DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Theaters not giving option of 2D on 3D movies? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/581530-theaters-not-giving-option-2d-3d-movies.html)

Jonno2006 11-03-10 02:22 AM

Theaters not giving option of 2D on 3D movies?

I went to see Saw 3D today and while i didn't want to see it in 3D i didn't have a choice because there were no 2D option.

According to this http://www.cinemamontreal.com/showti...20/Saw_3D.html

There's only ONE theater in Montreal that has a 2D version!

Whatever happened to giving the consumer a choice? I know the movie is called Saw 3D(!!!) but still, give the consumer a choice! Is it because it had the 3D in the title? I don't want to see every single blockbuster in 3D dangit!

And what scares me the most is next summer, when theres going to be a truckload of 3D movies and theater owners want to make more money so why in the hell would they give the option of putting the same movie in 2D?

Same thing for Jackass 3D and Piranha 3D, i didn't have a choice to see them in 3D (to be fair both those movies were cool in 3D, it's only SAW that had really poor 3D)

Back when the craze started after Avatar i remember having the choice in 3D, i went to see Clash of the Titans in 2D. But now i don't see 2D fairing well in the coming months!

Next summer when theres gonna be a 3D movie coming out almost every week i really don't see the theater owners putting a 2D version of the same movie up against the 3D version and that frightens me!

Anyone else?

gmanca 11-03-10 02:26 AM

Re: Theaters not giving option of 2D on 3D movies?

I had mentioned that something like that, no 2D exhibitions, was planned for Captain America and Thor but the thought was it wouldn't happen. From the theater and movie company perspective, I don't see why they'd do 2D screenings because of the loss of revenue but on the flipside, I would like to see fees for 3D glasses go away which is common sense IMO as they are the big ripoff seeing as how the glasses get recycled so the cost is almost pure profit.

OldBoy 11-03-10 04:08 AM

seems perfectly logical. why give the consumer an option nowadays and show something at a lower price and thus lose revenue. theaters barely make any money as it is.

Matthew Chmiel 11-03-10 04:27 AM

Just looking at the showtimes for this weekend here in Vegas, and while this is not an accurate number as theaters are still currently putting up showings, it gives you a clear example...

Megamind (which will enter this weekend by being on more than 3,500 screens)
2D screens: 12 screens (across 12 theaters)
3D screens: 23 screens (across 11 theaters)

Saw (which will continue to be shown on 2,800 screens)
2D screens: 3 (across 3 theaters)
3D screens: 14 (across 10 theaters)

Jackass 3 (which will continue to be shown on 2,500+ screens)
2D screens: 6 (across 6 theaters)
3D screens: 8 (across 8 theaters)

In terms of Megamind and Jackass, Paramount will put them on as many screens as possible so available audiences can see them. Most will consist of 3D showings, but there are still plenty of 2D showings to choose from. As shown by the screen counts of Jackass, 2D counts for nearly 40% of the available showtimes out there.

In terms of Saw, Lionsgate released the film on slightly more than 2800 screens, but only 500 screens consisted of 2D showings. As per the weekend gross, more than 80% was accounted simply from the 3D showings.

Matthew Chmiel 11-03-10 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by gmanca (Post 10469862)
I had mentioned that something like that, no 2D exhibitions, was planned for Captain America and Thor but the thought was it wouldn't happen. From the theater and movie company perspective, I don't see why they'd do 2D screenings because of the loss of revenue but on the flipside, I would like to see fees for 3D glasses go away which is common sense IMO as they are the big ripoff seeing as how the glasses get recycled so the cost is almost pure profit.

I'm happy Marvel / Paramount didn't get their way with showing Thor / Captain America in 3D only. I can't stand post-converts as they're headache inducing experiences and I will be seeing them in 2D on release.

Boba Fett 11-03-10 04:46 AM

I think it's a slap in the face of people physically incapable of seeing the 3D.

EdTheRipper 11-03-10 07:00 AM

Piranha and My Soul to Take were only offered in 3-D at my local theater. Everything else has been offered in both 2-D and 3-D but with wildly varying start times.

resinrats 11-03-10 07:27 AM

Alpha & Omega (CGI Wolf movie) was only in 3D in local theaters. The plan backfired on them though. I didn't want to pay $10+ for a cartoon so I went to go see Inception instead. So instead of making at least $7, A&O made $0. Inception got $7 as a 'reward' for being in 2D.

Dan 11-03-10 09:43 AM

Calgary didn't have a single 2D showing of the new Saw film. Pretty sure it was the same for Piranha.

At this point, I won't bother with a 3D movie in the theatre unless I've done enough research to know it was actually filmed with the proper equipment. Not trying to slag on the "smaller" films that can't afford it. I'm just saying I want 2D as an option instead of paying an extra $3 for post-converted 3D.

islandclaws 11-03-10 10:15 AM

The theater I usually go to doesn't even make mention of which are or aren't 3D online or on the title board. Unless I ask, I usually just assume it's the 3D version. I so rarely see anything that comes out in 3D, though, that it hasn't been much of an issue.

Groucho 11-03-10 10:22 AM

Just wear an eyepatch under the glasses. Voila!

Draven 11-03-10 10:32 AM

I remember when this stupid craze started and I made the point that this would happen. The 3D defenders immediately said there would always be a 2D option available. Looks like a big problem to me.

The Bus 11-03-10 08:01 PM

Don't go to the 3D showings.

If you go, and complain, then you have no right to complain, as you keep funding 3D movies.

Jay G. 11-03-10 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 10471532)
Don't go to the 3D showings.

If you go, and complain, then you have no right to complain, as you keep funding 3D movies.

Best would be to not go, and complain.

Fist of Doom 11-03-10 10:56 PM

I went to Best Buy and there were no black-and-white TVs! Those bastards - what happened to consumer choice!

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 10469917)
I think it's a slap in the face of people physically incapable of seeing the 3D.

Sadly, with their lack of depth perception, those people never even saw the slap coming.

eXcentris 11-03-10 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom (Post 10471849)
I went to Best Buy and there were no black-and-white TVs! Those bastards - what happened to consumer choice!

Brilliant!

Spoiler:
If you are drunk or stoned, or both...

Jonno2006 11-04-10 01:48 AM

And it's going to get even worse this summer with Transformers and Green Lantern and all the animated movies and the two Marvel movies and Pirates of the Carribean and I'm sure I'm forgetting alot!

How in the hell is there going to be a 2D option with so many 3D movies clogging the theaters up?

I don't mind 3D but i would preferably only want to see the ones that were shot and meant to be in 3D (in IMAX too!) but for the converted ones i'd like to have the option of seeing them in 2D!

Jay G. 11-04-10 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno2006 (Post 10472018)
How in the hell is there going to be a 2D option with so many 3D movies clogging the theaters up?

Actually, having more 3D movies out at once increases the likelihood of 2D showings, since there's only a limited number of 3D screens. Right now, Saw 3D can grab a majority of 3D screens because there's no competition for those screens.

Matthew Chmiel 11-04-10 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 10472173)
Actually, having more 3D movies out at once increases the likelihood of 2D showings, since there's only a limited number of 3D screens. Right now, Saw 3D can grab a majority of 3D screens because there's no competition for those screens.

Which is why I think Jackass 3D is on a lot of 2D screens this coming weekend; because Megamind and Saw are combating for all the 3D screens in the country.

Anubis2005X 11-04-10 01:00 PM

Meh, just means I'll watch less movies in the theater and get the Blu-ray instead...

Jay G. 11-04-10 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 10472660)
Which is why I think Jackass 3D is on a lot of 2D screens this coming weekend; because Megamind and Saw are combating for all the 3D screens in the country.

I guess this means the longer a 3D movie has been in theaters, the more likely it is to appear on a 2D screen, as newer movies take over the 3D screens and the older ones get pushed over to other screens in the theater.

Deftones 11-04-10 01:43 PM

It would piss me off, but luckily I haven't had that experience yet. My local theater has 24 screens, and is never packed, so there are plenty of screens to spread around.

Alan Smithee 11-04-10 11:43 PM

I wish they always gave you the option of watching movies with mono sound, too.

Jonno2006 11-05-10 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 10473861)
I wish they always gave you the option of watching movies with mono sound, too.

You're comparing Stereo sound to 3D ?

3D is the future of movies and every movie should be seen in 3D?

I assume you're probably kidding around, but still! :p

Labor 11-05-10 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno2006 (Post 10474009)
You're comparing Stereo sound to 3D ?

3D is the future of movies and every movie should be seen in 3D?

I assume you're probably kidding around, but still! :p

Its a perfectly valid comparison actually.