Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Footage of Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Footage of Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Footage of Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future

Have there been any other movies where the lead filmed a decent amount of footage, before they were replaced?
Old 10-13-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The longest is probably Apocalypse Now. Harvey Keitel was Willard for 2 weeks before he was replaced by Martin Sheen.

Stuart Townsend was originally Aragorn in LOTR, but I think that was only for about 3-4 days of shooting. James Remar was Hicks in Aliens for a few days before he was replaced by Michael Biehn.
Old 10-13-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Harvey Keitel was also replaced by Sydney Pollack in Eyes Wide Shut. Similar thing happened with Jennifer Jason Leigh getting replaced in the same movie as well.
Old 10-13-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I don't look down upon Stoltz for playing it serious, but BTTF isn't a movie that needs to be serious.

I can't imagine the movie being done 100% totally serious. It's unpossible.
I agree. I'm just saying Stoltz looked too serious in the role. To look at him one would think he was in more of an action/sc-fi .
Old 10-13-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
Have there been any other movies where the lead filmed a decent amount of footage, before they were replaced?
Woody Allen's September
Old 10-13-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Although I haven't seen the footage with Stoltz, the Yahoo News story yesterday said "Original 'Back to the Future' star revealed". And first thing I thought was, huh!? This is not news. I heard about this the year the movie was released. And that he filmed for several weeks.
Old 10-13-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Yeah, any true BTTF fan knows about Stoltz's lost footage.
Old 10-13-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Poor Stoltz though. He really is a good actor. And definitely had the look. But apparently not the comedic acting style required. I can only imagine what he went through watching the film's success when released. And to this day, considered a classic.
Old 10-13-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He was really upbeat in the interview about it. He was bummed but it seems time has healed those wounds.

I'm just surprised we're finally seeing footage. I've been waiting forever to see anything besides the couple of stills that were out there.
Old 10-14-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly
He was really upbeat in the interview about it. He was bummed but it seems time has healed those wounds.

I'm just surprised we're finally seeing footage. I've been waiting forever to see anything besides the couple of stills that were out there.
I imagine Tom Selleck feels the same about the "Indiana Jones" movies. Even though he only turned down the role and wasn't fired. And did nicely on his own with "Magnum P.I" and "Three Men and a Baby".
Old 10-14-10, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Harvey Keitel was also replaced by Sydney Pollack in Eyes Wide Shut. Similar thing happened with Jennifer Jason Leigh getting replaced in the same movie as well.
Now there's some footage I would really really like to see. Unfortunately, Kubrick probably had it burned.
Old 10-14-10, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Or anyone who's from an alternate dimension that doesn't use pens.
Old 10-14-10, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Generally, these kinds of changes occur at the script or pre-production stage, not after a director has been hired (especially if that director co-wrote the script).

On the last DVD, I think they also cited Weird Science in relation to Stoltz and how he was performing the role.
Generally, but that's not always the case. Since that part of the production has been kept so secret, there is no telling if maybe they decided to lighten it up early on in production. A lot of times there are re-writes on set if a scene isn't working correctly and the fact that Zemeckis was one of the writers makes that quite easy to do. I just can't see how they cast Stoltz knowing full well it was going to be a light/comedic role and then dump him a few weeks later after wasting all that time and money. It just seems to make sense that he wasn't able to adapt to the new tone of the film and that's why he got dropped.

This has always been one of those Hollywood stories that I've wanted to know the whole truth to.
Old 10-14-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

"Fitzcarraldo" finished about 40% of shooting with Jason Robards as the lead and Mick Jagger in a main supporting role. Robards had to leave because of illness, and Jagger couldn't work past the planned shooting schedule because of music obligations. So Herzog recast the lead with Kinski and rewrite the script to remove Jagger's character. Only a snippet of the Robards/Jagger footage remains (Herzog destroyed most of it). Even though the recasting wasn't artistically driven, you'd think it ultimately made the movie better. It's hard to imagine anyone but Kinski doing the role.
Old 10-14-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And then there's "Exorcist: the Beginning". Where several actors were replaced and the movie refilmed.
Old 10-14-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Those were replacements done simply because the director (Kubrick) was taking too long in making the movie and they had to leave for other commitments. So it's more akin to quitting instead of being fired.
Old 10-14-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

From the world of television....
Old 10-14-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Wasn't there a substantial role in Eyes Wide Shut recast/filmed after a few months work?
Old 10-14-10, 07:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wasn't there a substantial role in Eyes Wide Shut recast/filmed after a few months work?
You mean besides the ones mentioned several times in the last several posts?
Old 10-14-10, 08:22 PM

I imagine Tom Selleck feels the same about the "Indiana Jones" movies. Even though he only turned down the role and wasn't fired. And did nicely on his own with "Magnum P.I" and "Three Men and a Baby".
Didn't Selleck get (and want) the part, but he was contractually obligated to Magnum P.I.?
Old 10-14-10, 08:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

He was encouraged to stick/honor his contract with Magnum P.I. but there was enough of a break in shooting due to weather that "Raiders" could have fit in the shooting schedule. As a consolation prize, he did the mega-hit "High Road To China."
Old 10-14-10, 08:35 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wasn't this a tread about Eric Scoltz footage?
Old 10-14-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Eric Stoltz would've been interesting in this movie. Not as funny, but I think, interesting.
Old 10-15-10, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
You mean besides the ones mentioned several times in the last several posts?
I was skimming the thread on my phone.
Old 10-15-10, 04:20 AM

how come stoltz is wearing different clothes than fox in the same scene? that makes no sense.

selleck was picked to do indiana jones, but when whoever had him under contract for a tv series (cbs?) got wind that he would be in a spielberg/lucas movie they then all the sudden decided to make magnum pi. basically they forced him to not be able to do indiana jones. it's mentioned in rinzler's making of indiana jones book.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.