DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Dilemma (Howard, 2011) - Vince Vaugh & Kevin James comedy (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/579405-dilemma-howard-2011-vince-vaugh-kevin-james-comedy.html)

MrSmearkase 09-18-10 12:11 AM

The Dilemma (Howard, 2011) - Vince Vaugh & Kevin James comedy

Vince Vaughn and Kevin James headline an all-star comedy from director Ron Howard and producer Brian Grazer about a man who finds out that what you don't say to a friend is just as important as what you do. Jennifer Connelly, Winona Ryder, Channing Tatum and Queen Latifah join them in The Dilemma, a story of how far you can bend a brotherly bond before it snaps. Since college, confirmed bachelor Ronny (Vaughn) and happily married Nick (James) have been through thick and thin. Now partners in an auto design firm, the two pals are vying to land a dream project that would launch their company. With Ronny's girlfriend, Beth (Connelly), and Nick's wife, Geneva (Ryder), by their sides, they're unbeatable. But Ronny's world is turned upside down when he inadvertently sees Geneva out with another man and makes it his mission to get answers. As the amateur investigation dissolves his world into comic mayhem, he learns that Nick has a few secrets of his own. Now, with the clock ticking and pressure mounting on the biggest presentation of their careers, Ronny must decide what will happen if he reveals the truth to his best friend.
Release date is currently set for January 14, 2011.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2TuvhHqmp4o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2TuvhHqmp4o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

IMDb page

When I first heard about this movie, I was interested to see Ron Howard trying his hand at comedy again after a long time away from the genre, but when Queen Latifah has the best part of your trailer, there is something seriously wrong.

Deadman31 09-18-10 07:03 AM

Re: The Dilemma (Howard, 2011) - Vince Vaugh & Kevin James comedy

there is something seriously wrong. Vince Vaughn is in it.

Coral 09-18-10 07:53 AM

This looks monumentally unfunny and just horrible overall.

Didn't Kevin James already do the stupid dance moves thing in Hitch?

Dr. DVD 09-18-10 09:40 AM

The fact that its release date is mid January speaks volumes about the studio's level of confidence.

TheMovieman 09-18-10 09:54 AM

Better yet, the fact this is starring Vince Vaughn and Kevin James in something that looks utterly awful isn't surprising, but what the hell is Jennifer Connelly doing in it???

Eric D. 09-18-10 10:29 AM

It seems like a cheesy sitcom episode stretched out to film length and overly dramatized.

DonnachaOne 09-18-10 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 10377998)
Better yet, the fact this is starring Vince Vaughn and Kevin James in something that looks utterly awful isn't surprising, but what the hell is Jennifer Connelly doing in it???

Maybe there's a scene on a pier.

Coral 09-18-10 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 10377998)

It's not like Connelly has been starring in gems lately anyways... ie. The Day the Earth Stood Still, He's Just Not That Into You and Creation were pretty bad.

Tarantino 09-18-10 11:21 AM

Is this an episode of King of Queens?

Maxflier 09-18-10 11:50 AM

I love Vince Vaughn, but this doesn't look the least bit funny.

My Other Self 09-18-10 02:05 PM

Ron Howard can't exactly do much of anything right these days... especially comedy. Poor Vince Vaughn.

MrSmearkase 10-08-10 03:48 PM

Anderson Cooper's objection to the word 'gay' in the trailer prompts Universal to remove it, per Eonline.com;

Universal Studios executives have decided to replace a trailer for Vince Vaugn's new comedy, The Dilemma, after CNN newsman Anderson Cooper blasted it for its negative use of the word "gay."

"The teaser trailer for The Dilemma was not intended to cause anyone discomfort," the studio statement said. "In light of growing claims that the introduction to the trailer is insensitive, it is being replaced. A full trailer, which has been in the works for some time, will post online later today."

During an appearance yesterday on Ellen, Cooper said he first saw the trailer in which Vaughn cracks about electric cars being "gay" this weekend when he went to see a movie.

He doesn't mention Vaughn, the movie title or director Ron Howard, but said, "I was shocked that not only that they put it in the movie, but that they put that in the preview. They thought that it was OK to put that in a preview for the movie to get people to go and see it."
The trailer in the first post is still active, and the line occurs within the first 10 seconds.

GenPion 10-09-10 02:04 AM

Regardless of political correctness, that line about electric cars being gay was the only moment in the trailer I found mildly funny. The rest was dreadful.

I'll pass.

PopcornTreeCt 10-09-10 09:49 AM

Wow. Movies that use "gay" as a joke are going to seem so much funnier now because soon it will be outlawed.

dsa_shea 01-04-11 10:31 PM

The use of Cee Lo's "Fuck You" in the trailer just doesn't fit and it screams of desperation. The trailer looks lousy and makes me want to watch Gulliver's Travels (again).

DRG 01-05-11 02:07 PM

The trailer just makes this look depressing.

And I hope Anderson Cooper never watches Community. :)

PenguinJoe 01-14-11 12:45 AM

Went to a screening. Its not great but not terrible. Its a huge Chrysler commercial. The ending is cheesy and unrealistic as fuck.

America will prob make it #1 at the BO.

Throwing Copper 01-14-11 01:06 AM

I used to kind of enjoy Vince Vaughn in films many years ago, but he has just become annoying for me now.

I never liked the Mall Cop guy in anything.

I do really like Jennifer Connelly.

Deftones 01-14-11 08:49 AM

I have no desire to see this but have a question. I had no idea that Ron Howard directed this until he was on Stern yesterday. Are they advertising this is a Ron Howard movie? I have seen a few commercials and I don't remember there being any mention of him directing it.

Patman 01-14-11 08:50 AM

Yes.

RichC2 01-14-11 08:54 AM

Yes, many of the "review quotes" they use in the ads make use of Ron Howard's name.

I like almost everybody involved with this movie (Ryder, Connelly, Vaughn and James), but the movie itself looks lame.

Patman 01-15-11 06:58 PM

Besides having a long runing time for a 30 minute plotline, the other main problem is that Vince Vaughn's character's energy level at a 10 in over-performing, while the rest of the cast is at about a 5, so you can't really take anything seriously, and it's a rather drabby movie tonally speaking. Pretty disappointing effort from Ron Howard, but the script was bloated, and just didn't quite click into place.

I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.