DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Battle of the coolest gangster: Young Vito Corleone vs. Tony Montana (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/581096-battle-coolest-gangster-young-vito-corleone-vs-tony-montana.html)

FRwL 10-23-10 03:52 PM

Battle of the coolest gangster: Young Vito Corleone vs. Tony Montana

Let's do this, Vito from Godfather 2 vs. Tony from Scarface, the guys that you've probably thought about being at one point in your life.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-...c03-191689.jpg
"Sure she would like it, but who has money for a rug?"

http://www.artwallpapers.biz/movies/...ace2800600.jpg
"You wanna see something funny? watch that guy over there."

JumpCutz 10-23-10 04:00 PM

Re: Battle of the coolest gangster: Young Vito Corleone vs. Tony Montana

I voted for Vito.

But Jimmy Conway is my favorite movie gangster of all time.

http://www.gonemovies.com/www/Wanado...GoodJimmy2.jpg

OldBoy 10-23-10 04:01 PM

young Vito would have eaten Tony alive bc he wasn't on drugs and did things old school. of course Vito wouldn't actually do the violence, but his minions would and they would definitely leave the gun and take the cannoli while Tony would rather sniff the cannoli.

FRwL 10-23-10 04:05 PM

Jimmy was cool but too maniacal for me. I'll go with Vito too for his traditionalist ways.

RocShemp 10-23-10 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10447852)
Tony would rather sniff the cannoli.

Or lust after his sister. Although that was really toned down in the remake.

Ash Ketchum 10-23-10 05:21 PM

Vito died a peaceful death as an old man playing with his grandson and no regrets about anything he did. Tony died a young man with his nose full of coke and his body full of bullets with tons of enemies and a boatload of regrets. So it depends what you consider "cool."

mrhan 10-23-10 07:41 PM

I voted for Vito because he knew how to control himself. I never understood why Tony is idolized by so many kids today. He's a total fuck up who didn't know how to deal with people. Besides, if you wanted to be a successful criminal over a lifetime shouldn't you be a bit more subtle? I'm sure Tony didn't want to live a short life. He was obviously investing his money and putting it in the bank. Those aren't signs of someone who wanted to die young.

Supermallet 10-23-10 08:12 PM

Tony was a punk who got lucky. Vito was cool, controlled, methodical. There's no contest.

Boba Fett 10-23-10 08:43 PM

Tony was fairly small time and when he got a little too big for his place in life, he was eliminated. Vito owned Congressmen and ran cities.

FRwL 10-23-10 08:56 PM

Yeah but this is Young Vito vs. Tony when they're still comparable, not Old Vito vs. Tony's Skeleton.

mrhan 10-23-10 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by FRwL (Post 10448277)
Yeah but this is Young Vito vs. Tony when they're still comparable, not Old Vito vs. Tony's Skeleton.

Tony was an asshole from day one. When he was a dishwasher he was already talking shit. If I was Omar I would have shot Tony after I snorted the coke in the car. Seriously, if you were a criminal and some dumb ass dishwasher was talking shit to you wouldn't you show him who's boss? On the other hand, Vito kept his cool when Don Fanucci kept fucking with his crew. He didn't do anything in public to show he wanted to kill him. Vito is obviously the better criminal. From the beginning of each movie you already knew what type of person each character was going to be.

Solid Snake 10-23-10 10:24 PM

If it was a fist fight? Maybe Vito. I mean...we never saw him get physical. But those types of guys usually are someone that can still put up a fight. Just cuz they don't get dirty...don't mean they can't kick your ass.

Vito was the much better criminal. Vito Wins in that territory.

Why is Tony idolized? Probably because he started from nothing into something big and "powerful." While his demise was very very violent. He stood his ground (stupid as he was to even fuck up) and wasn't anybody's bitch even in the end. It's about that attitude of being your own man and etc. It ain't my bag of chips personally.

Charlie Goose 10-23-10 10:52 PM

Shit, even Fredo is cooler than Tony Montana.

JohnnyMovie 10-23-10 11:10 PM

I like both character and so I pick for Young Vito Corleone from The Godfather Part II

Supermallet 10-24-10 12:28 PM

What's funny is that Scarface is meant to be a morality tale. The rappers who idolize him don't seem to get that.

RocShemp 10-24-10 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10449124)
What's funny is that Scarface is meant to be a morality tale. The rappers who idolize him don't seem to get that.

Which is why that "Hip Hop Legend" documentary on my collector's edition DVD set made me laugh so hard when I watched it. :D

Groucho 10-24-10 12:42 PM

Vito Corleone. Pretty easy choice for me, as he's played by Robert "Heat" Deniro as opposed to Scarface who is played by Al "Righteous Kill" Pacino.

Dr. DVD 10-24-10 05:24 PM

Vito, no question there. Tony Montana didn't have the patience or self discipline to really persevere.

Supermallet 10-24-10 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10449159)
Vito Corleone. Pretty easy choice for me, as he's played by Robert "Heat" Deniro as opposed to Scarface who is played by Al "Righteous Kill" Pacino.

I always like seeing a Serious Groucho post. He makes such good points.

kstublen 10-24-10 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10449159)

:lol:

PopcornTreeCt 10-24-10 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 10448324)
Tony was an asshole from day one. When he was a dishwasher he was already talking shit. If I was Omar I would have shot Tony after I snorted the coke in the car. Seriously, if you were a criminal and some dumb ass dishwasher was talking shit to you wouldn't you show him who's boss? On the other hand, Vito kept his cool when Don Fanucci kept fucking with his crew. He didn't do anything in public to show he wanted to kill him. Vito is obviously the better criminal. From the beginning of each movie you already knew what type of person each character was going to be.

Speaking of Omar, coolest gangster without question.

inri222 10-24-10 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 10450503)
Speaking of Omar, coolest gangster without question.

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsA/21-16663.gif

Okay, all right, big man! You want to make some big bucks?
Let's see how tough you are.
You know something about cocaine?
DIGAME!

PixyJunket 10-26-10 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10448230)
Tony was a punk who got lucky. Vito was cool, controlled, methodical. There's no contest.

Bingo.

FRwL 10-26-10 04:30 PM

Too bad Omar was a rat which makes him the lowest of the lows in the gangster code.

wm lopez 10-26-10 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 10448184)
I voted for Vito because he knew how to control himself. I never understood why Tony is idolized by so many kids today. He's a total fuck up who didn't know how to deal with people. Besides, if you wanted to be a successful criminal over a lifetime shouldn't you be a bit more subtle? I'm sure Tony didn't want to live a short life. He was obviously investing his money and putting it in the bank. Those aren't signs of someone who wanted to die young.

The kids today are not brought up with fathers so they don't know how to be a man. They only know the streets and the quick dollar and if they have a kid that's the girl's problem. Note also that the kids who idolize Tony are into hip-hop rap culture.