Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help finding a film.. Similiar to The Others

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-07-10, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey gang, been a long time since i've posted.

I'm looking for a film that I saw some years ago. When The Others came out in 2001 starring NIcole Kidman, I thought is was a remake of the film i'm thinking of.

The film in my memory is in black and white (I hope i'm remembering that right).

WHat I recall was a scene at the end where the woman in the film was driving away from the house but couldn't of course leave the grounds. There were two children as well.

Im wondering if this rings a bell for anyone... I recently watched The Innocents from 1961, and as I recall the cinematography was quite similiar to that one. I*m very certain the film i'm thinking of is not the Innocents... I spent the better party of 20 years trying to identify the Innocents. It was my first known memory of having the bejesus scared out of me. When I finally found the film (a favorite of my moms), I had to buy it (happily on Bluray) and have watched it many times.

ANyway, I wonder if anyone might have an idea of the film i'm thinking of. Look forward to any replies.
Old 10-07-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Need help finding a film.. Similiar to The Others

Originally Posted by FaustBos View Post
Hey gang, been a long time since i've posted.

I'm looking for a film that I saw some years ago. When The Others came out in 2001 starring NIcole Kidman, I thought is was a remake of the film i'm thinking of.

The film in my memory is in black and white (I hope i'm remembering that right).

WHat I recall was a scene at the end where the woman in the film was driving away from the house but couldn't of course leave the grounds. There were two children as well.

Im wondering if this rings a bell for anyone... I recently watched The Innocents from 1961, and as I recall the cinematography was quite similiar to that one. I*m very certain the film i'm thinking of is not the Innocents... I spent the better party of 20 years trying to identify the Innocents. It was my first known memory of having the bejesus scared out of me. When I finally found the film (a favorite of my moms), I had to buy it (happily on Bluray) and have watched it many times.

ANyway, I wonder if anyone might have an idea of the film i'm thinking of. Look forward to any replies.
For some reason, the first movie to come to mind is The Haunting (1963).
Old 10-07-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ It could be a conflation of of The Innocents and The Haunting.
Old 10-07-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ That's what I'm thinking because there are no children featured in The Haunting.
Old 10-07-10, 10:10 PM

I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but The Others is basically The Turn of the Screw from a different point of view.
Old 10-07-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This isn't it, but it reminds me of the movie "Carnival of Souls" (1962).
Old 10-08-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It got the visuals right, but didn't quite match the madcap insanity of Other.
Old 10-11-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hum, you know I used to have the Haunting but I can't find it now... I wonder if this might be what Im thinking of. I*ll have to see if I can borrow it and check it out. I have such a vivid memory of the kids. The Innocents is one of my all time favorite films... Any other recommendations along those psych horror lines would be well appreciated. Thanks again all.