DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies where the mayor of a small town is also the town judge, doctor, etc.? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/580728-movies-where-mayor-small-town-also-town-judge-doctor-etc.html)

rabbit77 10-14-10 02:49 PM

Movies where the mayor of a small town is also the town judge, doctor, etc.?

It's a movie cliche I know we've seen several times, where the outsider discovers (with hilarity) that the town mayor is also the town ______.

Having watched Cars for the millionth time with my boys, the first one I can think of is Paul Newman as Radiator Springs' judge, mayor, and mechanic. What are other examples where this happens?

Ash Ketchum 10-14-10 02:54 PM

Re: Movies where the mayor of a small town is also the town judge, doctor, etc.?

Any movie with Judge Roy Bean might count. Paul Newman, coincidentally, played him in THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JUDGE ROY BEAN (1972). Walter Brennan played him (and won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar) in THE WESTERNER (1940). Victor Jory played him in Audie Murphy's last movie, A TIME FOR DYING (1969).

Palaver 10-14-10 03:20 PM

Re: Movies where the mayor of a small town is also the town judge, doctor, etc.?

Originally Posted by rabbit77 (Post 10430605)
Having watched Cars for the millionth time with my boys, the first one I can think of is Paul Newman as Radiator Springs' judge, mayor, and mechanic.

I don't think Doc Hudson was ever described as mayor. According to wiki, he was judge and physician.

rabbit77 10-14-10 03:29 PM

Interesting... I wonder if I jumped to that conclusion since he's the vocal leader of the town.

Groucho 10-14-10 03:30 PM

In Do the Right Thing the mayor was also a homeless drunk.

Nicholas Vargo 10-14-10 04:33 PM

Roxanne: the mayor (played by Fred Willard) also worked for the fire station if I'm not mistaken.

Cardsfan111 10-14-10 04:42 PM

In National Lampoon's Vacation, Clark asks the mechanic who's ripping him off, "What does the Sheriff think of your business practice?" The mechanic replies by showing Clark his badge.

Edit: Just realized that didn't answer the OP's specific scenario, but it's close.

Groucho 10-14-10 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Palaver (Post 10430678)
I don't think Doc Hudson was ever described as mayor. According to wiki, he was judge and physician.

However, John Mayer performs on the soundtrack, so there you go.

Numanoid 10-14-10 05:55 PM

In probably 95% of towns in the U.S., the mayor actually does hold a day job.

TGM 10-14-10 05:58 PM

Mystery, Alaska and Doc Hollywood maybe?

RagingBull80 10-14-10 11:26 PM

High Plains Drifter

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/689...8800125khg.jpg

Hokeyboy 10-15-10 12:35 PM

The rectum-mangling Groucho received from Cars can never be fully documented...

story 10-15-10 01:32 PM

Kinda-sorta:

The Reverend Clayton is both a minister and a Texas Ranger in The Searchers.

islandclaws 10-15-10 01:42 PM

Wasn't this the case in Nothing but Trouble?