Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Take This Waltz (2011, Sarah Polley) Michelle Williams, Rogen, Silverman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Take This Waltz (2011, Sarah Polley) Michelle Williams, Rogen, Silverman

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Take This Waltz (2011, Sarah Polley) Michelle Williams, Rogen, Silverman

Originally Posted by CharlieK
This will be on HDNet Movies 3x the night of Wed, 6/27.
Yup, already have my DVR set
Old 06-16-12, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I may have to add HDNet Movies to my DirecTV plan. As if it wasn't already expensive enough!
Old 06-28-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone watch this last night?

Such a sad movie.

First of all, I've been married for a long time. If my wife was coming on to me, I'm not continuing to make dinner, sorry. It's no wonder she left.

BUT. She also goes on to say how she is taking a huge risk at doing it - a risk of rejection. The director of the film seems to imply that 1) it is the male's responsibility to take the risk and 2) that it is the male's responsibility alone to create the passion in a relationship. Maybe if she verbalized to her husband what she wants, he'd give it to her. Instead, she is selfish and leaves him.

As for the ending, are we to assume that the new relationship has also grown stale ('New things get old') and the relationship is on the skids? I'm not clear on the bookends of the muffin making.

I find it irritating that these types of films always involve the female disillusionment and discovery. They never seem to bear any responsibility toward the relationship and the male has all of the issues and responsibility to fix things.
Old 06-29-12, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I thought it would predictable and for a while it wasn't but then the ending was not.

Michelle Williams trying to follow Kate Winslet and do nudity for the craft of film.

Spoiler:
Was Michelle mental? Unless the other guy was not real and in her imagination plus those freaky sex scenes with 2 guys and 2 girls don't seem real and probably imagined and she was trying to fill a void in her marriage with an imaginary boyfriend. Sarah Silvermans character told her she had bigger problems than her but then again that would not make sense since the other guy drove Seth and Michelle in the rickshaw plus Seth's character invited him to the party.
Old 06-29-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't wait to get this on bd, because it wasn't around for long. Polley's last film wasn't a huge hit, but it got a lot more attention than this and without the big names (by current Hollywood standards) in the cast. I love Williams and Polley, so this would have to be garbage (and I doubt that it is) for me to not want to own it.
Old 07-11-12, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This movie is every average-dude-with-an-attractive-wife's nightmare.

God you couldn't have hit the nail harder on the head if you tried.

I really enjoyed the film. everything from the writing to the direction and acting was all fantastic. But I still left the film feeling like shit.
Old 07-11-12, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

The film was merely alright. The big problem I think is that it's underwritten. And although he's not as annoying as he usually is, it would've been better if they cast someone else instead of Rogan.

"Away From Her" was a MUCH better film... beautiful and sad. I look forward to Polley's next film She obviously learned a lot from Egoyan over the years.
Old 11-04-12, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chadm
God you couldn't have hit the nail harder on the head if you tried.

I really enjoyed the film. everything from the writing to the direction and acting was all fantastic. But I still left the film feeling like shit.
I just saw this last night and though it was very good and it's getting redundant to talk about just how good Michelle Williams is. I was so delighted by her performance, I read through some reviews and it was amazing to see the praise she gets and how several notable critics mentioned she took yet another step forward in her already brilliant career with this film.

It certainly wasn't a perfect film, not as good as Polley's first film (but one that I can relate to much more and will probably watch again more) and I'm not even exactly clear on what was fantasy and real at the end, but I must say watching Williams on her second go around on the Scrambler, this time alone, I was crying a little bit. And even if it hadn't been that emotional of a scene, I thought it was one of the most beautifully shot scenes in a very long time.

I have NEVER seen the Scrambler ride inside, with lights and music like that. Just been on it many times at fairs and large amusement parks. Anyone here ever get to experience that inside like that? Looks like A LOT of fun.

A solid B for the film, but A's across the board for Polley, Williams and the rest of the cast for effort.

I thought Silverman did a very good job with her role...the shower scene wasn't a big deal either way. Silverman didn't look bad at all, but there was really not much to the scene and certainly nothing sexual about it.