Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Uncharted: The Movie (2022, D: Fleischer) S: Tom Holland, Mark Wahlberg

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Uncharted: The Movie (2022, D: Fleischer) S: Tom Holland, Mark Wahlberg

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (David O. Russell to Write/Direct)

Originally Posted by BurnCard
Eh, someone older needs to play Sully. Throw a toupee on J.K Simmons and he'd be perfect.
J.K. Simmons is 56 (born in January). Bruce Campbell is 52 (born in June). Not that much of an age difference. I think J.K. Simmons could work, but whenever I heard Sully talk I always thought of Bruce Campbell.
Old 05-26-11, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
As was reading this news, I couldn't help but think about this thread.
Sad, isn't it? I often read news items and make a connection to a thread here.
Old 05-26-11, 07:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...unfortunately...being a film major...anything film..I think of this place. I fucking hate you all, cocksuckers.
Old 05-26-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find this news about Russell disapointing. I could give a crap about a faithful Uncharted movie...the games are fantastic to a point that a literal movie adaptation just seems...utterly pointless. But a David O Russell adventure movie? Now that was interesting.

Oh well. Until I hear about a good filmmaker on board, I can't really care. Everybody is going on about who should play Nathan Drake, but who cares until they get some talent writing and directing this.
Old 05-27-11, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
I find this news about Russell disapointing. I could give a crap about a faithful Uncharted movie...the games are fantastic to a point that a literal movie adaptation just seems...utterly pointless. But a David O Russell adventure movie? Now that was interesting.
You're missing the point. I don't think anyone expected a literal adaptation, but O Russell clearly shit on the property and had no respect for any of the source material. Re-read the thread. Not a single person had any issues with Russell until around post 60 which is when the off-the-rail plot idea came out.
Old 05-27-11, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I would like to see a "side adventure" with Drake and Sully rather than a rehash of one of the games.
That's exactly what they should do. A movie based on the game would be like watching someone else play. No fun at all. Another adventure with the same characters shouldd be the way to go.
Old 05-28-11, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That's exactly what they should do. A movie based on the game would be like watching someone else play. No fun at all. Another adventure with the same characters shouldd be the way to go.
To late for that, Uncharted 3 is already coming out. I like the JK Simmons idea. To bad it will never happen.
Old 05-28-11, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
To late for that, Uncharted 3 is already coming out. I like the JK Simmons idea. To bad it will never happen.
What does Uncharted 3 have to do with it? We're suggesting a different adventure, one that doesn't follow the plot of any of the games. It's like how Lucasarts did a game of an original Indiana Jones story (IJ and the Fate of Atlantis), but in reverse.
Old 05-28-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drexl
What does Uncharted 3 have to do with it? We're suggesting a different adventure, one that doesn't follow the plot of any of the games. It's like how Lucasarts did a game of an original Indiana Jones story (IJ and the Fate of Atlantis), but in reverse.
A movie based on this game sounds like a good idea but I think it's to close to the release of the new game. They need to hold off a good 5 five years an dlet the games classic status bulid up.
Old 05-28-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by edstein
A movie based on this game sounds like a good idea but I think it's to close to the release of the new game. They need to hold off a good 5 five years an dlet the games classic status bulid up.
Classic status has nothing to do with it. It's just further branching out the franchise. Heck, there's even an Uncharted novel that was just released. A movie wouldn't be a bad thing at all (as long as it's a separate adventure set in the same universe).
Old 07-07-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Neil Burger charts course for 'Uncharted'
'Limitless' helmer to write, direct Sony adaptation of videogame
By Marc Graser

Exclusive: Neil Burger is charting a course to write and direct Sony's adaptation of Naughty Dog's hit videogame "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune."

The helmer, who most recently scored with Relativity's "Limitless," a Virgin Produced pic that starred Bradley Cooper, is in negotiations to shepherd the action adventure after David O. Russell recently left the project due to creative differences.

Burger landed the offer after the studio and producers Avi Arad, Ari Arad, Charles Roven and Alex Gartner sparked to his new take on the pic, which Sony will now move forward with. Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer had penned the first draft of "Uncharted."

It's unclear whether Mark Wahlberg will remain interested in starring in "Uncharted" now that Russell is no longer helming. Pic would have reteamed thesp with "The Fighter" director.

Sony is very high on "Uncharted," eyeing a film adaptation as the potential launch of its own "Indiana Jones"-like franchise, which borrows heavily from 1930 serials, after the first two games have turned into a standout hit for the company's PlayStation division. A third game, exclusive to the PS3 console, hits store shelves Nov. 11.

First game, "Drake's Fortune," bowed in 2007, and introduced Nathan Drake, a descendant of explorer Sir Francis Drake, who goes on a quest to seek the lost treasure of El Dorado with the help of his friend Victor "Sully" Sullivan and a journalist. The sequel, "Among Thieves," was released in 2009, while "Drake's Deception" is upcoming.

Overall, the games have sold nearly 6 million copies.

Burger, who is repped by CAA, also directed magic tale "The Illusionist," roadtrip comedy "The Lucky Ones" and faux documentary "Interview with the Assassin."
Old 07-07-11, 04:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Mmm...burger.
Old 07-07-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by article quoted by devilshalo
First game, "Drake's Fortune," bowed in 2007, and introduced Nathan Drake, a descendant of explorer Sir Francis Drake, who goes on a quest to seek the lost treasure of El Dorado with the help of his friend Victor "Sully" Sullivan and a journalist.
Such a lack of respect for a great character
Old 07-07-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Burger landed the offer after the studio and producers Avi Arad, Ari Arad, Charles Roven and Alex Gartner sparked to his new take on the pic, which Sony will now move forward with."
I hope that "new take" is that he'll be showing actual respect to the source material and making a movie that's a stand alone adventure set in the same universe as the games rather than a retread of the first game.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Such a lack of respect for a great character
Elena deserves better than that. We'll be lucky if she is brought to the screen as a believable heroine (as in the game) and not some dead behind the eyes "hotty".
Old 07-07-11, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I hope that "new take" is that he'll be showing actual respect to the source material and making a movie that's a stand alone adventure set in the same universe as the games rather than a retread of the first game.

Elena deserves better than that. We'll be lucky if she is brought to the screen as a believable heroine (as in the game) and not some dead behind the eyes "hotty".
That's pretty hard considering it's Sony making it. I'll be surprised if she's *gasp* a smart woman! Cool character in the game and I hope it comes through.
Old 07-18-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WyldeMan45
Some more questions answered:

Director Neil Burger Talks

For those curious what’s up with Uncharted, Burger says:

“We’re rewriting it, and I’m just jumping in right now to do it. The deal really has just closed, so it’s very, very new. I’m basically writing it from scratch. So, it’s a ways off, but it’s very exciting to have something that could be a franchise. I like it, and I like that it’s a bit different from a lot of the science fiction stuff that’s out there. I like that it’s a classic, great adventure.”

On how close he’ll stick to the game:

“I think that the game has a really cinematic quality to it, and it has a wild feel to it, and I like the characters. I like the character of Nate. I know guys like him, who are either war correspondents or extreme adventurers – these guys that are living in a very different way and who are slightly hustlers or con-men. I think it’s a great character. All that stuff is there, the trick is to make it into a movie. There’s a lot of moments in the video game that are very cool and very intense. I would use as many of them as I could, if they work into the film’s story.”

And most important, we asked him if his movie will break the streak of bad video game adaptations:

“I just think you have to make the best movie you can. Something like Indiana Jones was updating 1930′s B-movies. In the same way, we’re inspired by the video game, but we have to do what a movie does best. What the gamers like is that it looks real and that you can be this person and do these amazing things. In a way, we need to do the same thing, but in the world of movies. We need to make it exhilarating and wild, and make you completely identify with this character and take you along on this ride, where you are this character and you feel it.”
Finally! A director that understands this property!
Old 07-18-11, 07:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

nice, but damn them for wasting so much time with that other jackass who clearly wasn't getting it.
Old 07-18-11, 08:01 PM
Banned

im liking what i read here
Old 07-19-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

So does this mean the Nathan Fillion campaign should restart?
Old 07-19-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
So does this mean the Nathan Fillion campaign should restart?
No. Bradley Cooper already snagged the role.

Spoiler:
Just kidding.

But I wouldn't mind if he did.
Old 07-24-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by detective392
Nathan Fillion Expresses Further Interest In Starring In Uncharted!

Talking at the San Diego Comic Con, Castle star Nathan Fillion has revealed that he's definitely interested in playing Nathan Drake, and has a VERY unique idea on how exactly he might be able to nab the role...

When David O. Russell was attached to direct the adaptation of Uncharted, the hit video game series and upcoming comic book series from DC, fans were disappointed to learn that it would be Mark Wahlberg who would likely fill the shoes of Nathan Drake. Nathan Fillion has been a fan favourite since the beginning, and following the news that Neil Burger had taken over the project and would be starting from scratch, the buzz surrounding the Castle star has begun anew. Well, here's what he had to say on the matter when talking to Screen Rant this weekend.

"I am certainly still interested in playing Nathan Drake. I think every actor I know wants their action-adventure hero, their Indiana Jones. That would be a good one for me, I think. What I don’t want is people pressuring that poor man [director Neil Burger] and souring him on the actual idea. If we could somehow just… do you remember the movie Inception? I think that’s what we need to do. We need to let him land on the idea on his own."
Love his Inception idea to land the role

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/j.../news/?a=42803
I don't think it was meant as a joke but rather as an analogy. Anyhoo, he clearly has passion for the material and he is capable of playing a character such as Nate. Hopefully, they just hire big names for the villains and hire the "right" actors (regardless of box office draw or lack thereof) for the roles of Nate, Sully, and Elena.
Old 07-25-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Burger seems to have a better understanding of the character, the franchise possibility, and the need to stay true to the spirit of the game, but still make a movie that works. All of that is good news in my book.

I still really hope Fillion gets the role, but it does seem a long shot. Like RocShemp said, I just hope they cast the right actors for the roles instead of worrying about big names or box office draw.
Old 07-25-11, 11:46 AM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

@NathanFillion tweeted: "I've always loved Sam Worthington, but now I LOVE love Sam Worthington. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xNvwWsXt64 Sam gets my vote for Nathan Drake."

My response...

Last edited by Goldberg74; 07-25-11 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Fixed link.
Old 07-25-11, 11:52 AM
Banned

link is a no go, bro.
Old 07-25-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Sam Worthington but he doesn't give me a Nathan Drake vibe at all. Not as poor a choice as Mark Whalberg but still not a good choice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.