DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Footage of Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/580608-footage-eric-stoltz-back-future.html)

geicos27 10-12-10 01:50 PM

Footage of Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/10/12...toltz-footage/

Depending on how much footage they include, I may have to pick this up.

OldBoy 10-12-10 02:05 PM

Re: Footage of Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future

that's pretty cool. didn't even remember he was originally cast.
i am sure Eric has commented in the past about the dismissal and would love to hear/read what he thought of the whole situation.

PopcornTreeCt 10-12-10 02:13 PM

So I guess now I can cancel my Blu-ray pre-order.

rexinnih 10-12-10 02:36 PM

Looking forward to getting this set in my hands. Just a bit longer.

Geofferson 10-12-10 02:55 PM

Same here. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the footage. :up:

tylergfoster 10-12-10 02:59 PM

Even in those clips, it looks pretty clear that he's giving a more dramatic performance than Fox.

Groucho 10-12-10 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 10426388)
So I guess now I can cancel my Blu-ray pre-order.

:hscratch:

PopcornTreeCt 10-12-10 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10426492)
:hscratch:

I think it was a huge selling point with fans to pick up this edition to finally see the Eric Stoltz footage. After waiting decades, it gets released early before the edition comes out. It's just a tad disappointing.

Geofferson 10-12-10 03:59 PM

It's unfortunate for Stoltz -- I wonder if he went on to make Mask (also 1985) after he was fired from BTTF or if that was already in the can...

Groucho 10-12-10 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 10426597)
I think it was a huge selling point with fans to pick up this edition to finally see the Eric Stoltz footage. After waiting decades, it gets released early before the edition comes out. It's just a tad disappointing.

This is just a "snippet".

nando820 10-12-10 04:09 PM

Very interesting didn't know they had a different actor before. That sucks to be fired 5 weeks into production but its true he was giving a different performance of what the role was asking.

In other news

Kristen Stewart Goes Topless in New Film!
http://hollywire.com/2010/10/kristen...pless-new-film

loser09 10-12-10 04:13 PM

What's up with Doc's giant monster hand in that photo at the top of the article?

Michael Corvin 10-12-10 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson (Post 10426478)
Same here. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the footage. :up:

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10426607)
This is just a "snippet".

There's an interview with Gale in the BD thread that mentions that there will be 3 small "snippets" of Stoltz. Looks like this is it. I wouldn't count on much more. IIRC the same article said that maybe they'll release the footage in 20 more years. It mentioned that releasing it now just makes everyone involved look bad and it benefits no one.

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10426369)
i am sure Eric has commented in the past about the dismissal and would love to hear/read what he thought of the whole situation.

I think there is a link in the BD thread to an interview (pretty lengthy one) where BTTF was discussed a decent amount. I read it months ago when it was posted, you'll have to do the digging to find it though.

Dr. DVD 10-12-10 08:24 PM

Seeing some of that footage, I can see why they wound up having to replace Eric Stoltz. They were looking for someone to bring whimsy, and Stoltz seems like he's playing it more on the serious side. Sucks for him, but understandable decision.

Solid Snake 10-12-10 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 10427030)
Seeing some of that footage, I can see why they wound up having to replace Eric Stoltz. They were looking for someone to bring whimsy, and Stoltz seems like he's playing it more on the serious side. Sucks for him, but understandable decision.

this....

I need to watch these films again. I remember merely enjoying them. I don't know why though. They look a lot of fun...maybe it's cuz I just normally saw different films than something akin to BTTF?

UAIOE 10-12-10 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 10427030)

I don't look down upon Stoltz for playing it serious, but BTTF isn't a movie that needs to be serious.

I can't imagine the movie being done 100% totally serious. It's unpossible.

Sonic 10-12-10 09:49 PM

Great choice they went with Michael Jai White! :thumbsup:

(or is it Fox?)

gmanca 10-12-10 10:49 PM

Having just seen "The Wild Life," you can tell that Stoltz wouldn't be right for a one-liner type of comedy, as he's more of the type to do a "wrong situation" vehicle.

It is interesting that now Zemeckis wants to make a serious time-travel film.

CloverClover 10-12-10 10:58 PM

whoa he looks bad in it, if they released that version then it wouldn't be the classic that it is today

Boba Fett 10-12-10 11:07 PM

I always thought Stoltz was selected as a replacement for a Fox based on execs seeing his performance in "Mask," and when Stoltz didn't work out then they were able to get Fox.

Artman 10-12-10 11:12 PM

Cool, but I have a feeling that's all they're going to show us. Maybe for that 30th anniversary release...

Rainet 10-13-10 01:29 AM

Casting for BTTF came down to Eric Stoltz and C. Thomas Howell. Supervising executive, Sid Sheinberg pushed for Eric Stoltz to land the role
http://hurtyelbow.typepad.com/hurtye...to-future.html

C. Thomas Howell would of been an interesting choice. I picture Secret Admirer meets BTTF. Not as good as Michael J Fox, but probably may have been better than Eric Stoltz.

Eric Stoltz was wrong for the part but i do see how they picked him. He's good at comedies but with mure drammatic flair as in Some Kind Of Wonderful.

Eric D. 10-13-10 01:38 AM

I thought BTTF was originally intended to be much more serious film, hence Stoltz's serious performance. It was only lightened up later on and Fox was able to bring the comedic stuff that Stoltz lacked.

gmanca 10-13-10 01:45 AM

Well judging by the "absurd" forms of how the time travel was to occur, Atomic-bomb explosion, time-traveling fridge, I'd say it wasn't serious from the get-go.

tylergfoster 10-13-10 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Eric D. (Post 10427392)
I thought BTTF was originally intended to be much more serious film, hence Stoltz's serious performance. It was only lightened up later on and Fox was able to bring the comedic stuff that Stoltz lacked.

Generally, these kinds of changes occur at the script or pre-production stage, not after a director has been hired (especially if that director co-wrote the script).

On the last DVD, I think they also cited Weird Science in relation to Stoltz and how he was performing the role.