them. Several of the others on their list would make it into my top 10, though.

I also notice that Monsters is on that list for best independent. That's an even worse choice than Inception.

bootsy 12-02-10 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10524144)
I hope that's a reference to the SPR vs. TRL thread. :)

I like plenty of movies. Inception is not among them. Several of the others on their list would make it into my top 10, though.

I also notice that Monsters is on that list for best independent. That's an even worse choice than Inception.

Yeah it is. Just giving you hard time. Anyway, I understand Inception is not for everyone but it is tied for my favorite movie this year with The Social Network. I saw it 3 times opening weekend and can't wait for the Blu-Ray next week. I am surprised Shutter Island made it even though I liked that movie too.

Supermallet 12-02-10 09:54 PM

I thought Shutter Island was way better than Inception. I saw Inception twice, thinking that it might take multiple viewings to really grasp it, but it actually made me like the movie even less.

Interestingly, three of my top ten movies this year are animated: Toy Story 3, How To Train Your Dragon, and Tangled.

Currently, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and The Social Network are tied for the top spot, but I'm going to hold final judgement until I see True Grit and Black Swan.

bootsy 12-02-10 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10524194)
I thought Shutter Island was way better than Inception. I saw Inception twice, thinking that it might take multiple viewings to really grasp it, but it actually made me like the movie even less.

Interestingly, three of my top ten movies this year are animated: Toy Story 3, How To Train Your Dragon, and Tangled.

Currently, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and The Social Network are tied for the top spot, but I'm going to hold final judgement until I see True Grit and Black Swan.

Those are two must sees for me along with 127 Hours. I need to see all those so I can get a true grasp of what is the best of the year.

Supermallet 12-02-10 11:06 PM

Oh yeah, I still need to see 127 Hours.

MrSmearkase 12-02-10 11:06 PM

/\ Same for me, although I'm adding The Fighter to that list.

bootsy 12-02-10 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10524350)
/\ Same for me, although I'm adding The Fighter to that list.

That too. Man I got a lot to see.

Throwing Copper 12-03-10 03:21 AM

Shutter Island in there is ridiculous. Certain people make fun of grammy lists etc, but this bullshit is bad as well.

And keep Toy Story 3 in the animated category. Enough of this stuff with cartoons being put in with live action films.

Drexl 12-03-10 05:59 AM

I don't get the love for The Social Network. I thought it wasn't bad, but best of the year?

RichC2 12-03-10 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 10524539)
Shutter Island in there is ridiculous. Certain people make fun of grammy lists etc, but this bullshit is bad as well.

And keep Toy Story 3 in the animated category. Enough of this stuff with cartoons being put in with live action films.

I'm all for animated movies being nominated as Best Picture if they're good enough. Toy Story 3 was a good movie, but didn't really stand out above other animated fare this year.

Shutter Island was good but forgettable. Inception was easily the best big budget ($100m+ budget) movie of the year (the only real competition being Potter 7.1 which I wasn't a big fan of), and while I'm not sure where it'd land in my top 10, it'd most likely be there. Still have a lot left to see this year though.

I have no problem with Social Network being at the top, great movie.

B5Erik 12-03-10 09:31 AM

True Grit makes their Top 10. Interesting...

RichC2 12-03-10 09:41 AM

True Grit thus far is getting pretty fantastic reviews - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/true-grit-2010/

foofighters7 12-03-10 11:58 AM

I really thought 127 Hours wasn't all THAT great. It was good, but Great? Not even close. Good performance by Franco but as a film it just didn't live up to the hype.

Hokeyboy 12-03-10 12:07 PM

Danny Boyle is on my shitlist for the insulting, manipulative, and thoroughly execrable "Slumdog Millionaire". I refuse to see "127 Hours" out of general principle.

I have no problem with "The Social Network" being top film though, but to be fair I haven't seen True Grit, Black Swan, The Fighter, or Winter's Bone yet. Heh. "Bone".

raven56706 12-03-10 12:37 PM

Social Network is well deserved...

islandclaws 12-03-10 12:42 PM

Shutter Island for production design? Ok...

Monsters wasn't perfect, but I think it deserves some recognition considering what was achieved with such a limited budget.

Giles 12-03-10 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10524584)
I don't get the love for The Social Network. I thought it wasn't bad, but best of the year?

I agree, I was entertained, but 'best' - not by a long stretch.

Wazootyman 12-03-10 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10525086)
Danny Boyle is on my shitlist for the insulting, manipulative, and thoroughly execrable "Slumdog Millionaire". I refuse to see "127 Hours" out of general principle.

I have no problem with "The Social Network" being top film though, but to be fair I haven't seen True Grit, Black Swan, The Fighter, or Winter's Bone yet. Heh. "Bone".

I wasn't a fan of Slumdog (though I didn't have the vitriol you do for it) but 127 Hours was absolutely amazing.

I don't get the love for Social Network either. It was servicable, but nothing amazing.

Supermallet 12-03-10 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10525152)
Shutter Island for production design? Ok...

Monsters wasn't perfect, but I think it deserves some recognition considering what was achieved with such a limited budget.

I could make a phenomenally boring movie on an even smaller budget, which is all Monsters was able to achieve, imo.

After seeing Black Swan I think it's absurd it didn't make the list.