Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2010 Oscar buzz/predictions

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2010 Oscar buzz/predictions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Re: 2010 Oscar buzz/predictions

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
I have finally seen all 10 nominated big picture films and I believe The King's Speech will take home the grand prize. It has the most heart and it pulls people's heartstrings unlike The Social Network.
You didn't come away from TSN feeling sorry for the world's youngest billionaire?
Old 01-29-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
A large part of what people found so compelling about Winter's Bone is that it so vividly and (apparently) realistically presents the audience with a world that they have no familiarity with, and that rarely is given attention in the media.
Sheesh, I hope it wasn't that realistic. Very scary that there are people that live that way. In the scene where Lawrence is teaching her younger siblings to fire a rifle, she says a line like "kneel down like you're praying" It sent a chill up my spine like this is America --guns and Jesus.
Old 01-29-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it wasn't realistic, I think this reviewer would have been complaining.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...heartache-in/#
Old 01-29-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Sheesh, I hope it wasn't that realistic. Very scary that there are people that live that way. In the scene where Lawrence is teaching her younger siblings to fire a rifle, she says a line like "kneel down like you're praying" It sent a chill up my spine like this is America --guns and Jesus.
You should check out the documentary The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. Now that's scary.
Old 01-29-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
You should check out the documentary The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. Now that's scary.
Scary and probably the best movie I saw last year...
Old 01-30-11, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom Hooper just won the DGA award over David Fincher, who alongside Bale and Sorkin has up til now dominated his category. I think we need to all start resigning ourselves to a King's Speech sweep come oscar night, folks. If it takes SAG it'll be pretty much over, as it does not compete with The Social Network at WGA (original, versus adapted).
Old 01-30-11, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hardercore
Tom Hooper just won the DGA award over David Fincher, who alongside Bale and Sorkin has up til now dominated his category. I think we need to all start resigning ourselves to a King's Speech sweep come oscar night, folks. If it takes SAG it'll be pretty much over, as it does not compete with The Social Network at WGA (original, versus adapted).
Just the people who didn't think The King's Speech was even one of the ten best films of the year.

I thought the conventional wisdom was that the Best Picture race was always between The Social Network and The King's Speech, so if TKS came out on top it wouldn't be too shocking.

Will support for TKS carry into the Supporting Acting categories where (I think) The Fighter was favored? Guess we will find out tonight.
Old 01-30-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Does anyone else think the Academy will wind up giving the Best Actress Oscar to Annette Benning as a lifetime achievement award?
Old 01-30-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yes. It's very possible.

It's unfortunate Hooper won over Fincher. Hooper's direction was the only thing I could actually fault with The King's Speech.

Bale did better than Rush, but Rush carried TKS (imo) and if it's a favored movie it's possible they will give it to him instead of Bale.
Old 01-30-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Old Farts have spoken! We like to play it safe and we are going to make sure that the non-formulaic movie for those young hippies will fail! Long live the safe, heart tugging standard fare!
Old 01-30-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure The King's Speech is good, but I really thought this might be the year where the voters who actually know what technology is, might...just might....vote for the hip movie. But no.

I still hold out some hope for Social Network, but it's not looking good now. The DGA loss was a huge blow. So if things don't change, it appears King's Speech takes Picture, Director, Actor, likely Editing now as a throw in, probably Screenplay too. I'm sure it'll win something else.

Poor Social Network might just end up with Screenplay and Score. That is truly a shame.
Old 01-30-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The Old Farts have spoken! We like to play it safe and we are going to make sure that the non-formulaic movie for those young hippies will fail! Long live the safe, heart tugging standard fare!
I really don't think any of that will happen. It's nearly February and the majority of Americans still have not even heard of The King's Speech.
Old 01-30-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, again I didn't like a number of directorial choices in The King's Speech but it further proves the academy prefers things remain the same. TKS is a total traditional movie with standard "overcoming the odds" fare. It's by no means bad, but it's rather forgettable.
Old 01-30-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope this will be a similar year when the DGA picked Rob Marshall over Scorsese and Polanski, but Polanski took the Oscar. But I have a feeling it won't be. Usually, out of all the groups, the directors make a good choice on Oscar night. They also rewarded Soderberg for "Traffic" which was a somewhat surprise.
Old 01-30-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope this will be a similar year when the DGA picked Rob Marshall over Scorsese and Polanski, but Polanski took the Oscar. But I have a feeling it won't be. Usually, out of all the groups, the directors make a good choice on Oscar night. They also rewarded Soderberg for "Traffic" which was a somewhat surprise.
+1. If I were handing it out Directing would go to Aronofsky, but it should really be between Aronofsky and Fincher and, well, Nolan, but we won't go there.
Old 01-30-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was posted on Hollywood Elsewhere from a member who said they were at the DGA:

being in the room last night for the DGA Awards..I can tell you the audience was stunned over the Hooper win..Kathryn Bigelow (who read the winner) was visibly shocked..one of the other directors (not Fincher) couldn't contain himself and let out a howl of laughter. Having been to a lot of these award shows this season a bit...I'm sure all of the directors want to win themselves, but get the feeling they don't mind losing to Fincher...I think they *do mind losing to Hooper considering the direction was the weakest part of King's Speech.
Old 01-30-11, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

It's about 50-50 for best picture. King's Speech is safer, more Oscar-baity. Social Network is young and hip. Academy skews older though.
Old 01-30-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Finisher
It's about 50-50 for best picture. King's Speech is safer, more Oscar-baity. Social Network is young and hip. Academy skews older though.
This has become sort of a myth. Recent examples include:

Gladiator winning over Gosford Park
Crash winning over everything
The Departed winning over The Queen
No Country for Old Men winning over everything
Slumdog Millionaire winning over The Reader
The Hurt Locker winning over everything

None of those films are Oscar bait.
Old 01-30-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
This has become sort of a myth. Recent examples include:

Gladiator winning over Gosford Park
Crash winning over everything
The Departed winning over The Queen
No Country for Old Men winning over everything
Slumdog Millionaire winning over The Reader
The Hurt Locker winning over everything

None of those films are Oscar bait.
Gladiator didn't win over Gosford Park; the latter wasn't even nominated that year.
Old 01-30-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the only thing that was even somewhat competitive with Gladiator that year was Traffic. Chocolat, Crouching Tiger, and Erin Brockovich didn't really seem so high and mighty.

Funny that Soderbergh had two Best Pic and two Best Director noms that year

Gosford Park was nominated the year after Gladiator won and lost to A Beautiful Mind.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-30-11 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-30-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never considered "The Reader" as a legitimate contender for BP that year (or really any year).

"The Departed" felt like a lifetime achievement win for Scorsese (along with his BD win). (Then again, I didn't really love that movie, and was surprised it won BP that year).
Old 01-30-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Gladiator didn't win over Gosford Park; the latter wasn't even nominated that year.
Oops. But yeah still counts... Gladiator was a bit of a surprise and not really Oscar bait.
Old 01-30-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, the only thing that was even somewhat competitive with Gladiator that year was Traffic. Chocolat, Crouching Tiger, and Erin Brockovich didn't really seem so high and mighty.

Funny that Soderbergh had two Best Pic and two Best Director noms that year

Gosford Park was nominated the year after Gladiator won and lost to A Beautiful Mind.
2000 was a crazy year. According to the Academy, Traffic was the best edited, best written, and best directed movie, yet it wasn't good enough to win Picture. And Del Toro nabbed Supporting Actor. Very strange year.
Old 01-30-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure The King's Speech is good, but I really thought this might be the year where the voters who actually know what technology is, might...just might....vote for the hip movie. But no.

I still hold out some hope for Social Network, but it's not looking good now. The DGA loss was a huge blow. So if things don't change, it appears King's Speech takes Picture, Director, Actor, likely Editing now as a throw in, probably Screenplay too. I'm sure it'll win something else.

Poor Social Network might just end up with Screenplay and Score. That is truly a shame.
Wait a minute. You're up in arms and you haven't even seen The King's Speech? I expected more from you.
Old 01-30-11, 04:59 PM

Here's my major problem with King's Speech, and I know that others feel the same way, it feels like a big screen version of Masterpiece Theater. I've seen the film twice now and it feels like something you would turn into on PBS, it doesn't feel like something made for seeing a movie theater. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but no where near the level of film that Inception, Social Network, True Grit, The Fighter, Black Swan, or hell even Toy Story 3 is. I can't still get around why Inception isn't the front runner and why Nolan can't get a break with the Oscars.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.