Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Help identifying old 70's Sci-fi movie.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the years with the help of the internet I have tracked down information on every elusive movie that I just couldn't remember the title too. The last one ended up being Steele Justice. All I remembered was an action movie where a guy had a snake named "three-step". When the bad guy got bitten he took three steps and died. It's not on DVD but I was shocked to find out that Sela Ward is the main girl in the film! I am sure that I saw this in theaters when it came out. Anyway, there is only one movie left that no matter what searches I do I just cannot locate anything about it online or in movie catalogs. Please help me if you can.

I saw this movie on late night cable years ago. I'd say it's a 70's Sci-fi movie made in Japan. International cast. I thought maybe Toho had made it. Anyway, here are the details I remember ...

The good guys were a ragtag mixed group trying to save the universe. The main cast were Japanese. However, there was an American cowboy. A white woman (Possibly Russian) played a Valkyrie. I think their may have been a knight or other period figures.

The bad guys had a huge pirate ship (as in with sails and everything) flying through space. Armored troopers, fighter ships, laser guns. Inside this ship was some huge black sphere the evil queen (with a large headpiece) consulted, her white face painted male lackey / assistant ... and other villains right out of Inframan.

It was dubbed in English (I am sure all the English / American actors simply spoke English without a dub over). Lots of space battles / flying. Landing on desert / rocky planets to battle with laser guns and swords. Very colorful space backgrounds with lots of red gases in space.

That is about all I can remember about it. I have searched for years for any clues as to what this movie was. Maybe it never got a VHS / DVD release in the US?

If any of this sounds familiar to you can you tell me what you remember about the film or what film it was? Apparently several old 70's sci-fi films had cowboys or Valkyries in space. So it's hard to find this one. I wish I could remember an actor from it.

Thank you!
Old 10-21-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Help identifying old 70's Sci-fi movie.

Originally Posted by DarkRavenII
It was dubbed in English (I am sure all the English / American actors simply spoke English without a dub over). Lots of space battles / flying. Landing on desert / rocky planets to battle with laser guns and swords. Very colorful space backgrounds with lots of red gases in space.
These aspects sound like Starcrash:

...but it's not Japanese and the closest thing to a cowboy is a gun slinging robot.
Old 10-21-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Battle Beyond the Stars?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksJTPdNNQB4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksJTPdNNQB4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-21-10, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ That's what I was thinking. Also, not Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Beyond_the_Stars
Old 10-22-10, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkRavenII
Over the years with the help of the internet I have tracked down information on every elusive movie that I just couldn't remember the title too. The last one ended up being Steele Justice. All I remembered was an action movie where a guy had a snake named "three-step". When the bad guy got bitten he took three steps and died. It's not on DVD but I was shocked to find out that Sela Ward is the main girl in the film! I am sure that I saw this in theaters when it came out. Anyway, there is only one movie left that no matter what searches I do I just cannot locate anything about it online or in movie catalogs. Please help me if you can.

I saw this movie on late night cable years ago. I'd say it's a 70's Sci-fi movie made in Japan. International cast. I thought maybe Toho had made it. Anyway, here are the details I remember ...

The good guys were a ragtag mixed group trying to save the universe. The main cast were Japanese. However, there was an American cowboy. A white woman (Possibly Russian) played a Valkyrie. I think their may have been a knight or other period figures.

The bad guys had a huge pirate ship (as in with sails and everything) flying through space. Armored troopers, fighter ships, laser guns. Inside this ship was some huge black sphere the evil queen (with a large headpiece) consulted, her white face painted male lackey / assistant ... and other villains right out of Inframan.

That is about all I can remember about it. I have searched for years for any clues as to what this movie was. Maybe it never got a VHS / DVD release in the US?

If any of this sounds familiar to you can you tell me what you remember about the film or what film it was? Apparently several old 70's sci-fi films had cowboys or Valkyries in space. So it's hard to find this one. I wish I could remember an actor from it.

Thank you!

Sounds like you're mixing two films together in your memory:
BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980), a Roger Corman production directed by a Japanese-American (Jimmy Murakami), which has a multiracial cast and a female Valkyrie pilot among other elements you mentioned, and...
MESSAGE FROM SPACE (1978), which actually IS a Japanese film with an international cast and has a sailing ship flying through space (but piloted by the good guys, not the bad guys).

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-22-10 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-22-10, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It might be director Kinji Fukasaku's MESSAGE FROM SPACE (1978) with Vic Morrow. I haven't watched it in a while but I recall the ship with sails, the ragtag group of good guys (multi-ethnic cast), and such...it was a STAR WARS knock-off. The movie was released on DVD here in the U.S. not too long back.
Old 10-22-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see I'm a little slow to start things off this morning.
Old 10-22-10, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by flixtime
I see I'm a little slow to start things off this morning.

60 seconds sooner and you would have beat me to it.
Old 10-22-10, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
60 seconds sooner and you would have beat me to it.
Yeah, but "timing is everything" and "close only counts in horseshoes, handgrenades, and bad breath"...and besides you are likely more accurate in suggesting that DarkRavenII's recollection might be a mixture of both films.

Now to figure out which two of the following four Korean movies I want to order from YesAsia this morning: 71 INTO THE FIRE, POETRY, A BAREFOOT DREAM, THE OLD POTTER.
Old 10-22-10, 06:39 PM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qOSmIJCHqcQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qOSmIJCHqcQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Thank you so much Ash Ketchum and flixtime! "Message From Space". I will have to hunt that down and buy it just for the memories!

Thanks to the others as well. I am very familiar with those. I've been waiting for the DVD release of Star Crash for years. Did you know they made a sequel? (That has nothing to do with the first one.) Battle Beyond the Stars and Space Raiders are classics!

Thank you all! So I guess that ends this thread.
Old 10-22-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Message From Space". I will have to hunt that down and buy it just for the memories!
Amazon seems to be out-of-stock at the moment. You can still find the DVD on Ebay from seller discotekmedia.