Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Friday the 13th

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which franchise do you like best? Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th
42.31%
A Nightmare on Elm Street
51.28%
I can't pick, both are equally good/bad.
6.41%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

A Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Friday the 13th

Old 10-25-10, 08:54 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Friday the 13th

The difference between the 2 series for me: When the NOES series is bad (lame Freddy lines, overlong stupid nightmare sequences, etc.), it's kinda excruciating and not much fun to watch. When the F13 series is bad (which it is quite frequently) it's bad in an entertaining and watchable way. So while NOES has some individual entries that are better than any of the F13 series (and the NOES series seems to aim a bit higher and has some more creativity to it), the F13 series is more fun as a whole.
Old 10-25-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I prefer NoES, since the F13 movies feel too repetitious. However, I do like how Jason was primarily a badass throughout the series, while Freddy became too much of a clown.
Old 10-25-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to pick A Nightmare on Elm Street. But if this was against Halloween and not Ft13th, I would pick Halloween. I actually like several entries in that series, unlike the other two.
Old 10-25-10, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Seantn View Post
You might want to stop watching it if you feel that way.
I was just asking why people like it so much settle down . The only reason I've seen it so many times (which is actually only like 3 or 4 really but still) is that I watched it once on my own because I had heard good things, then I was at a friend's house and he wanted to watch it so it was kind of out of my control, then I caught it again on HBO a couple times where I didn't fully watch it but I kept it on since it was the only thing I could find.

Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
Just my general impression but I think New Nightmare is on the more serious side of the franchise, with NOES and Dream Warriors right there with it. It's more about imagery and suspense than pure horror and I can see how when compared to Dream Master/Child it's not the same.
Thing is though I liked Dream Warriors and just find New Nightmare excruciatingly bad . I think one of the main things I didn't like about it was they tried to make it seem like Freddy existed in the "real" world rather than the dream world which just seemed stupid to me.

Originally Posted by sb5 View Post
The difference between the 2 series for me: When the NOES series is bad (lame Freddy lines, overlong stupid nightmare sequences, etc.), it's kinda excruciating and not much fun to watch. When the F13 series is bad (which it is quite frequently) it's bad in an entertaining and watchable way. So while NOES has some individual entries that are better than any of the F13 series (and the NOES series seems to aim a bit higher and has some more creativity to it), the F13 series is more fun as a whole.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Nightmare has times where I just think to myself "what the fuck am I watching" and its just so bad and not enjoyable at all. Friday the 13th is bad sometimes but for some reason it is more entertaining and fun to me. I do give some credit to the Nightmare series for being more creative with the dream sequences and stuff like that, but to me that type of thing alone doesn't make them better.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-25-10 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-25-10, 09:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
^ Even II? I'll admit that one was dumbed down from the original, but it makes for a great double feature.
II feels redundant and even Carpenter has disowned it. Then again, he went and made H20, so maybe his opinion isn't worth much anymore.
Old 10-25-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
One thing I've always wondered. Why do Nightmare fans love New Nightmare so much?
Well, when I finally saw it, I didn't think it was too scary. But it was still very enjoyable, and had a really interesting theme with the whole movie within the movie.

Plus, I really thought the new Freddy design was much more intimidating.
Old 10-25-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though I like both series (although I hate everything post F13 pt 8), I have to give the edge to NOES because 1-3 (yes, even NOES pt 2) and New Nightmare are light years ahead of F13 in terms of storytelling. Although, F13 is funner to watch with a group of people.
Old 10-25-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
II feels redundant and even Carpenter has disowned it. Then again, he went and made H20, so maybe his opinion isn't worth much anymore.
Carpenter didn't make H20. He was going to, but his fee was too high.