Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WeeklyCinema.com -- is this legit?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-05-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this shouldn't be in this forum, and even sorrier if it's a repost . . .

I found WeeklyCinema.com on LivingSocial recently. They claim to sell movie tickets in bundles of 3-6 for only $5 per ticket. They give you a promo code that can be used on MovieTickets.com or Fandango for any participating theater with online ticketing. Each promo code is good for up to $14 and is good for any show (3D and IMAX included).

How the hell can this be legit? At $5 per ticket, someone is getting screwed. LivingSocial and Groupon have sold thousands of these across the country and to the best of my knowledge there has been no push back or complaints.

I figured I'd come to a group that I know goes to the movies quite frequently -- you guys. Anyone buy their tickets through this site? Any downsides?

WeeklyCinema
Old 10-05-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: WeeklyCinema.com -- is this legit?

WeeklyCinema is a membership-based program, you subscribe, pay $20 a month and as such get 4 movie tickets a month.

Since movie theater attendance has been down, this is a way to get people back in theaters without having to lower prices. Plus, they're kind of betting that people won't use all 4 every month. Plus, most people would bring other people along.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-05-10 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-05-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I get the concept of forcing people to get at least 4 tickets per month to hopefully turn moderate movie goers into more frequent ones -- but practically 50-65% off the full price is insane. It's more of a discount that I thought was needed to get people back into theaters. I guess I'll be signing up.
Old 10-05-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Plus, most people would bring other people along.
And a bigger plus for the theater is people will tend to buy drinks/snacks for the movie. That is where the theater makes it's money.
Old 10-05-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

getting people in the door = likelihood of them buying concessions, where the real money is made.