Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Yates, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Yates, 2010) — The Reviews Thread
16.95%
25.42%
37.29%
13.56%
3.39%
0%
1.69%
0%
1.69%
0%
0%
I’d rather hang myself from the gallows then see Deathly Hallows.
0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-10, 06:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" (Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Bill Nighy, Julie Walters, Alan Rickman, Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter)

Release Date:
11/19/2010

Rating:
PG-13 (for sequences of intense action violence, wand fondling, spell regurgitating, Death Eater grinding, Potterhead pimple popping and pre-viewing cries that
Spoiler:
Snape kills Dumbledore
throughout.

Running Time:
146min. (2h. 26m.)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Voldemort's power is growing stronger. He now has control over the Ministry of Magic and Hogwarts. Harry, Ron, and Hermione decide to finish Dumbledore's work and find the rest of the Horcruxes to defeat the Dark Lord. But little hope remains for the Trio, and the rest of the Wizarding World, so everything they do must go as planned.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.3 (18,787 votes as of 11/22/10)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:162 Rotten:43 (79% as of 11/22/10)

Metacritic:
68 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 11/22/10)

Trailer:
<object width="450" height="235"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/24041"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/24041" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="235" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-17-10 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-16-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Yates, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Caught a sneak preview last night and I absolutely loved it. I liked how they started the movie with the 3 main characters, which was I guess the filmmakers' way of saying, "it's gonna be about this 3".

Spoiler:

I like that they showed Hermione Obliviating her parents' memories, because in the book it was just mentioned. Showing it made its weight on their overall endeavor that much heavier. The execution of the teacher at Malfoy Manor was well done as well. Creepy visual with her hanging in the air in that Last Exorcism pose. The escape from Privet drive was well done, although I would've preferred they went with the book by having the Death Eaters appear right as they left instead of while they were in the air already.

I'll never understand why the film makers have always played on the Harry/Hermione pairing. Everyone knows it's Ron and Hermione. No iota of misdirection will ever change that. I just don't understand it. I heard a pair of girls sitting next to my wife saying "Don't do it! Don't do it!" after Harry and Hermione's little dance routine (which I don't remember from the book and don't see the purpose of in this film).

The telling of The Three Brothers' story was one of the highlights of the film for me as well. The animation style they used was great. Dobby's death was heartbreaking and juxtaposed with Voldemort stealing the wand from Dumbledore's tomb made for a great ending.

One nitpick I have is that they show that Harry only grabbed Malfoy's wand from him instead of "winning" it duel-style, which, if you've read the book is the actual turning point of defeat for Voldemort. So now I'm wondering if they're going to change the ending a little bit to fit that "action" or lack thereof. Because when I read the book I thought it was absolutely brilliant that something so seemingly insignificant is what actually won the day for them and Harry's realization of it is one of my favorite parts.
Old 11-16-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Yates, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Just curious: What did you think of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (the film)? That was my favorite book in the series and my least favorite of the films with the number of things they cut out entirely that were CRUCIAL to the storyline and with the added fluff somehow finding it's way in.

I'm hoping this is a huge improvement. At the very least, it should have much better music (with an extraordinary composer stepping up to the plate).
Old 11-17-10, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
Just curious: What did you think of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (the film)? That was my favorite book in the series and my least favorite of the films with the number of things they cut out entirely that were CRUCIAL to the storyline and with the added fluff somehow finding it's way in.

I'm hoping this is a huge improvement. At the very least, it should have much better music (with an extraordinary composer stepping up to the plate).
Half-Blood Prince was an AWFUL movie.
Old 11-17-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, basically it was... I just liked it for the performances from the three leads, the cinematography, etc.

If die-hard Harry Potter book fans can look forward to more of the same with this film I'm going to be hugely let down. I just don't know if I could handle that. I'm hoping this will be truer to the book than any of the other films have even been. That doesn't seem too unreasonable with it being split in two parts.
Old 11-17-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this last night in a packed theater.

This is, by far, the best film of the series.

Before I continue, I must, must provide this caveat: don't read the book prior to seeing any of these movies. Too much is cut out and changed. I did it once, and am not doing it again. I like the book and the film to live in their own space.

So... yes, best film of the series. I'm shocked that it's still in the hands of the same director and screenwriter. Where the last movie (from what I remember) seemed like a combination wizard police procedural and magical teen comedy, this film finally not only gets the tone of the book right, but actually surpasses it.

(Again, note it is an improvement in tone, not plot, story, or characters.)

And I have to think that a large part of it is thanks to Alexandre Desplat, who in one fell swoop turns the music of the series into something conjured up by Hans Zimmer at his most mysterious. This, in turn, opens up the sound mixing and editing and let's the fights be explosive and effective. Magic wand tiffs have now gone from childish "pew pew pew" to crackling, thunderous matches. Add to this the fact that (finally) the movie can concentrate on mostly one plot and mostly just the three main characters, and it puts everything best about Harry Potter into high gear.

The audience cried and broke into applause at several points, signs that this may be the most successful Potter movie yet. At its best, it approaches Jackson's trilogy in near-flawless execution.

I bought the first few Potter movies but rarely had the desire to revisit them. This one I want to see tomorrow night again.

Just don't compare it to the book.

One postscript: there was more than one scene that definitely had 3D in mind. And in the bad jumping-at-the-camera sense. Thankfully, it's only a small handful, and they're scattered about enough that it never takes you out of the film.
Old 11-18-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is decent enough, but does the same things wrong as the other movies, where this doesn't feel like a film, it feels like a bunch of scenes and characters shoved into two and a half hours with a wisp of a plot holding it together. I was surprised by just how dark and serious this one is; may as well be called Harry Potter and the Deathly Serious Expressions. It starts out quite interesting, with Harry being rescued by pretty much everyone who's still alive at this point, only to be ambushed by evil beings riding plumes of black smoke. This is the template for the film: establish something interesting enough, say the "deatheaters" are on their way, then have the baddies bust up the party (at one point, literally), have everyone scatter and throw in at least one "No! We have to protect Harry!". Dashiell Hammett's school of screenwriting - when you've written yourself into a corner, have two deatheaters bust in the door. (On contrails of black smoke, which lose their effect quickly)

The bits with the new eeevil ministry of magic cracking down on anyone who isn't a pure wizard does all that you might expect - nazi overtones of racial superiority and concentration camp treatments, soviet propaganda references, even a nice "The Crucible"-type witch trial where it's clever that the accused is on trial because she's "not" a witch - but it's over all too quickly before we're into a long stretch in the middle where Harry, Potter and Ron hang out in the woods. For what must be an hour of the film. Well, at one point Ron leaves and it's just Harry and Hermione hanging out on the rocky outcrop from Pet Semetary for a long time. This bit includes a very awkward dance scene between Harry and Hermione who might be getting too close. It runs the gamut from off-putting to chuckle-inducing. As if the bit needed to be topped, Ron is shown an evil deceptive vision with Harry and Hermione covered in silver paint and kissing naked. It's bizarre.

Yates shoots the flick like all he's done since making the last one was watch Bourne movies and LOTR. The whole "holding the locket that holds evil" bit seems a bit too close to Frodo's burden and slow corruption and I'm STOPPING THIS SENTENCE RIGHT NOW

It wraps up as all movies that are pure second act must reluctantly do, and I'm sure the ending of this will have a lot of people comparing it to The Empire Strikes Back, but it's only ostensibly because the baddies seem to be winning. There's no punch to it or much feeling of dread. Whatever nastiness is coming in the next film, you know all someone has to do is point a wand at it and make it go away. Still, Helena Bonham Carter is brilliant - can I watch a film with just her character as this villain?

Also I think this is the first time I've seen a film that introduces a character as a deus ex machina, only to give said character a heartstring-tugging death scene a few minutes later. It's weird.

A last note - there's a bit where Hermione recounts the story of how the "deathly hallows" came to be, and it's animated in a style of bunraku-meets-cg that is simply gorgeous to watch.
Old 11-18-10, 04:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw it last night. Loved it. The only thing that would prevent it from being the best film in the series is that it's half a story. But Yates finally does away with his crushed, sepia-toned look that he used to use, and just about everything in the movie works. I cannot wait for the final part.
Old 11-18-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Saw it last night. Loved it. The only thing that would prevent it from being the best film in the series is that it's half a story. But Yates finally does away with his crushed, sepia-toned look that he used to use, and just about everything in the movie works. I cannot wait for the final part.
How is the level of violence? Is it equal to what the book had?
Old 11-18-10, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne

Also I think this is the first time I've seen a film that introduces a character as a deus ex machina, only to give said character a heartstring-tugging death scene a few minutes later. It's weird.
They shot themselves in the foot a little bit with this character because he has more presence in the books [his plot functions were transferred over to Neville in films 4 and 5] so his re-appearance in book 7 isn't as "out of the blue" as it must seem in film 7.
Old 11-18-10, 09:43 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by mhg83
How is the level of violence? Is it equal to what the book had?
Well, there are a few deaths and some wand fights. Not too much blood but it would probably scare younger children.
Old 11-19-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me (****1/2): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46793...allows-part-1/
Orndorf (****1/2): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46792...s-part-1-imax/
Jamie S. Rich (****): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46781...allows-part-1/
Old 11-19-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Bus
Saw this last night in a packed theater.

This is, by far, the best film of the series.

Before I continue, I must, must provide this caveat: don't read the book prior to seeing any of these movies. Too much is cut out and changed. I did it once, and am not doing it again. I like the book and the film to live in their own space.

So... yes, best film of the series. I'm shocked that it's still in the hands of the same director and screenwriter. Where the last movie (from what I remember) seemed like a combination wizard police procedural and magical teen comedy, this film finally not only gets the tone of the book right, but actually surpasses it.

(Again, note it is an improvement in tone, not plot, story, or characters.)

And I have to think that a large part of it is thanks to Alexandre Desplat, who in one fell swoop turns the music of the series into something conjured up by Hans Zimmer at his most mysterious. This, in turn, opens up the sound mixing and editing and let's the fights be explosive and effective. Magic wand tiffs have now gone from childish "pew pew pew" to crackling, thunderous matches. Add to this the fact that (finally) the movie can concentrate on mostly one plot and mostly just the three main characters, and it puts everything best about Harry Potter into high gear.

The audience cried and broke into applause at several points, signs that this may be the most successful Potter movie yet. At its best, it approaches Jackson's trilogy in near-flawless execution.

I bought the first few Potter movies but rarely had the desire to revisit them. This one I want to see tomorrow night again.

Just don't compare it to the book.

One postscript: there was more than one scene that definitely had 3D in mind. And in the bad jumping-at-the-camera sense. Thankfully, it's only a small handful, and they're scattered about enough that it never takes you out of the film.
Agreed on every point but one. I think this film will please those who thought the first 6 cut too much and/or deviated too much from the books. In almost every scene that deviated, I thought they made good choices except maybe the
Spoiler:
dancing scene
This was easily the most satisfying adaptation and possibly the best movie of the 7.

Edit to add: On second thought, the other deviation that was annoying was the implication of a Romantic relationship between Harry and Hermione.

Last edited by orangecrush; 11-19-10 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-19-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Edit to add: On second thought, the other deviation that was annoying was the implication of a Romantic relationship between Harry and Hermione.
I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how this is handled but I would consider it a welcome and logical addition to their characters' arcs.

They are 17. On the run for their lives and relying on each other. Feeling alone in the world. Both feeling betrayed by the same person. (He's heroic. She's hot.)

I recently listened to the audio-book and felt that JK Rowling missed an opportunity to do some realistic character work with Harry and Hermione during the long boring stretches of horcrux searching.
It had to occur to Rowling that putting H & H together (briefly) was a possibility. I wonder if she shied away from it because she still saw it as a children's book? In light of the Twilight series, it seems unusually timid.
Old 11-19-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm pretty sure JK Rowling didn't hook up Harry and Hermione for other reasons. Such as: Harry was never really into her like that. He saw her as more of a sister than anything else. Then there's the whole deal with Ron and Hermione having this thing going on between them since the beginning of the series.

I don't think it had anything to do with making the books 'tamer'.
Old 11-19-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw it today at a work event and enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought Half-Blood Prince was pretty mediocre or poor, so this was a great return to the series for me. Some awesome action, good heart wrenching moments, and this time the humor felt timed better versus all the silly romance stuff that killed the previous movie for me.

Also I agree with orangecrush.
Spoiler:
That dancing scene was dreadful.
Old 11-19-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GenPion
I'm pretty sure JK Rowling didn't hook up Harry and Hermione for other reasons. Such as: Harry was never really into her like that. He saw her as more of a sister than anything else. Then there's the whole deal with Ron and Hermione having this thing going on between them since the beginning of the series.

I don't think it had anything to do with making the books 'tamer'.
This isn't the thread to begin some sort of debate about this subject, and I don't want to do that anyways, but in terms of realistic characterization:

Harry might have always seen Hermione as a sister, but she is not his sister, and Harry certainly got over the familial feelings he had for Ginny.
In fact, Hermione as the muggle-born, empathetic, cleverest-of-her-age witch is a parallel to Lily Potter. So, Harry (who longs for his mother) would be attracted to that.

Hermione has been set up to be with Ron
Spoiler:
But Ron runs out on her, and
it would be normal for a hurt and stressed teenage girl to turn to another guy.

I just think that given their situation [repeating] 17, alone together, on the run. It would be realistic for them to find comfort in each others arms.

Plus I think Ron is a git.
Old 11-19-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am at a disadvantage, in that I heard Watson's explanation of the scene before I saw it, but the idea is that Harry is just trying to get his longtime friend to crack a smile, not that there is any romantic connection between the two of them. I thought it was a great moment.
Old 11-19-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

For me, the movies always made it seem like a Harry/Hermione relationship made more sense where as Ron/Hermione seemed more forced, but maybe that's just me. Ginny in the movies always felt non-existant.
Old 11-19-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I saw the midnight showing. Agree that it's the best adaptation of the series. It did seem like they held back on some sexual/violent scenes from the book.
Spoiler:
On Harry's birthday, Ginny comes close to having sex with Harry

and also
Spoiler:
The scene where Hermione is tortured was more violent and one of the werewolves is involved in the torture of Hermione

And
Spoiler:
Dumbledore's sister was beaten and possibly gang raped by the 3 muggle kids. All they say in the movie was how Dumbledores father nearly killed the muggle kids
Old 11-19-10, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I am at a disadvantage, in that I heard Watson's explanation of the scene before I saw it, but the idea is that Harry is just trying to get his longtime friend to crack a smile, not that there is any romantic connection between the two of them. I thought it was a great moment.
This is the way I interpreted the dance scene as well. It was merely a way to relieve some of the intense stress they were under. I saw no romantic or seductive undertones at all.

I give the movie 4 out of 5 stars
Old 11-19-10, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhg83
I saw the midnight showing. Agree that it's the best adaptation of the series. It did seem like they held back on some sexual/violent scenes from the book.
Spoiler:
On Harry's birthday, Ginny comes close to having sex with Harry

and also
Spoiler:
The scene where Hermione is tortured was more violent and one of the werewolves is involved in the torture of Hermione

And
Spoiler:
Dumbledore's sister was beaten and possibly gang raped by the 3 muggle kids. All they say in the movie was how Dumbledores father nearly killed the muggle kids
I think you are maybe reading too much sex into the books.
Old 11-19-10, 05:41 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
That's what I like about that scene. At first it clearly is Harry just trying to get Hermione's spirits up. But at the end, it almost becomes something else, before Hermione pulls away. And then later she makes the comment about how maybe they should just stay hidden and grow old together. Neither of these moments change the course of the story, but they do add depth to the characters and suggest a wider range of emotion than Rowling had given us. And that's what I like about the movie: It often relies on smaller moments to sell the story (while still providing the big action set pieces). It's a side effect of cutting the movie in twain that now each half can breath more. Makes me wish they had done the same for Goblet of Fire (and also gotten a director who didn't tell everyone to scream every line).
Old 11-19-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Saw it. Very well done, for being half a movie. I have to say this one pretty much eschews anything to make this a movie for kids. There's stuff in this that made me jump and wince, and I'm hard to get to do that! The three leads all gave solid performances, and I have to say the

Spoiler:
the beginning with Hermione doing the spell on her parents was brutal. I remember when I read the book and she mentioned that part I thought she was going to die, as she basically became someone who had nothing to lose. That didn't happen, but it really almost makes her the most tragic character of the three leads. I am also guessing a majority of the second half will be devoted the Battle for Hogwarts. Not that it was a huge part of the book, but movies never pass up the chance to have a massive battle sequence nowadays. My question that I cannot recall from the book is how Bellatrix and the others didn't really recognize Harry or the others? It seems if he was often in the company of those two, logic would dictate it was him in disguise. I seem to remember being confused by the book's approach as well.

Overall, this movie does its job and makes you anxious for the second half. A definite
Old 11-19-10, 08:55 PM
Banned by request

Dr. DVD, in regards to your question:

Spoiler:
As Bellatrix mentions, if they called Voldemort and it wasn't Harry for any reason, he'd kill them all. So even though they were reasonably sure it was Harry, they had to be 100% sure.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.