Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kubrick explains the ending of 2001

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-27-10, 09:16 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

You begin with an artifact left on earth four million years ago by extraterrestrial explorers who observed the behavior of the man-apes of the time and decided to influence their evolutionary progression. Then you have a second artifact buried deep on the lunar surface and programmed to signal word of man’s first baby steps into the universe—a kind of cosmic burglar alarm. And finally there’s a third artifact placed in orbit around Jupiter and waiting for the time when man has reached the outer rim of his own solar system.

When the surviving astronaut, Bowman, ultimately reaches Jupiter, this artifact sweeps him into a force field or star gate that hurls him on a journey through inner and outer space and finally transports him to another part of the galaxy, where he’s placed in a human zoo approximating a hospital terrestrial environment drawn out of his own dreams and imagination. In a timeless state, his life passes from middle age to senescence to death. He is reborn, an enhanced being, a star child, an angel, a superman, if you like, and returns to earth prepared for the next leap forward of man’s evolutionary destiny.

That is what happens on the film’s simplest level. Since an encounter with an advanced interstellar intelligence would be incomprehensible within our present earthbound frames of reference, reactions to it will have elements of philosophy and metaphysics that have nothing to do with the bare plot outline itself.
http://www.dangerousminds.net/commen...ins_what_2001/

so there you go.
Old 11-27-10, 09:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Kubrick explains the ending of 2001

Glad that Kubrick came back from the dead to give an interview on something we all already knew.
Old 11-27-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for sharing this breaking news with us.
Old 11-27-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want some 10mg Lortabs, you bastard.
Old 11-27-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My God...it all makes sense now.
Old 11-27-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Nah ... still haven't acquired a taste for Kubrick.
Old 11-28-10, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,093 Likes on 790 Posts

I'd like to get Stan to explain Moonraker.
Old 11-28-10, 07:37 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

This is the only part I don't get:
and returns to earth prepared for the next leap forward of man’s evolutionary destiny.
Unless you'd seen 2010, how do you get that Bowman returned to Earth from the ending of 2001? All they show is the baby/planet as a new entity in the universe, they don't show him returning to Earth or even imply it as far as I'm concerned. -kd5-
Old 11-28-10, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He doesn't return to old earth he becomes the new earth and he poops out reality in its most advanced state.
Old 11-28-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5
This is the only part I don't get:

Unless you'd seen 2010, how do you get that Bowman returned to Earth from the ending of 2001? All they show is the baby/planet as a new entity in the universe, they don't show him returning to Earth or even imply it as far as I'm concerned. -kd5-
Because that's what the novel says. In fact everything in that interview is from the novel, except in Clarke's version Bowman's room at the end is based upon a TV soap opera that was playing when the lunar monolisth was uncovered.
Old 11-28-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Ugh. I hate novelizations.
Old 11-28-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I thought Arthur C. Clarke once said that Kubrick admitted to him that the ending he created essentially didn't mean anything at all (i.e. he had no idea what it was supposed to mean), but he thought it was strange enough that people would be making crazy theories about what really happened. Or is that bunk?
Old 11-28-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
The 2nd to last shot of the movie is Bowman/Starchild hovering over Earth.
Old 11-28-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Glad that Kubrick came back from the dead to give an interview on something we all already knew.
In the link it says the interview was from 1969...

At any rate, that's pretty much everyone's interpretation of the film, though I don't like the "zoo" thing, and prefer to think that Bowman was pulled out of regular space/time by the Monolith (or its creators) and given an experience he couldn't comprehend, much like what the apes in the beginning went through examining the Monolith, where they were confronted with this thing that was alien and unnatural to them.

In essence, we modern humans could sort of understand the Monolith at the beginning, at least we could describe it, measure it, or even create a lookalike, but all of those things were a few thousand years beyond the mind of the primitive hominids. Similarly, Bowman was shown things beyond the grasp of his and the audience's minds, preparing him and the human race and, by extension, the audience for the next step.
Old 11-28-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rizor
Originally Posted by kd5
The 2nd to last shot of the movie is Bowman/Starchild hovering over Earth.
In 2010 the Starchild/Bowman is never shown anywhere near Earth. He seems to be living on or near Jupiter or the Monolith. Nobody in that movie seems to know what happened to the crew other than Bowman's "My God, it's full of stars," transmission that was never shown in 2001, and they don't seem to be aware of any Starchild entity.

I still like 2010, though.
Old 11-28-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's only in the beginning as he does come back later on.
Old 11-28-10, 04:23 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

At any rate, that's pretty much everyone's interpretation of the film, though I don't like the "zoo" thing, and prefer to think that Bowman was pulled out of regular space/time by the Monolith (or its creators) and given an experience he couldn't comprehend, much like what the apes in the beginning went through examining the Monolith, where they were confronted with this thing that was alien and unnatural to them.

In essence, we modern humans could sort of understand the Monolith at the beginning, at least we could describe it, measure it, or even create a lookalike, but all of those things were a few thousand years beyond the mind of the primitive hominids. Similarly, Bowman was shown things beyond the grasp of his and the audience's minds, preparing him and the human race and, by extension, the audience for the next step.
Sounds about as good as any interpretation I've heard, good enough to settle for... -kd5-
Old 11-28-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At any rate, that's pretty much everyone's interpretation of the film
Right, because anyone who has read the book (which was written alongside the screenplay) knows that is exactly how it is explained.

Also, we DO see Bowman return to Earth at the end of the film. And if I remember the book correctly, he arrives just in time to stop a nuclear war.

Old 11-28-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,257 Likes on 837 Posts

And here I thought that the baby at the end had been kidnapped by the Vogon Constructor Fleet.
Old 11-29-10, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Fuck 2001, someone dig up Stan and have him explain the ending to The Shining.
Old 11-29-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Right, because anyone who has read the book (which was written alongside the screenplay) knows that is exactly how it is explained.

Also, we DO see Bowman return to Earth at the end of the film. And if I remember the book correctly, he arrives just in time to stop a nuclear war.

Yes, but I was referring to the film 2010, where there is no indication that the Starchild/Bowman actually did anything on Earth, or even did anything more than hover over it in space for thirty seconds.

The novel 2001 ends with the Starchild arriving at Earth, and (I think) destroys the orbiting nuclear weapon seen at the beginning and removes the clouds from the sky. The novel tells us that he is now master of the Earth, and doesn't know what he will do next, but like the ape at the beginning of the story, he would think of something. The film 2001 doesn't go that far, and the novel 2010 doesn't really pick up that thread either. Though I don't think Clarke's four novels, 2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001, are direct sequels to each other and should be read as standalone novels that share common characters and themes than an actual series.
Old 11-29-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like many unplanned sequels, the story had to be retconned in order for the sequel to make sense (lord knows that Star Wars is the king of that domain). While 2010 is a great sci-fi flick, it should kind of stand alone itself. There is more than one continuity error with 2001, (Heywood Floyd declaring that he "didn't know" that HAL had been told to lie being a glaring one, despite the fact that it's him explaining it all in the tape at the end of 2001).
Old 11-29-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Ugh. I hate novelizations.
That's okay, the book isn't a novelization of the movie. It's an alternate form of the story that Clarke wrote simultaneously with the script.
Old 11-29-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Having never read the book if I knew that floating baby had some sort of new power and interaction with 'Earth' I might have understood the connection to humaniods and bone tools/weapons. As it stands I recall watching 2001 and coming away not liking the film at all. I literally thought it was much about nothing and couldn't understand for the life of my why it was always regarded so highly.
Old 11-29-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In 2010 the Starchild/Bowman is never shown anywhere near Earth. He seems to be living on or near Jupiter or the Monolith. Nobody in that movie seems to know what happened to the crew other than Bowman's "My God, it's full of stars," transmission that was never shown in 2001, and they don't seem to be aware of any Starchild entity.

I still like 2010, though.
Bowman does visit the Earth in 2010. In the film, the Monolith shoots off a strange ball of light towards Earth, and then we get several scenes of Bowman visiting his mother and Poole's widow (or maybe it's Poole's mother and Bowman's widow; it's been a while since I watched the movie).

In the novel, all that happens, but we also get a slightly tweaked version of the last chapter of 2001 showing Bowman approaching Earth and blowing up the orbital nuclear platform. IIRC, the implication is that Bowman had spent the intervening nine years in the Galactic Hotel, and was sent back to our solar system because of the Leonov mission.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.