Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Piranha 3 DD (Gulager, August 2011)

Old 10-19-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Piranha 3 DD (Gulager, August 2011)

Originally Posted by Deadline Hollywood
EXCLUSIVE: In a move that might not make James Cameron's day, Dimension Films has locked in a director and writers and will race to get a Piranha 3D sequel up and running quickly enough to hit theaters by late August, 2011. Dimension has set John Gulager to direct and Saw 3D scribes Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan to write Piranha 3 DD, the sequel to last summer's toothy fish fest that found itself earning the ire of Cameron. The filmmaker cited it as an example of the hasty 3D conversions, while he was barnstorming for Avatar. That led to a sharp -- and lengthy -- rebuke from Piranha 3D's producer Mark Canton. For the sequel, Dimension's Bob Weinstein has reassembled the team behind Feast, the Dimension horror film that served as a season of the TV show Project Greenlight. The director and writers got their starts on that low-budget horror film. Gulager went on to direct two Feast sequels while the scribes moved on to write four installments of the Saw franchise. They recently set an updated version of the classic anthology series The Outer Limits at MGM.

The Alexandre Aja-directed Piranha 3D got decent reviews for being a self-aware film that didn't take itself too seriously as it unleashed a prehistoric piranha pack on an unsuspecting crowd of scantily-clad, drunken spring breakers. Much of the cast, including Eli Roth, became chum in the bloody waters, but whoever remains from the original cast might be back, along with some surprising thesps who'll serve as fresh meat. Making a late summer date will be difficult, but not impossible, if the writers nail the script in the next four weeks. Let's face it, they aren't writing Citizen Kane here. Clearly, Dimension smells money in the water and doesn't want to wait an extra summer to cash in. The original, which cost $20 million to make and another $20 million to market, has chomped its way to a worldwide gross of $71 million so far, with Japan and several other territories still to open. The scribes are repped by Underground and APA.
Source

While I enjoyed Piranha 3D, which happened to surprisingly be one of the more entertaining films of this past summer, I don't know how I feel about the Gulager, Melton and Dunstan trio.

I saw Feast and its two direct-to-video sequels and they sucked. I saw The Collector and that sucked. Most regard Saw IV and V as two of the most weakest entries in the franchise, but they also wrote Saw VI which is considered by most to be one of the best entries in the franchise. I'm somewhat glad we don't have Aja back onboard who can't end a film to save his life, but at the same time, I don't know how I feel about this group.

Based upon this announcement and the title (ugh), I'm sure this outing will have the camp factor amped up.
Old 10-19-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Piranha 3 DD (Gulager, August 2011)

That may be the worst title since 'S1m0ne'.
Old 10-19-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
While I enjoyed Piranha 3D, which happened to surprisingly be one of the more entertaining films of this past summer, I don't know how I feel about the Gulager, Melton and Dunstan trio.
Melton and Dunstan helped on the script for Aja's Piranha 3D, so your real concern should just be with Gulager.
Old 10-19-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Only Saw V really let me down, and it was all Hackl's uninteresting direction, not the story. But I thought Piranha 3D was a big pile of shit; I expected carnage upfront followed by pursuit but instead I got 70 minutes of meandering, 10 minutes of ridiculously gory chaos, and a lame 10-minute conclusion, in crappy post-converted 3D.

I saw Feast and barely remember it, but I don't remember hating it. I have more doubts that The Weinstein Company will actually make good on anything they announce.
Old 10-19-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc View Post
That may be the worst title since 'S1m0ne'.
Its bad, but in a way that I think totally fits with the movie. I mean Piranha 3D wasn't exactly art. Piranha 3 double-D is just more self-aware fun.
Old 10-19-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know Cameron was fired from Piranha 2, but has he ever seen it? I can't imagine he thinks it was better than Piranha 3D.
Old 10-19-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm all in if it's just as fun as Aja's film.
Old 10-20-10, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Piranha 3 double D titties!!! BRING IT ON!
Old 10-20-10, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Misleading topic title, I was thinking this was Clu Gulager's triumphant return to the big screen.
Old 10-20-10, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
Misleading topic title, I was thinking this was Clu Gulager's triumphant return to the big screen.
It's not misleading. John Gulager is his son, and John put Clu in Feast, so it's very likely he would find a way to put him in this Piranha film.
Old 10-20-10, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yikes, not liking this news at all
Old 10-20-10, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
I'm all in if it's just as fun as Aja's film.
Same here.
Old 10-20-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this better be more like FEAST and less like FEAST 2 and FEAST 3
Old 10-20-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Piranha 3D was shitty, so I don't care much about a sequel. But I think the title is amusing, and I'm game to see John throw Clu in the mix (which I hope he does), so I'll wait for a trailer to reserve further judgment.
Old 10-20-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's hope they shoot in 3-D this time.
Old 10-20-10, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
this better be more like FEAST and less like FEAST 2 and FEAST 3

I really enjoyed the hell out of Feast when it came out, hated the first sequel so much that I didn't even bother with the 3rd movie.

This news seems as good as any about P-3DD, while Piranha 3D wasn't everything I was hoping it would be, it was still damn fun. The original Piranha stands as one of my favorite Jaws clones (Grizzly and Alligator, as well) and I was pretty happy with P-3D since I had quite high expectations.

Put me in the came of loving the title.
Old 12-02-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

September 16, 2011 release date for this one.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...=19889&count=0
Old 12-02-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With that kind of title we better have a cameo by Kenny Powers.
Old 12-02-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a stupid title name.
Old 12-03-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the title perfectly suits the film, and I really hope Culager makes this one better than the first.
Old 12-03-10, 11:16 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I personally would have preferred if Aja did the sequel. Sure, he doesn't seem to be able to "end" a film, but I enjoyed Piranha 3D for Aja's style of gore. My recollection of the Saw movies, as well as the first Feast film, is that these guys don't hold a candle to Aja in that regard.
Old 12-03-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Aja's been slipping recently. "Mirrors" started good, but turned to crap by the end. "Piranha" was mostly terrible all throughout. I'd rather see him tackle something fresh, not a sequel or another remake. After "High Tension" and "Hills Have Eyes", I expected more out of him.
Old 12-03-10, 03:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips View Post
Let's hope they shoot in 3-D this time.
This. For a project that was developed as a 3d film from the ground up, it was disappointing they didn't actually film it in 3d.
Old 03-25-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deadline is reporting this has been bumped to Nov. 23, 2011.
Old 03-25-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just watched Piranha for the first time last week. Oh so stupid, but it was ridiculously fun. Jerry O'Connell was a fucking trip in that role.

Love the DD title. I think it totally fits the vibe the first film set up.

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
But I thought Piranha 3D was a big pile of shit; I expected carnage upfront followed by pursuit but instead I got 70 minutes of meandering, 10 minutes of ridiculously gory chaos, and a lame 10-minute conclusion, in crappy post-converted 3D.
So instead of judging the film at face value you judged it based on what you expected?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.