Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paranormal Activity 3 - 10/21/11

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Paranormal Activity 3 - 10/21/11

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 (CATFISH directors Joost/Schulman) >> 10/21/2011

Because it relies heavily on surprising the viewer with shock visuals (i.e. the scene in PA2 where all the drawers and cabinets in the kitchen popped open). I just feel that adding 3D could give them more to work with visually.
Old 05-06-11, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by The O
Whenever I read someone questioning a short production schedule, I think of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2, which started shooting in late May of 1986 and was out on August 22nd.
And that movie kicked and still kicks ass!
Old 05-06-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Never saw Paranormal Activity 2. I liked the first one to an extent but it really didn't feel like a movie that needed a sequel (other than to cash in obviously).
Old 05-06-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Really? Another one?
PA1 Budget $15,000
PA1 Global Gross $193M

PA2 Budget $3M
PA2 Global Gross $177M

And you're surprised they're making another one? The profit on these practically bankrolled Thor and Transformers 3 on their own!
Old 05-07-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh god, we finally get rid of the Saw series and now this takes it's place. I predict that the ghost is going to be exorcised in the 3rd one and then it will carry on for 4 more movies.
Old 05-12-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Never saw Paranormal Activity 2. I liked the first one to an extent but it really didn't feel like a movie that needed a sequel (other than to cash in obviously).
I don't want to say you're missing out because the two movies are obviously very similar but I thought PA2 was better than the first... more visuals and more anxiousness than the first one. Plus there were more characters to fuck around with. But what I really liked was how the story of the first and second were linked together so much so that IMO PA2 made PA1 better.
Old 05-13-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rather see Cabin in the Woods.
Old 07-21-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<object width="450" height="305"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/42871"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/42871" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="305" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 07-21-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

I still haven't seen part 2 but 3 looks like a decent late night rental.

Spoiler:
The "Bloody Mary" shot at the end of the trailer looked pretty freaky!
Old 07-21-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

This looks like fun, loved the

Spoiler:
Bloody Mary bit
Old 07-21-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Son of a bitch. I hate to laud sequels.

I loved the first two, I'll definitely see this.

For some reason these films totally work for me. I hope the third one measures up.
Old 07-21-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how I feel about this being a prequel (though I'm sure it'll end up being a hybrid like the last one), but I approve of the 1988 setting.
Old 07-21-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I dunno.

I am a huge fan and defender of the first two, but this trailer really did very little for me.

And I thought it was like some ancient, horned, fire and brimstone demon going after them. I really hope this entire haunting thing didn't start because
Spoiler:
they said bloody marry 3 times in front of a mirror.
Old 07-21-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I loved the first one, but still havent gotten myself to watch number 2. I really want to, but the first one really messed with my head.

I can count on one hand the number of movies that have actually frightened me, and the first one is one of them.
Old 07-21-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

So, anyone going to go home tonight and
Spoiler:
say "bloody mary" 3 times into a dark mirror?
Old 07-21-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
So, anyone going to go home tonight and
Spoiler:
say "bloody mary" 3 times into a dark mirror?
Yeah, right after I
Spoiler:
say "candyman" 3 times!!!
Old 07-21-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

For some reason these films totally work for me. I hope the third one measures up.
Same here. Total guilty pleasure movies.

I'm not a huge fan of it being a prequel (or prequels in general), but hopefully they'll at the very least address or acknowledge what happened after the end of PA2 in some way.
Old 07-21-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lopper
Same here. Total guilty pleasure movies.

I'm not a huge fan of it being a prequel (or prequels in general), but hopefully they'll at the very least address or acknowledge what happened after the end of PA2 in some way.
I really hope so.

It would be a bit of a dick move, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if this was entirely a prequel and to see a continuation of PA2, we'll have to watch PA4 in Oct of 2012.

A side note, but something has been sort of sitting in the back of my head since I watched the trailer...Is it just me, or does body shape and stance of
Spoiler:
the Bloody Mary figure
resemble adult Katie from the first two movies? I know that's me completely looking for something that probably isn't there, but that is the same basic stance she had
Spoiler:
basically anytime she was possessed by the demon.

Yeah, I realize that would be some weird time travel shit. I just analyze stuff too much.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 07-21-11 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-21-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by woofman
Yeah, right after I
Spoiler:
say "candyman" 3 times!!!
Pshhh, some fan you are. It was 5 times.

Old 07-21-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Guess this is a viral site for the movie:

http://www.darrenstimelessmemories.com/
Old 07-21-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

Yup, this is the first time ever where I hope these films turn into a whorefest like the saw movies did - I loved parts one and two and while I did like that trailer for 3....I'm really hoping they can pull it off again.
Old 07-21-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's my problem: if this ends up being a full-on prequel, fuck everyone involved with this franchise.

Spoiler:
In Paranormal Activity 2, dumbass Micah was present when Katie and Kristi were talking about their "troubled" past. This is of course contradicts the events of the first film where Micah knows nothing. If this is in fact a prequel, nobody (i.e. the police as there was some time between the murder of Micah and the murder of Kristi and her husband) decided to check out the family tapes sooner? Or, better yet, nobody remembers (not even Katie or Kristi) that they would videotape themselves and see demons? Ugh.

Shit upon the Saw franchise all you want, at least their series had an established sense of continuity through most of the entries. For a majority of the outings, it didn't feel like they were making things up as they went along.
Old 07-21-11, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Here's my problem: if this ends up being a full-on prequel, fuck everyone involved with this franchise.

Spoiler:
In Paranormal Activity 2, dumbass Micah was present when Katie and Kristi were talking about their "troubled" past. This is of course contradicts the events of the first film where Micah knows nothing. If this is in fact a prequel, nobody (i.e. the police as there was some time between the murder of Micah and the murder of Kristi and her husband) decided to check out the family tapes sooner? Or, better yet, nobody remembers (not even Katie or Kristi) that they would videotape themselves and see demons? Ugh.

Shit upon the Saw franchise all you want, at least their series had an established sense of continuity through most of the entries. For a majority of the outings, it didn't feel like they were making things up as they went along.
Yeah, one of the things I loved about the Saw series was that even though they were making it up as they went along, for the most part it all was connected well enough that it almost felt like they had planned the whole thing out.

This does seem to contradict the first two quite a bit. I'll wait for some more footage until I get too judgmental though.
Old 07-21-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

Spoiler:

Just to be clear...I'm not shitting on the saw series...It's a money grubbing whorefest is all and there's nothing wrong with that as a lot of die hards loved every one of them.....While 3 may mess things up quite a bit...I don't care I love this series of films so far and at this point prob won't mind if they even get terrible.....well, MAYBE
Old 07-21-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
Just to be clear...I'm not shitting on the saw series...It's a money grubbing whorefest is all and there's nothing wrong with that as a lot of die hards loved every one of them.....While 3 may mess things up quite a bit...I don't care I love this series of films so far and at this point prob won't mind if they even get terrible.....well, MAYBE
It may have been a money grubbing whorefest, but at least the crew tried to keep the story consistent throughout the sequels (which may be due to the fact that most crew members started on the first or second film and stayed until the franchise's end).

Paramount hasn't been keeping this franchise consistent. They'll ruin this one just like they ruined Friday the 13th as they'll show it no respect. Each entry has exchanged writers, directors and producers (with the exception of Peli and his producing team). If the Saw franchisw was a whorefest, Paranormal Activity will be the bigger one due to the low cost to produce and distribute. The Saw sequels ended up costing $10 - $18 million to produce. These? Easily all will be under $10 million... and that's a high number for these kind of pictures.

Again, call it a whorefest, but Lionsgate/Twisted never kept exchanging writers and directors... well, except with the whole Saw 3D/Paranormal Activity 2 debacle.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.