DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   IMDB title/actor pages re-layout (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/579366-imdb-title-actor-pages-re-layout.html)

BJacks 09-20-10 05:35 PM

Re: IMDB title/actor pages re-layout

They need to make money, I don't begrudge them for monetizing the site with ads. But they could still keep it organized and put relevant content up front so users aren't forced to go digging for it. Putting some of the links at the very bottom of the page is pretty boneheaded and doesn't seem user-friendly at all.

inri222 09-20-10 05:44 PM

http://www.comicbooknoise.com/wp-con...9/01/trip7.jpg

gryffinmaster 09-20-10 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 10382552)
IMDb has spent the last 10 years getting worse and worse one little baby step at a time. What started as an excellent resource for real research has devolved into a television commercial for new releases. Now they have these ads where the whole border of every screen is an ad. And the ads aren't even for movies. Last week it was fucking Olive Garden all day.

That Gold's Gym Dance Workout Wii advertisement, which takes up tons of resources, made me want to pull the hair clean from my roots on several occasions.

Note: STILL back to the old layout for me. :up:

Boba Fett 09-20-10 07:34 PM

For what it's worth you can add /combined after any title to get back to a slightly expanded edition the old version

Numes 09-20-10 09:01 PM

A follow up from my OP. At work, it continues to be the (hopefully soon-to-be defunct) "new" layout, while at home I still see the "classic" view.

The Bus 09-20-10 09:17 PM

Right at the same height at the title, but on the right, is a feedback form. Use it. If 20 of us send negative feedback, that's a decent response level.

They need to fire whoever made this change, and get someone from Amazon (who actually knows how to design UIs) to fix this shit, quick.

I'm using Wikipedia for now.

JohnnyMovie 09-20-10 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster (Post 10382637)
Note: STILL back to the old layout for me. :up:

yup I notice I see :D

collector_cliff 09-21-10 09:06 AM

http://www.imdb.com/help/show_leaf?redesignfaq

gryffinmaster 09-21-10 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by collector_cliff (Post 10383777)

Can I change my user preferences to keep the old design?

Yes, we're creating a user preference for people who prefer to keep the current version of Title and Name pages. We're releasing that preference by Friday, September 24th.
:up:

Gunde 09-21-10 10:25 AM

Thank God. I guess a lot of people complained.

MBoyd 09-21-10 10:36 AM

Horrible. Glad there is a fix.

Kevin M. Dean 09-21-10 11:54 AM

I've still yet to see the "new" way. It remains the way it's always looked for me. Strange.

Ranger 09-21-10 02:11 PM

New design or not, the site still is a good source of info.

After looking at their pages for a while, I think all they need to do is add the option to hide 1) top billed cast 2) photos and 3) videos.

BambooLounge 09-21-10 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by collector_cliff (Post 10383777)

Thanks for posting that...I had been going nuts with the new inferior layout. Back to normal now.

meshershark 09-22-10 08:48 AM

After reading that redesign FAQ I have to wonder who are all the idiots that gave them the positive feedback and were so confused by the previous layout and don't understand the concept of a lefthand navigation menu despite it being common on web pages for a decade. I sometimes think a large portion of the populace is just too stupid to have access to the Internet; it's like handing a Rubik's cube to a raccoon.

That's great that they're offering an option to keep the old layout.

Patrick_N 09-22-10 03:01 PM

No Sir, I donīt like it.

I want information, and picture when i click only them.

korbenpl 09-23-10 08:08 AM

One day I see the new design, the next day it's all gone...to the old style I got accustomed to over the years and again the appalling new...trash.

Josh-da-man 09-23-10 10:09 PM

I've never really understood this trend for websites - particularly databases where people go to look up specific bits of trivia - to clutter themselves up with a bunch of useless crap like videoplayers, media centers, pictures, twitter/RSS/facebook/myspace feeds, etc.

I remember when TVTome did this, and I haven't used that site in years. I can now get most of the same information from wikipedia, with considerably less hassle.

Pizza 09-23-10 10:44 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that hates it. Nice to have a solution in preferences.

Drexl 09-23-10 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 10389426)
I've never really understood this trend for websites - particularly databases where people go to look up specific bits of trivia - to clutter themselves up with a bunch of useless crap like videoplayers, media centers, pictures, twitter/RSS/facebook/myspace feeds, etc.

I remember when TVTome did this, and I haven't used that site in years. I can now get most of the same information from wikipedia, with considerably less hassle.

And, with the pictures of the actors in a cast on IMDB, they're way too small to be useful. All they really do is let you know how many actors are "important" as they tend to have portraits.

davidh777 09-24-10 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 10383035)
I'm using Wikipedia for now.

For basic movie info, I've been going to wiki for a while now. IMDb is way too cluttered with movie players and the like, and that was before the redesign, which I don't like.

Groucho 09-27-10 04:42 PM

The preference to go back to the old version is now there.

I noticed they also have a "Feedback" link on the new version. But it doesn't work. :lol:

fumanstan 09-27-10 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10396675)
I noticed they also have a "Feedback" link on the new version. But it doesn't work. :lol:

It works for me. I used it a week ago, so it's been there for awhile.

Bobby Shalom 09-30-10 05:28 PM

imdb redesign - I am displeased

I did a search, and didn't see a thread about this.

Why did they redesign the site?

I am so use to the old layout, and I don't think the new design adds anything.

I would love to hear if someone likes the new design, and why.

MrSmearkase 09-30-10 05:34 PM

Re: imdb redesign - I am displeased

You're not alone ...

IMDB title/actor pages re-layout