Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Ebert presents At the Movies - January 2011

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Roger Ebert presents At the Movies - January 2011

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Roger Ebert presents At the Movies - January 2011

Missed it because whatever my dvr recorded it want this.
Local PBS in Philly seems to rarely air whatever is in the guide or never the correct time slot.
Old 11-08-11, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised no one has posted this.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011..._an_angel.html

Watching this weekend's episode now... There ARE no sponsors!
Old 11-08-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would love to watch it but Philly PBS never airs it when the guide says its on. So I always get some random artsy show instead.

From that article it looks like it won't be on much longer than a few more episodes. Too bad I liked it when I could find it on tv.
Old 11-08-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Just watched this week's episode. Man, the show is really starting to get genuinely good now, improving every week. The flow and chemistry between the two hosts just gets better and better. I hope it sticks around.

"Everyone loves John Hughes but you", made me laugh out loud.
Old 11-08-11, 07:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I won't miss it. The show has been terrible. There, I said it.
Old 12-18-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After three weeks of no episode recorded I got a half of one last night.
As usual the ep aired out of the guides time slot. Since the guide never lines up with when the show really airs I don't even know if there have been eps the last three weeks.

Anyone know when the last one is?
Old 12-18-11, 03:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
After three weeks of no episode recorded I got a half of one last night.
As usual the ep aired out of the guides time slot. Since the guide never lines up with when the show really airs I don't even know if there have been eps the last three weeks.

Anyone know when the last one is?
my dvr has been catching them all. they have had new eps the past three weeks and the last was early morn Sat. they did Young Adult, Sherlock Holmes, Alvin and Chip, among others...
Old 12-18-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was tHe one I saw, it cut off as Chipmonks started.

My local never airs anything when it is listed in the guide.
Old 12-18-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

They show it about 7 or 8 times a week here in OKC. There's at least one more episode, because the preview for next week had "Dragon Tattoo" and one of the other big holiday movies. I have heard anything official announcing it was coming to an end, just Chaz's press releases saying they needed an Angel to save the show.
Old 12-29-11, 12:10 PM

Obligatory bump because this weekend's show may be the last one. Officially, it is going on hiatus after Jan 1 while they seek sponsors. Personally, I doubt it will be back.
Old 12-29-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this is a case of lightning not striking twice. When Gene and Roger first started in '76, it wasn't a packaged formula, it was just magic. There was a void that needed to be filled that no one really knew even realized existed, and those two happened to be in the right place, at the right time, with the perfect chemistry, to fill that void.

Now Roger is trying to shoehorn the new show into a void that may no longer even exist. It reminds me of one of the set pieces in the movie Groundhog Day. On one day, Phil and Rita have an incredible "first date", during which a number of wonderful, memorable things happen completely spontaneously. On another day, Phil tries to recreate that feeling by forcing and contriving the same situations, depriving the moment of any spontaneity. He fails miserably. While the level of failure for At the Movies may not be the same, the "forced" feeling of the new show is just as real to me.

I suspect that even if Gene had been spared, and Roger had been able to avoid or overcome his health issues, their show probably would have fallen on hard times by now.
Old 12-29-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I suspect that even if Gene had been spared, and Roger had been able to avoid or overcome his health issues, their show probably would have fallen on hard times by now.
Not sure I agree. I think Ebert and Roeper had a good rapport going after an inauspiciously flaky start for Roeper. I thought Philips and Scott also fit well together, but apparently the show lost viewership under them for some reason. I haven't watched the show since they were dumped, mainly because the Buffalo PBS station doesn't carry it. I think Ebert made a grave error in his choice of hosts for the latest incarnation.
Old 12-29-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I understand what you are saying, and a part of me agrees with you. But my hunch isn't based on the chemistry of the new hosts, it is simply the fact that times have changed. More people get their movie review fix from Rotten Tomatoes/Flixster and social networking sites these days than they do from TV or traditional print media.
Old 12-29-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Not sure I agree. I think Ebert and Roeper had a good rapport going after an inauspiciously flaky start for Roeper. I thought Philips and Scott also fit well together, but apparently the show lost viewership under them for some reason.
It wasn't with Philips and Scott, but with Ben and Ben (Lyons and Mankiewicz) that the show lost a lot of viewership. Philips and Scott were starting to turn it around, but Disney canceled it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...-ebert-at.html
The new "At the Movies," [with Ben and Ben] which premiered in September, has already earned raspberries from some critics. Audiences don't seem impressed, either. Ratings for the first two months have slumped 23%, to 1.7 million total viewers, compared with the same period last year, according to figures from Nielsen Media Research. Among the crucial category of adults ages 25 to 54, the program is off 25% (from a 0.8 rating to a 0.6).
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/26/ar.../26cancel.html
The next year Mr. Phillips and Mr. Scott became hosts... While the show was still profitable and its ratings improved over the version hosted by the two Bens, according to several people close to the production of the show, Disney found the economic vital signs too discouraging to continue.
I found Philips and Scott to be a good pair. I've been watching the new show too, and I think Christy and Ignatiy have grown into their roles well. However, I do think RoboDad is correct that with new venues for getting reviews, it's harder to grab viewers. However, I do think that if it was still Siskel and Ebert, they likely would've managed to have kept enough viewers for the show to still be on. Hell, even if Ben Lyons hadn't been hired and they hadn't tried to shake up the formula so much, it likely could've retained viewers better than it did. But once people dropped it, they likely didn't see a need to come back.
Old 12-29-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I understand what you are saying, and a part of me agrees with you. But my hunch isn't based on the chemistry of the new hosts, it is simply the fact that times have changed. More people get their movie review fix from Rotten Tomatoes/Flixster and social networking sites these days than they do from TV or traditional print media.
True but it's safe to say that Siskel and Ebert would have changed with the times as well. Ebert uses Twitter constantly and blogs all the time, I'd bet that if Siskel were alive he would at least do some internet stuff, plus their archive would have stayed online throughout the years. It was offline for a while, but it only recently came back. It would be cool if Ebert had links to the video reviews for each applicable written review, something like that to tie it all together.
Old 01-01-12, 10:24 AM

This episode had Best & Worst of 2011 and a bit at the end with Roger and Chaz saying goodbye and telling viewers to check the website for future info. Definitely seemed like the end.
Old 01-02-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
This episode had Best & Worst of 2011 and a bit at the end with Roger and Chaz saying goodbye and telling viewers to check the website for future info. Definitely seemed like the end.
The fact that it's "Best & Worst" in a single episode instead of the usual 2 separate episodes (with one for each) is a tell-tale sign that it's the last one.
Old 01-02-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

A blog post from Chaz Ebert confirming that the "Best and Worst of 2011" episode was the last one, and commenting on the future of the show:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011...s_from_ch.html

Variety article from a few weeks back about the show going on hiatus:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118047380/

Some interesting notes from the links:

1) The show averaged around 1 million viewers
2) It was largely self-funded by Ebert. PBS didn't fund the show at all. The Kanbar Charitable Trust gave a $25,000 grant, but that was it for outside funds.
3) They're currently looking for sponsors, a new network, or a "new platform" for the show.
4) A Kickstarter campaign was briefly considered, but they're currently pursuing other funding options.
Old 06-15-12, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In retrospect, I like Richard Roeper much more.